+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

They need more evidence of our relationship?

Picklewizard

Oct 3, 2018
Hi, I just need a little assistance with this. They need more proof of relationship, and here is what I sent them with the application:

• Jointly signed rental agreement
  • Photocopies of our IDs (same address)
  • Photocopies of our pay stubs (same address)
  • Photocopies of our bank statements (also same address..)
  • Several photos of us together
  • My facebook page showing we've been together since 2015
  • Letters from each of my parents and his parents
Our bank accounts are separate, and we pay things separately, i.e. He pays the rent and I pay everything else, so most things are in my name. If what we sent is not enough, what more can we do? I was thinking we could send them the declaration of common law relationship, but that's about all I can think of.. maybe more letters from friends and extended family? We're young and don't have any assets aside from the car we own. We both paid for it, but he sent me money and I went and did the paperwork myself since I drive and he doesn't.

Would it help if I also had a letter from our landlord or something?

Thank you

ishyfishy

Star Member
Dec 5, 2019
Do they need cohabitation proof? Or proof of financial support?
Did you include bank statements spanning 12 months?

A few things we included,
- joint costco membership
- amazon receipts showing one of us as the billing name, and the other as the shipping name (spanning few months)
- my partner added to my credit card as an authorized user
- tenant insurance with both our names on it
- notice of assessment going to same address
- changing status to common law on CRA website (screenshots)
- printout of all flights we booked together
- email printout of all airbnbs, hotels, etc we booked
- christmas cards addressing you and your partner?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I just need a little assistance with this. They need more proof of relationship, and here is what I sent them with the application:

Our bank accounts are separate, and we pay things separately, i.e. He pays the rent and I pay everything else, so most things are in my name. If what we sent is not enough, what more can we do? I was thinking we could send them the declaration of common law relationship, but that's about all I can think of.. maybe more letters from friends and extended family? We're young and don't have any assets aside from the car we own. We both paid for it, but he sent me money and I went and did the paperwork myself since I drive and he doesn't.

Thank you
Was it definitely more relationship proof or was it more common-law proof?

Reactions: takitfree

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016

Thank you
Unfortunately those things don't really show a relationship. My daughter and her friend (platonic bestie) have the first 5 items on your list. What CIC are looking for are proof of your marriage-like relationship. Shared bank accounts, naming each other on your insurance policies, wills naming each other as beneficiary, statements of how your relationship started and grew (from each of you - your love story), joint bills, etc. Basically the things that married couples would have.

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019

Thank you
Does your signed rental agreement show a start date proving you have been living together for one year? This is crucial. You can have everything else cards , memberships etc...shared bank accounts, that stuff is good, But most importantly you have to prove you have been living under the same roof, continuously for a period of one year preceding the date you signed your application. Try to look at your file objectively . Have you proven 1 year co-habitation with sufficient documentary evidence?

wasiqjaved

Sep 15, 2007
Evidence of cohabitation may include:

- joint bank accounts or credit cards
- joint ownership of residential property
- joint residential leases
- joint rental receipts
- joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone)
- joint management of household expenditures
- evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items
- correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address
- important documents of both parties showing the same address, for example, identification documents, driver’s licenses, insurance policies
- shared responsibility for household management, household chores
- children of one or both partners are residing with the couple
- record of telephone calls

Obviously, list is non-exhaustive. You may and should include literally anything where you guys share names and addresses. It could be credit card, online shopping, private health or life insurance, tenancy agreement, sworn statement (like this) stamped/signed/dated by Oath Commissioner, etc.

Relationships are based on FOUR factors to affirm interdependency:
  • FINANCIAL
  • SOCIAL
  • PHYSICAL
  • EMOTIONAL
Everything you submit is collectively assessed based on "balance of probability" of 50.1% likelihood (on bare minimum evidence) of something to have occurred for them to become satisfied that relationship is genuine.