+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The biometrics process

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Someone is telling us that when a person goes to the local VAC to get their biometrics done, they have to wait around until they receive a form with a bar code
(which can take a few days) and they then have to upload this paper online to the application. Is this true, and if so, does it apply to applications via the new portal?

BTW I am talking specifically about the Canadian embassy in Havana. I am hoping my friend is misinformed.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
Someone is telling us that when a person goes to the local VAC to get their biometrics done, they have to wait around until they receive a form with a bar code
(which can take a few days) and they then have to upload this paper online to the application. Is this true, and if so, does it apply to applications via the new portal?

BTW I am talking specifically about the Canadian embassy in Havana. I am hoping my friend is misinformed.
The biometric instruction letter comes with barcode is the one that comes on IRCC portal where you applied. Your friend will take that to the VAC after booking an appointment with them.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Yes, thank you; we understand about the invitation letter. However my friend says that after the biometrics are done at the embassy you have to wait some days for a second letter that confirms the biometrics were completed, and that this second letter must then be uploaded as another document to the application.

Such an added step would be of great inconvenience to a person who lives far from the city where the biometrics are collected.

vijayar

Star Member
Sep 16, 2022
Yes, thank you; we understand about the invitation letter. However my friend says that after the biometrics are done at the embassy you have to wait some days for a second letter that confirms the biometrics were completed, and that this second letter must then be uploaded as another document to the application.

Such an added step would be of great inconvenience to a person who lives far from the city where the biometrics are collected.
Which country are you from and from where are you applying the visa ?

All VACs (mostly it is VFS) after capturing the biometric details load the details in the ircc central system. Apart from providing the biometric the applicant does not have any role, everything pertaining to biometric is uploaded and updated from the backend to your application.

The second letter that you are referring to is the Biometric Validation Letter or BVL which is a letter confirming your biometric where received and the validity of the same (10 years). This letter is again sent to the applicant by IRCC online and comes closer to when a decision has been made on your visa application.

Last edited:

nmatter

May 12, 2019

You don’t have to do anything once your Bio is completed at VAC, after due diligence by IRCC it will be reflect n your application after some (no action required from your side and no need to visit vac further) unless they have any issue with your bio quality

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Which country are you from and from where are you applying the visa ?

All VACs (mostly it is VFS) after capturing the biometric details load the details in the ircc central system. Apart from providing the biometric the applicant does not have any role, everything pertaining to biometric is uploaded and updated from the backend to your application.

The second letter that you are referring to is the Biometric Validation Letter or BVL which is a letter confirming your biometric where received and the validity of the same (10 years). This letter is again sent to the applicant by IRCC online and comes closer to when a decision has been made on your visa application.
I am referring to the Canadian embassy in Havana. Cuba. A friend who has her biometrics collected there last year says this was the process - waiting for a second paper with the results, and then having to upload this second document to her application. The problem is that Cuba is so backwards and bureaucratic - and that the people who work in the embassy are Cubans. We certainly hope that this aspect is the process has changed, but in Cuba nothing works as advertised, not even at the Canadian embassy.

vijayar

Star Member
Sep 16, 2022
I am referring to the Canadian embassy in Havana. Cuba. A friend who has her biometrics collected there last year says this was the process - waiting for a second paper with the results, and then having to upload this second document to her application. The problem is that Cuba is so backwards and bureaucratic - and that the people who work in the embassy are Cubans. We certainly hope that this aspect is the process has changed, but in Cuba nothing works as advertised, not even at the Canadian embassy.
Your friend's best option is to call the VAC and understand the process. Or if you are in Canada contact IRCC and understand the same.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
The receptionist at the embassy in Havana has said in the past that they cannot connect callers to the immigration workers in the building. There is no stand-alone VAC in Cuba.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens this Wednesday. In case there are other Cubans who watch this thread I will update here what happens.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
The receptionist at the embassy in Havana has said in the past that they cannot connect callers to the immigration workers in the building. There is no stand-alone VAC in Cuba.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens this Wednesday. In case there are other Cubans who watch this thread I will update here what happens.
Biometrics were done today at the Canadian embassy in Havana and they automatically updated the application. It never ceases to amaze me how Cubans love to give each other incorrect info!

Reactions: vijayar