+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"The sponsor has lived separate and apart from the foreign national for at least one year" ??

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I was reading on Laws and Regulations website about the Family Class rules and came across this info :

Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class

Excluded relationships
  • 125 (1) A foreign national shall not be considered a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class by virtue of their relationship to the sponsor if

• (c) the foreign national is the sponsor’s spouse and

• (ii) the sponsor has lived separate and apart from the foreign national for at least one year and

Its on this page -- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-28.html#docCont

DIVISION 2 - 125 c(ii)

So how does this work for arranged marriages? Even if I have a girlfriend who comes to Canada and gets married to me, we would have still lived separately during our relationship.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I was reading on Laws and Regulations website about the Family Class rules and came across this info :

Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class

Excluded relationships
  • 125 (1) A foreign national shall not be considered a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class by virtue of their relationship to the sponsor if

• (c) the foreign national is the sponsor’s spouse and

• (ii) the sponsor has lived separate and apart from the foreign national for at least one year and

Its on this page -- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-28.html#docCont

DIVISION 2 - 125 c(ii)

So how does this work for arranged marriages? Even if I have a girlfriend who comes to Canada and gets married to me, we would have still lived separately during our relationship.
You're ignoring the "and" clause. Read the whole section.

• (ii) the sponsor has lived separate and apart from the foreign national for at least one year AND
    • (A) the sponsor is the common-law partner of another person or the sponsor has a conjugal partner, or

• (B) the foreign national is the common-law partner of another person or the conjugal partner of another sponsor

Reactions: frightenedpanda

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
You're ignoring the "and" clause. Read the whole section.

• (ii) the sponsor has lived separate and apart from the foreign national for at least one year AND
    • (A) the sponsor is the common-law partner of another person or the sponsor has a conjugal partner, or

• (B) the foreign national is the common-law partner of another person or the conjugal partner of another sponsor
Thankyou for pointing that out. I am much more calmer now :p