+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The reality of getting a job through LMIA?

MarcusUK

Apr 21, 2015
Hi All,

Does anybody know what the reality is of getting a job in the Toronto IT market for a UK citizen requiring a LMIA?
I am an IT Solutions Architect (NOC 2173). I have just lead several cloud migration projects for the 2nd largest retailer in the UK.
I am towards the top of my field on a good salary.
I have 394 points for EE.
I am 37. I have a degree in Maths. I have full points on IELTS. I cannot improve my score.
I am not the sort of person that will sit around and hope that the draw goes down.
This process is obviously heavily weighted towards people who get offered work in Canada.
The very fact that you get 600 points for a LMIA approved job shows that all other educational, age, and experience factors are actually irrelevant in comparison to this.
If you get a LMIA approved job you get 600 points and you get PR. That is clearly the design.
So the CIC obviously wants the onus to be on the employers to grant LMIAs, but what is the reality of this actually happening?
In the brief few weeks that I have been contacting Toronto recruiters and employers regarding the LMIA process I have not got very far.
I am planning on just going to Toronto next month to start looking for work.
Does anyone have any first-hand experience of trying to secure a job and needing the employer to go through the LMIA process?

Thanks

Marcus

P.S: (My views on the process)…
From the outside it seems that the CIC wants the onus to be on employers to offer jobs via LMIAs, so they may keep the points needed to be drawn for EE artificially high by drawing less people, which then forces people like me to try and get a job via LMIA.
But it also seems that employers are not really geared up to go through the LMIA process for foreign candidates. (I hope I am wrong)
Also age weighs heavily on qualifying for EE. If I was 29 I would have 438 points and would stand a much better chance of getting drawn.
But this then means that people with less experience are more likely to get drawn.
It just seems like the whole process might be a bit catch 22 and actually end up weakening the employment market in the long run.
What are people’s thoughts on this?

DHM

Apr 17, 2015
Hello.
I was in a very similar situation and after a lot of research (and expense) I've realised that EE isn't really going to work for me, and I'll probably follow the Self-Employed route.

One thing I'd suggest you look at asap (apologies if you already have) is the 'Come to Canada Tool', as the CRS scores mean nothing if you aren't eligible to apply in the first place. A few people have posted here that they have been disappointed in this regard.

I can't post links but just Google 'CIC Come to Canada Tool' and follow the 'check your eligibility' route. Good luck!

MarcusUK

Apr 21, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for replying but yes I have already completed that tool and I am in the EE pool under FSW with 394 points.

The problem is that I am finishing my UK projects in the next few weeks and I am not prepared to wait around and see if the points to be drawn for PR drops to 394. It might take months, if it even ever happens at all.

I can afford to not work for a few months so I am planning to go to Toronto to try and find work.

I am just concerned that I will not even get a look in for job applications if I require a LMIA.

Has anyone actively sought work in Toronto in the IT sector as a foreign worker that required employers to go through the LMIA process?

I am finding it very hard to get any information on how realistic this is. Any information would be welcome.

Thanks

Marcus

Reactions: ElopezHN

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarcusUK said:
Hi,

Thanks for replying but yes I have already completed that tool and I am in the EE pool under FSW with 394 points.

The problem is that I am finishing my UK projects in the next few weeks and I am not prepared to wait around and see if the points to be drawn for PR drops to 394. It might take months, if it even ever happens at all.

I can afford to not work for a few months so I am planning to go to Toronto to try and find work.

I am just concerned that I will not even get a look in for job applications if I require a LMIA.

Has anyone actively sought work in Toronto in the IT sector as a foreign worker that required employers to go through the LMIA process?

I am finding it very hard to get any information on how realistic this is. Any information would be welcome.

Thanks

Marcus
Although I am not in your area and therefore don't understand exactly what you do, my idea is that those in the highly technical IT positions don't have a problem getting LMIAs because there are not enough qualified Canadians. My brother is a senior software engineer in Silicon Valley, and Canada has been actively recruiting (some would say poaching) the foreigners working there, promising an easier route to PR than the US offers.

I think your idea of setting up a trip to Toronto for interviews is an excellent one, and you might even let prospective employers know that you are going to need an LMIA in order to be able to come as a PR.

Good luck!

Seby25

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hakuna Matata
MarcusUK said:
Hi All,

Does anybody know what the reality is of getting a job in the Toronto IT market for a UK citizen requiring a LMIA?
I am an IT Solutions Architect (NOC 2173). I have just lead several cloud migration projects for the 2nd largest retailer in the UK.
I am towards the top of my field on a good salary.
I have 394 points for EE.
I am 37. I have a degree in Maths. I have full points on IELTS. I cannot improve my score.
I am not the sort of person that will sit around and hope that the draw goes down.
This process is obviously heavily weighted towards people who get offered work in Canada.
The very fact that you get 600 points for a LMIA approved job shows that all other educational, age, and experience factors are actually irrelevant in comparison to this.
If you get a LMIA approved job you get 600 points and you get PR. That is clearly the design.
So the CIC obviously wants the onus to be on the employers to grant LMIAs, but what is the reality of this actually happening?
In the brief few weeks that I have been contacting Toronto recruiters and employers regarding the LMIA process I have not got very far.
I am planning on just going to Toronto next month to start looking for work.
Does anyone have any first-hand experience of trying to secure a job and needing the employer to go through the LMIA process?

