+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to Do AFTER you Land in Montreal [Newcomers to CANADA]

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Oke thats nice
What about Jobs n business i heared that without french its hard to work there and french language need about 2 years
Is that true or just rumors?

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
Thanks for the informative post dear...

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
nawabsaab said:
Oke thats nice
What about Jobs n business i heared that without french its hard to work there and french language need about 2 years
Is that true or just rumors?
Statistically speaking, only 22% of Canadians speak french as their mother tongue. Although french is not compulsory to learn, it is an added advantage. Moreover, regarding jobs, it solely depends on what kind of job are you applying for. French is not compulsory for jobs in Canada. There are many people who are doing work and they hardly know french. You also have to consider that this is a primarily french speaking province, and if you, as an immigrant, want to contribute and integrate with this society, you will eventually have to communicate in french.

Regarding learning of french, No, it doesn't take 2 years. It depends on you actually. If you are a fast learner, have determination and will to learn and engage with people who speak french, you can even learn in 3 to 6 months. So, whatever you are hearing are mostly rumors. In short, you can still do business and work even if you are not well-versed in french.

JMOBhatti said:
Thanks for the informative post dear...
My pleasure Bro! Glad I could help.

Reactions: qureishi

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Hi there,

Thanks for the very informative post. I am sure it will be of great help for all of us here.

We are planning to do our first landing in Montreal in March 2016, stay for 2 weeks and return back to our home country. We plan migrate to Montreal by the end of the next year.

As we will only be staying in Quebec for 2 weeks in March 2016, is it mandatory for us to show the proof of funds (for family of 3). Upon landing we will be informing the immigration officer that we will be staying for 2 weeks and then return back permanently later that year.

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Actually bro it took about 3 months to give u pr medocal card sin etc. .so i would suggest u take all those things becoz if u go outside then it ll be lil difficult rest i would say xpress bro cn suggest u perfect

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
atzquebec said:
Hi there,

Thanks for the very informative post. I am sure it will be of great help for all of us here.

We are planning to do our first landing in Montreal in March 2016, stay for 2 weeks and return back to our home country. We plan migrate to Montreal by the end of the next year.

As we will only be staying in Quebec for 2 weeks in March 2016, is it mandatory for us to show the proof of funds (for family of 3). Upon landing we will be informing the immigration officer that we will be staying for 2 weeks and then return back permanently later that year.
nawabsaab said:
Actually bro it took about 3 months to give u pr medocal card sin etc. .so i would suggest u take all those things becoz if u go outside then it ll be lil difficult rest i would say xpress bro cn suggest u perfect
There are few things you have to keep in mind with "stay only for two weeks" statement

1) After landing process is complete, you will become Permanent Resident, and are allowed to live, study and work anywhere in Canada. But a lot would depend on your intentions to stay in Canada on permanent basis ... and what you would tell CBSA officer. However, you must state your intentions clear that you will be staying in canada indefinitely. Once you are in Canada, you can leave after two weeks. You do not have to mention to CBSA officer, because this may complicate your landing process. Once you become permanent resident, all you have to do is live minimum of 2 out of 5 years. Remember that during landing process, CBSA officers are also assessing if you are a genuine person who is actually willing to reside in Canada or not. So, don't tell anything which they haven't asked you.

2) PR Cards are mailed later (current processing time for new immigrants is 42 days). It's highly advisable that you wait for your PR card before going ahead with your overseas travel plans. You can certainly give address of your friends or relatives INSIDE Canada. If you have come via Quebec programs, I would suggest giving any address in Quebec where you can receive them. CIC is not reliable when you change your address at later stage (at least not with mine).

3) You can leave Canada anytime you want and no one will stop you. However, upon re-entering Canada via commercial vehicle (such as via plane or boat), you MUST present your PR card. If you are coming via a private vehicle or transport (such as a car or a private jet), your CoPR will be acceptable by CBSA officials, even if you do not have PR card.

4) You can apply for Travel Document (PRTD) from the nearest Canadian embassy if your PR card is still under process. However, if your PR card is processed and delivered IN Canada, you will not be issued PRTD. You must ask your family members to post your PR card overseas (to you), and if you lose that PR card in transit, you'll be having a tedious task ahead of you.

5) Once you land, if you do NOT have your friends or family in Canada, use a UPS mailbox. Read my previous posts where I've covered it in much detail.

Hope these would answer your questions!

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Xpress Bro i am going to bother you for few questions.

1. How is the climate in Montreal ? I know it has temperature below 0 , so the normal warmer from India will work fine ? Because i am not able to find special sort of Jackets which ensure warm in such cold place.

2. I am getting good deal in British Airways , I havnt booked my ticket yet but most probably i ll go for British Airline . I want to know if you have any experience with there service or any other airline you like to suggest.

3. As you have spended good enough time in Montreal would you like to suggest something important which i must carry with me. ( I am carrying my all Education , Medical , Driving , Sports Certificates )

4. Can you give me some information about private insurance as because my Mother usually get sick in new climate so i am thinking to buy private insurance for her till we get our Medical cover from Govt.

