+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

the G1 driver test in Ontario : big problem!!

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,

I don't understand this weird system in Ontario. If I want to drive, as a new-comer, for my work, I've to pass first the G1 test, then I've to wait 1 year (!!!!) before passing the G1 road test in order to drive alone!!!
And if I want to drive after the G1 test, I need to be with a full licensed driver (4 years of experience) each time I drive...but if I'm alone, I can't drive, I just have to wait one year or 8 months (if I hire an instructor) before the G1 road test.

So basically, here in Ontario, it's impossible to drive alone for one year (or 8 months) unless you're accompanied with a full licensed each time you take your car.

So basically, I am screwed for my new life.

Or maybe I am missing something ?

PS. And I can't exchange my foreign driver's license, it's expired and I can't go back to my country, and the consulate doesn't renew it.

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I don't understand this weird system in Ontario. If I want to drive, as a new-comer, for my work, I've to pass first the G1 test, then I've to wait 1 year (!!!!) before passing the G1 road test in order to drive alone!!!
And if I want to drive after the G1 test, I need to be with a full licensed driver (4 years of experience) each time I drive...but if I'm alone, I can't drive, I just have to wait one year or 8 months (if I hire an instructor) before the G1 road test.

So basically, here in Ontario, it's impossible to drive alone for one year (or 8 months) unless you're accompanied with a full licensed each time you take your car.

PS. And I can't exchange my foreign driver's license, it's expired and I can't go back to my country, and the consulate doesn't renew it.

Thanks.
My spouse was able to take the test to the next level (whatever the name is, where you can drive on your own) only shortly after the G1. That was after we went to some effort to get driver's abstract, I think it may have helped that she'd had a north american license before. (She actually could have gone straight to the full G license test but she booked it incorrectly and then decided it diddn't matter for her.)

IOr perhaps she was able to test right away because she was over 18? Can't remember.

And yes, it is a weird system if you can't get your previous license recognized.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So sorry I can't recall exactly what she did - the two things were that she had a current foreign driver's license and the abstract translated and all that, but also some info that she'd had driver's licenses in a couple US states ages ago. I don't know which of these was the thing that made the difference.

But again the key thing was that she did not have to wait for the full year to take the test for the G2 (I think that's the name of the one where you can drive without an adult). It turned out that she could have gone straight to full-G but made a mistake booking. For our purposes didn't much matter, as long as she can drive on her own.

Hope that helps. I'll try to find out more but it was complicated and meant she had to go to the driver testing centre more times than she wanted. On the positive side most times if first thing in the morning, the lines were minimal. (I understand possibly after Ontario opened a lot of testing centres to deal with the backlog)

Reactions: Idrissrafd

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
you cant mail it home and have someone there renew for you?? My spouse was able to have our consulate write a letter attesting his license was a valid one and with that letter you can do the g1 written test and then use your letter to claim 1 year experience to get the g2 immediately.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
you cant mail it home and have someone there renew for you?? My spouse was able to have our consulate write a letter attesting his license was a valid one and with that letter you can do the g1 written test and then use your letter to claim 1 year experience to get the g2 immediately.
Unfortunately, in my country, if we want to renew, we need to pass a medical test performed by a certified doctor lol Making things so complicated.

I'll pass the G1 written test, then I'll wait for the the borders to get opened.

Reactions: armoured

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thanks.
That “ weird system “, has been in use for YEARS. Guess it’s something else people will want changed