+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

MaddieS

May 22, 2018
No, has no impact on the processing.
Thanks. I have a huge conundrum.
I am moving states in a few weeks and may have to move out of the current country of residence after I submitted my PR application. I already have an ITA.
I know once you have an AOR, you nren to send your change of address to IRCC.
I want to submit with my current address but does it mean I will have to request change of address twice after AOR. Or should I just submit after I move to my next place. Want to avoid delays as much. My work authorization ends in September and am being extremely optimistic that I may get PPR before that

lileka

Sep 20, 2017
Hello @legalfalcon

Perhaps you happen to know whether GCMS notes for inland PAPER-BASED applicants are different from other streams in terms of the notes pertaining to the security check? I'm trying to figure out if my security check is taking so long because it's paper-based, therefore lower priority than EE, or if I'm under SS. What indicates SS in the notes? Mine only have one note saying that the security has not started, which I understand is irrelevant info, as the status will never change to passed.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Bumsy2k3

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
I have been getting questions on what happens in a BGC a lot in the last few months. Even though in my post, “[A]natomy of an application” available on many threads, I do discuss this briefly, but I felt there was a need for a more exhaustive post. This post in no way accurately depicts the procedures adopted by the CSIS, Canada’s premier security agency, as their procedures are highly confidential and will never be made public. However, this post is an amalgamation of the information publically available, and my personal experiences with working for the governments and law enforcement agencies in different countries.

Usually, the Security screening is the last step, but for some applicants, this starts early in the process. These applicants are PNP applicants. This is because a province has nominated them through their internal mechanism, thereby in a way giving them eligibility, and the role of IRCC greatly decreases, unlike FSW, CEC and other application where IRCC has to review every detail to ensure that the applicant meets the program requirement. This is another reason why PNP applications usually tend to be processed faster. More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.
you have mentioned in the above post that "More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days". Will appreciate if you can point me to this post please, if not too much effort. thanks

drerhys

Nov 6, 2017
HI Legalfalcon. A friend of mine is a Jamaican resident and has experience in the Police force. He has an AOR of May 1. He recently got PPR then he received a follow-up email asking him to disregard PPR and he was issued with an ADR request for Police Service details. They stated that they need to do additional checks. Does this mean that his file will be sent for security screening?

beloved22

Mar 31, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
I believe I have answered your question. If not, have your requested GCMS notes, and has your eligibility been passed. Are you in SS?
Sorry, I don't think I got an answer from you because it's my first time asking a question to you.

I have ordered several GCMS notes, the most recent one received on May 31, 2018(information based on May 1, 2018).
It says;

Eligibility : Passed
Security : (redacted)
Criminality : Passed
Medical : Passed-Expired
Info Sharing: Complete
Other Reqs: Not started

On May 18, 2018 I got a new medical exam request and MyCIC shows that medical is passed on May 28, 2018.
Since above info is based on the status as of May 1, I assume that I pass everything now.

I was in SS but I guess it's finished because MP office told me CIC would request to do re-medical once security screening is done.
They also verified security verifications are done and the results are currently valid(previously they said it was 'in process'). (answered on Jun 12,2018).

It's been more than 1 month after re-medical however there is no further move.

Do you have any insights on this?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks. I have a huge conundrum.
I am moving states in a few weeks and may have to move out of the current country of residence after I submitted my PR application. I already have an ITA.
I know once you have an AOR, you nren to send your change of address to IRCC.
I want to submit with my current address but does it mean I will have to request change of address twice after AOR. Or should I just submit after I move to my next place. Want to avoid delays as much. My work authorization ends in September and am being extremely optimistic that I may get PPR before that
After you move, do send you new address then. Changing states is not of much consequence. IRCC needs your address to allocate your LVO where you will send your Passport and also to ensure that you are in status in your country of residence.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon

Perhaps you happen to know whether GCMS notes for inland PAPER-BASED applicants are different from other streams in terms of the notes pertaining to the security check? I'm trying to figure out if my security check is taking so long because it's paper-based, therefore lower priority than EE, or if I'm under SS. What indicates SS in the notes? Mine only have one note saying that the security has not started, which I understand is irrelevant info, as the status will never change to passed.