Thanks

Marcus

P.S: (My views on the process)...
From the outside it seems that the CIC wants the onus to be on employers to offer jobs via LMIAs, so they may keep the points needed to be drawn for EE artificially high by drawing less people, which then forces people like me to try and get a job via LMIA.
But it also seems that employers are not really geared up to go through the LMIA process for foreign candidates. (I hope I am wrong)
Also age weighs heavily on qualifying for EE. If I was 29 I would have 438 points and would stand a much better chance of getting drawn.
But this then means that people with less experience are more likely to get drawn.
It just seems like the whole process might be a bit catch 22 and actually end up weakening the employment market in the long run.
What are people's thoughts on this?
Marcus getting a LMAI report could be quite challenging especially for IT industry..

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you offer and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.

The Employer needs to submit an application to the 'Service Canada Center' and also pay some fee(around $500 i guess. Not sure)..Employer also needs to put the Job offer open to all in the Job Bank for 28 days. He also needs to advertise the Job opening in any two national media for 28 days.. If no one in Canada comes for/is eligible for that Job then CIC will give the LMIA to the Employer for your Job after 28day period..( Its more like Rocket science.. :) )

However things could be favorable if you personally visit Canada..

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Also there is a requirement on prevalent wage.

Advertisement is on Job bank or Provincial job board, plus at least 1 private job board.

MarcusUK

Apr 21, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I understand that the LMIA is definitely difficult for certain industries as my cousin in Toronto owns businesses in the bar and restaurant sector and is having issues trying to keep some of his staff that have worked for him for years.

I had however been led to believe that big multi-national companies are more aligned to recruiting candidates through the process, particularly in high skilled IT roles that are in demand. This is the whole purpose of listing certain NOC codes such as 2173 as being in demand and therefore suitable for EE qualification I presume. This is what I'm trying to clarify though before I actually go there.

I will continue to contact IT recruiters in Toronto as I guess they are best place to answer. If anyone has any particular experience or knowledge of the IT sector in Toronto in regards to the LMIA process however then please let me know.

Thanks

Seby25

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hakuna Matata
MarcusUK said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I understand that the LMIA is definitely difficult for certain industries as my cousin in Toronto owns businesses in the bar and restaurant sector and is having issues trying to keep some of his staff that have worked for him for years.

I had however been led to believe that big multi-national companies are more aligned to recruiting candidates through the process, particularly in high skilled IT roles that are in demand. This is the whole purpose of listing certain NOC codes such as 2173 as being in demand and therefore suitable for EE qualification I presume. This is what I'm trying to clarify though before I actually go there.

I will continue to contact IT recruiters in Toronto as I guess they are best place to answer. If anyone has any particular experience or knowledge of the IT sector in Toronto in regards to the LMIA process however then please let me know.

Thanks
Marcus..2173 is one noc that gets filled very fast most of the times..There are many students who did their PG in Canada and are currently in Canada on PGWP.. So the law mandates that if employers cant find fitting candidates in Canada then only they can recruit from outside Canada..

johnjholland

Jan 5, 2015
HI Marcus I feel your pain I work as a network admin BSc in computer networking 12 years exp I feel as if every door you try to open in closed let me know how you get on I finish my MSc in the next 6 months hopefully that will give me more points, but because I am 40 now think about oz which seems a lot more easier rather than waiting for a draw

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Couple of things, an LMIA application including a work permit is $1000. the employer needs to pay this, you can't. LMIA applications are extremely detailed, need a lot of work to them, transition plans, proof of advertising for 4 weeks (adverts need to stay up for the entire process), who applied, who was interviewed, why they weren't suitable, why you are, where the job is, the pay needs to meet a certain level and how the employer plans to help the foreign worker integrate. The employer will be audited as part of this.
Keep in mind, LMIA applications have a very high refusal rate, its definitely over 50%, I've heard it is about 70% but that could be wrong. So it's a lot of work and money for something that in all likelihood will be declined and that's why a lot of employers don't particularly want to do them and will only do it if they genuinely can't find a Canadian.
The ones I've heard of being approved are for people in trades, Canada has a lack of tradespeople and needs foreigners to do that work. There are a lot of IT people, especially in cities. You'd need to have someone who's basically willing to write a job specification that describes you to a T; so no one else can match it or find a job in a more remote area (Canadians don't seem to like moving around for work).

All that being said, its not impossible and I would encourage you to come and meet employers and see what they say; I don't work in the IT industry, I'm just telling you what I know of the LMIA application process.

thoughts on the process: its weighted more towards professionals and workers that Canada needs. If you get an LMIA its because they've proven they can't get a Canadian and need you. Can't blame them for trying to close the gaps where unskilled people were getting in.
beyond the people they need, its weighted towards the people they feel will be able to contribute most to Canada and integrate best - age, language skills etc.
so they want first and foremost, the people with skills they need. secondly, young educated people who will contribute to the economy rather than (potentially) being a drain on social care/health systems in the near future. Which makes sense as far as an immigration policy goes

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarcusUK - given that you've been working in the UK, why are you so interested in applying for PR to Canada?

katja2684

Jan 31, 2015
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To the OP - besides the LMIA, the system gives more points to those with Canadian experience.i think this influences your skill transferability points too.you get 40 additional points for 1 year of Canadian work experience. Since the last draws had only 10-20 points difference in the cutoff score,the points for Canadian experience weigh a lot.

Canadiense85

Star Member
Jul 10, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2015
Doc's Request.
Waiting ...
This is another example of Express Entry weakness, it counts on age more than experience, hence they end up overlooking experienced / talented individuals. ::)