5. Do i need to apply for going in Usa for work or visit ? Or can i get visa on arrival because of PR card ?

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
nawabsaab said:
1. How is the climate in Montreal ? I know it has temperature below 0 , so the normal warmer from India will work fine ? Because i am not able to find special sort of Jackets which ensure warm in such cold place.
If you are coming to Quebec .... MAKE NO MISTAKE ... You will see loads and loads of SNOW. There's a reason Canada is famous for its winter sports, so you have to take this to your advantage. Otherwise, you'll just get bored. Mind you, Quebec even have rules for car tires in winter. You must use 'Winter Tires' during winters in Quebec. Now, for clothing ... I bought a few jackets from England and they were the best in the market, however they didn't really work in here. In Quebec, most jackets have ratings (such as suitable for -20°C or for -40°C ... and so on). So, I would say, you will get better suitable clothing inside Canada. THIS is the kind of jackets you should be buying for winter. You can also find good range of 2nd hand jackets from Salvation Army stores or Renaissance

nawabsaab said:
2. I am getting good deal in British Airways , I havnt booked my ticket yet but most probably i ll go for British Airline . I want to know if you have any experience with there service or any other airline you like to suggest.
I've used British Airways when I was in England. It's not one of the best, but it's not bad either. Other airlines are Emirates, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines. You can choose any airlines as most are good ones.

nawabsaab said:
3. As you have spended good enough time in Montreal would you like to suggest something important which i must carry with me. ( I am carrying my all Education , Medical , Driving , Sports Certificates )
Carry all of your educational and professional documents, medical prescriptions, driving licenses and record (and insurance record if you have any). You must also make sure you are carrying enough funds for each of your family members as well. Go through CIC Checklist for more information as they cover almost everything you would be needing here.

nawabsaab said:
4. Can you give me some information about private insurance as because my Mother usually get sick in new climate so i am thinking to buy private insurance for her till we get our Medical cover from Govt.
For medical insurance related information, kindly go through this first : http://accmontreal.org/treatment/planning-on-moving-to-quebec/ ... and let me know if you have understood it completely.

nawabsaab said:
5. Do i need to apply for going in Usa for work or visit ? Or can i get visa on arrival because of PR card ?
PR Card = Permanent Residence Card. It is issued by Govt. of Canada, therefore it is only valid within Canada. Before 9/11, USA use to accept Canadian PR cards for entry purposes, but not now. However Canadians still accept US Green Card for entry purposes. For US, it would depend on your current nationality. If you are an indian national, you will have to apply for visa and there is a mandatory interview. Do not make mistake of applying straight away after landing in Canada as you may not have an established presence in Canada yet.

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Xpress Bro i was just reading your post when you arrive canada.
Bro you mention that you were asked about CoPR Passport and CSQ , i just recently checked that i have CSQ Printed copy , is that one act like orignal ? Did you get that on email or is there original hard copy of CSQ.

2. They ask for the phone no and address , i can provide address but Mobile Connection is possible on Next Day . So Do i need to buy international number ? and you mention 200 $ monthly charges , its for only connection or handset is also included ?

3. Can i carry as much gold i want without paying any kind of tax or custom duty for it ?

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes. They ask you to present quite a few things actually.

1) CBSA officials will ask you to present your Passports, CoPR and CSQ along with Declaration form (which you will get inside plane)

Regarding CoPR and CSQ, you must have received TWO copies of each document for each person via post. At the time of landing, one copy will be for you and other copy will be kept by CBSA officer. I got mine via post. They do look like printouts, but they are the original ones.

2) Address is more important than a telephone number. You can give any of your friend's or relative's telephone number. You can get a UPS address before arriving here in Canada. This would be very useful for many of your paperwork until you find a proper place to stay.

As for the number, I would suggest you use apps like NextPlus and get a free canadian online number (anything free would have ads on it, but hey... it works). Later on when you arrive here, get a sim plan with any cellular provider. I think Chatr is the cheapest cellphone service provider around here. If you want to add a canadian number to your skype account, go to skypeincanada.ca or virtufon.com

3) You can carry as much gold as you want to and you won't have to pay any tax, but you must take photos of each item (or set of items), weigh it in and write an estimated price. You will have to give these copies to them.

Detailed Information : Crossing the border: documents you need

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Hello Xpress bro hows you doing ?
bro i have a question to ask . I ll be landing in Montreal Airport (YUL) on 31 May 2016 on probably 8.30 PM . So according to your post i guess we ll be free in 2 hours and next step in to get Sin number Medical Registration and bank account formalities.
Bro we have to visit service canada next day ? along with bank ?

And how much cash you think i should carry , just for like normal living till i get debit card from Canadian bank. Because using my Indian card will charge me every time for transition , currency conversion etc etc.

If its possible to complete all the formalities by next day then i am willing to do that . If the appointment is given by them then how much days they casually take.