Thank you in advance.
Earlier SS was mentioned in GCMS notes, now it has been retracted. The Security starts after Eligibility is passed. So request GCMS notes and see what date your Eligibility passed. If it has been a log time, then you may be in SS and then you will need CSIS and CBSA notes to very if they have concluded involvement in your application.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
you have mentioned in the above post that "More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days". Will appreciate if you can point me to this post please, if not too much effort. thanks
When I wort this, PNP has a different processing timeline, where the security would commence before the Eligibility would be passed, but that as changed and now it is the same as FSW, CEC etc.

Reactions: zohebshaikh

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
HI Legalfalcon. A friend of mine is a Jamaican resident and has experience in the Police force. He has an AOR of May 1. He recently got PPR then he received a follow-up email asking him to disregard PPR and he was issued with an ADR request for Police Service details. They stated that they need to do additional checks. Does this mean that his file will be sent for security screening?
I have seen some cases like this, this usually happens because IRCC wants to verify that the applicant during his police service was not involved in any human rights violation. This may land him in SS, but GCMS will be Abe to answer that.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Sorry, I don't think I got an answer from you because it's my first time asking a question to you.

I have ordered several GCMS notes, the most recent one received on May 31, 2018(information based on May 1, 2018).
It says;

Eligibility : Passed
Security : (redacted)
Criminality : Passed
Medical : Passed-Expired
Info Sharing: Complete
Other Reqs: Not started

On May 18, 2018 I got a new medical exam request and MyCIC shows that medical is passed on May 28, 2018.
Since above info is based on the status as of May 1, I assume that I pass everything now.

I was in SS but I guess it's finished because MP office told me CIC would request to do re-medical once security screening is done.
They also verified security verifications are done and the results are currently valid(previously they said it was 'in process'). (answered on Jun 12,2018).

It's been more than 1 month after re-medical however there is no further move.

Do you have any insights on this?
Medicals take 3-5 weeks. So you are in that time frame. If you still don't hear after 5 weeks, send IRCC an email.

FM15

Star Member
Nov 12, 2017
Guys can any one please tell whats the indication of SS in GCM notes? Just received but unable to find any thing odd.

@legalfalcon your guidance would be particularly appreciated.

Dec 11 2017 AOR

keroppi

Star Member
Nov 12, 2017
In some cases it is true, but the security related activities was always retracted. Now IRCC has started retracting even the security activities for most applicants, which makes it difficult to know if an applicant is under SS or not. The only way now is to get the CBSA report, because there the security is not retracted at all and it has GCMS notes along with the CBSA report. So if the application has exceeded 6 months, and there is an apprehension of SS, CBSA report is the only way to find out.
All files are vetted by CSIS and CBSA for security. Some files get stuck at CBSA and are delayed. This is mostly seen for applicants from some specific countries. Just because your file is at CBSA does not mean any negative impact on the processing of your application.

Usually before a file clears security, it has 4 SS activities as you see above.
Hi @legalfalcon

Does this “4 SS activities” indicator still hold true recently?

I got my CSIS notes on 7 Jun and it said my wife’s SS case was still in progress. Searching for my name didn’t “locate any record”

Isn’t it strange as normally only males are under SS?

One more question: does the length of SS depend on country of origin? Specifically have you got any data points for Vietnam?

Last edited:
Reactions: annevn8

lileka

Sep 20, 2017
Earlier SS was mentioned in GCMS notes, now it has been retracted. The Security starts after Eligibility is passed. So request GCMS notes and see what date your Eligibility passed. If it has been a log time, then you may be in SS and then you will need CSIS and CBSA notes to very if they have concluded involvement in your application.
my eligibility, criminality and medical were passed in January.
my security in GCMS notes shows not started and there are no subactivities underneath.

For paper-based PNPs 80% of applications take 19 months to clear so I guess I still have lots of time until November when my 19 months are up. I personally think we are the lowest priority for the agencies to process after EE and refugees, so long security check in our case doesn't necessarily mean we are under SS. If I don't get PPR until Fall, I will probably order the notes from CSIS and CBSA.

Thank you for your reply.

lileka

Sep 20, 2017
oh, and another thing: do you know anything about paper file locations? My April notes were showing paper file location: "Ready for PS".