And Yes for Other Members regarding PRIVATE INSURANCE

As all know we have to wait for 3 months till we get the medical cover so having a private insurance is a good idea in that period.
I am applying private insurance from HDFC bank ( India , You can consult acc to your place )
They are offering me Couple Insurance For 60 + 30 Days ( Age less than 60 years )
for only 12000 Rs approx
Which is going to cover 100 , 000 $ ( 50 k each) , So i guess its very good deal because medical treatment can be real expensive as well as Private Insurance in Canada So i would suggest you to visit your bank before departure may be they can offer you better option.

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Dear nawabsaab,

I am fine. I believe your preparations are also in full swing.

BANKS
You can always go on Wednesday (1st June) to any of the banks with your relevant documents, but you'll need to go to Service Canada first to get your SIN. That is more important. Banks do open accounts without SIN, but they would need to have that ASAP to offer you anything else.

SIN
Yes, you can go the very next day. Arrive at Service Canada centre at 8:15am. They open at 8:30am. Be the first ones to enter and you'll get your SIN in no time. Otherwise, you'll have to wait and people would start coming in. For more information, go through my thread and you'll find information in much detail.

MONEY PER PERSON
You are allowed to bring as much cash as you can, but if you are bringing $10K or more / person, you must declare the actual amount you are bringing (including Canadian Dollars as well as any other currencies). Your total in Canadian Dollars must also include any other non-canadian currencies, if you are bringing any. You'll need to convert ₹ in CAD and add it to the total. Don't worry, you will not be taxed on this money. They just want to make sure you are bringing legitimate funds. You can also bring funds in other forms, such as bank drafts, cheques, money orders, securities in bearer form, etc). If you are in India, you can open a Canadian bank account before arriving in Canada. Banks like RBC, BMO and ScotiaBank offer such facilities. They allow one transfer of around $50K or so. That way, your money will be in Canada when you arrive. You'll have to visit branch to activate your account and access to your funds. It's always advisable to keep cash with you at all times until you have a bank card.

Use Proof of funds table to calculate how much of minimum funds you would require according to your family members.

Some countries, like Pakistan, have put limits of exporting of foreign currencies (cannot take out of Pakistan US$10K or more per person). You may have up to 3 years to import goods purchased with this money in your former country. However, you must show CBSA proof that you faced restrictions. (source)

PRIVATE INSURANCE
As for private insurance in your home country, you must make sure your insurance plan is covering Canada too (and not just India).

What you are looking for is Visitors to Canada insurance plans. To get private insurance, you can use the OmbudService Insurance Finder (can choose from 30 of them) or look in the Yellow Pages (look for insurance brokers. Brokers represent several different insurance companies and can tell you about your choices). Get quotes from them online or via Phone. You can use Google Hangout to call anywhere in Canada and USA for free, so use it to calls these companies to get accurate quotes.

SIM / MOBILE PHONE / CELLPHONE
Unfortunately, it's not that easy in Canada to get a sim card. Sims are usually available from their own stores. It's always advisable to bring your own cellphone. North American GSM uses 850/1900 MHz , UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900Mhz, LTE 1700/2600, AWS 1700/2100 frequencies. As far as I know, you won't be able to find sim card at Montreal airport.

You can get Canadian prepaid sim before you arrive in Canada by buying it on eBay and find the ones you want. Some sellers even activate sim for you after you have made successful purchase, ask seller first before making purchase and inquire about delivery time too. Also make sure the sim you are ordering have coverage in your chosen province. Most sim cards alone would cost from 0$ to $10.

7Eleven is selling their own prepaid sim, SPEAKOUT 7-ELEVEN PREPAID SERVICE. So, you may be able to get sim at Toronto Pearson Airport. There are 2 7Elevens there. (Before-Security Level 1 Arrivals & Terminal 1, Before-Security (International), Located in 6B, Value Park Garage, Level 4). They are open 24/7. You can call 9056712875 & 9056737953 respectively to verify if they have it over there or not. They also sell long-distance phone cards as well. Sorry, but I couldn't find any shop selling prepaid sims at Aéroports de Montréal.

You can find suitable packages for yourself using comparison websites, such as Whistleout

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Ty so much again bro ,
Your Post is Helping me out everytime ;D
I actually have 1 international number i ll carry that one with me. or i ll use the apps you mention before
Yes Private Insurance is going to cover in Canada too. :)

Songsort

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2015
XpressEnterprise said:
3) You can leave Canada anytime you want and no one will stop you. However, upon re-entering Canada via commercial vehicle (such as via plane or boat), you MUST present your PR card. If you are coming via a private vehicle or transport (such as a car or a private jet), your CoPR will be acceptable by CBSA officials, even if you do not have PR card.
Love the red part. :D :D
But it's not entirely impractical. One can land in the US and drive across the border with CoPR.

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Songsort,

Yeah, you can proceed with your Landing in Canada by passing through US land border, but only if your country is listed under Visa Waiver Program or you already have valid US visa.