+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

itzrb

Jan 25, 2020
After your PR application crosses R10 stage, which is the first stage, your UCI number will change to the one that is on your WP application. The CAN is just a temp number.

Irrespective of how many application you file with IRCC, TRV, WP, PR etc. your UCI number remains the same. It will remain the same even for your citizenship application.

The application numbers will be different for different application.

You need not worry, this will be done on its own.
@legalfalcon thanx much appreciated.
1 more question, I heared
After your PR application crosses R10 stage, which is the first stage, your UCI number will change to the one that is on your WP application. The CAN is just a temp number.

Irrespective of how many application you file with IRCC, TRV, WP, PR etc. your UCI number remains the same. It will remain the same even for your citizenship application.

The application numbers will be different for different application.

You need not worry, this will be done on its own.
@ legalfalcon thanx Much appreciated, my lawyer recvd this email back in feb2020 and same earlier in nov 2019 too frm case management branch, does it indicate the decision will be made soon and high possibility of having positive result incase all ok with BGC. ?

The application is currently undergoing background checks. Background checks are a normal procedure in the processing of an application for temperoray residence. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires that each person applying for work permit be assessed in different ways, including security and criminality.

The case processing center will contact you as soon as all verifications are completed, or if more information and/or documents are required.

Please note that the processing times indicated on our website are only for general guidance and some cases will take longer than others. All efforts are being made to ensure efficient and expeditious processing of all applications.

We trust you will find this information of assistance.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon thanx much appreciated.
1 more question, I heared
@ legalfalcon thanx Much appreciated, my lawyer recvd this email back in feb2020 and same earlier in nov 2019 too frm case management branch, does it indicate the decision will be made soon and high possibility of having positive result incase all ok with BGC. ?

The application is currently undergoing background checks. Background checks are a normal procedure in the processing of an application for temperoray residence. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires that each person applying for work permit be assessed in different ways, including security and criminality.

The case processing center will contact you as soon as all verifications are completed, or if more information and/or documents are required.

Please note that the processing times indicated on our website are only for general guidance and some cases will take longer than others. All efforts are being made to ensure efficient and expeditious processing of all applications.

We trust you will find this information of assistance.
The BGC comprises of criminality and security. Criminality is done early in the processing, where as security happens after eligibility is passed. If your eligibility is passed, then you can be sure that your decision will come soon. You can refer to your GCMS notes to see if your eligibility is passed.

Saleh Almstiri

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Libya
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney VS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-01-2020
I have been getting questions on what happens in a BGC a lot in the last few months. Even though in my post, “[A]natomy of an application” available on many threads, I do discuss this briefly, but I felt there was a need for a more exhaustive post. This post in no way accurately depicts the procedures adopted by the CSIS, Canada’s premier security agency, as their procedures are highly confidential and will never be made public. However, this post is an amalgamation of the information publically available, and my personal experiences with working for the governments and law enforcement agencies in different countries.

Since this is a long post and each post cannot be over 10000 characters, I am posting the entire post in replies. The post is alphabetically numbered.

So here it goes:

A. What is CSIS and its mandate?

Before we even venture into looking at how CSIS conducts background checks, it is essential to have a brief knowledge of CSIS and what it does. CSIS in its publication has introduced itself with the following statement:

“With the large number of homeland conflicts throughout the world,
preventing the importation of these conflicts into communities
in Canada is of particular concern to all Canadians.”

The mandate of the CSIS concerning security screening of immigrants is laid down in Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (hereinafter “the IRPA”). Sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS Act authorizes CSIS to provide security assessments for the review of immigration applications to the IRCC. These assessments relate directly to the security inadmissibility criteria contained in the IRPA, with the final decision resting with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Unlike other intelligence services across the globe, CSIS until early 2000 did not operate on foreign soil and its operations concerned the protection of Canadian national security mainly against internal threats. However, since threats to the security of Canada can come from criminals or terrorists using Canadian soil to perpetrate attacks of terrorist activities, both within Canada and target foreign nations, CSIS was tasked with screening all applicants seeking admission into Canada through IRCC.

CSIS is tasked with conducting security clearance for all applicants in addition the police clearances certificates furnished by the applicants, for all applicants between the ages of 18 and 65 years. The BGC is conducted to detect applicants who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism.

The screening of potential immigrants to Canada is a complex process that involves several government departments and agencies such as IRCC, Health Canada, Human Resources Development Canada, and RCMP [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] and CSIS, each of whom has specific responsibilities. A culmination of what these agencies do determines admissibility based on medical, criminality, security etc.

Specifically CSIS, in accordance with section 2 of CSIS Act, that deals with threats to the security of Canada. The IRPA in Division 4, specifically section 34 deals with the inadmissibility based on security, which is assessed by CSIS. Section 34 includes accessing the applicant for the following:

Security
34 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on security grounds for
a) engaging in an act of espionage that is against Canada or that is contrary to Canada’s interests;
b) engaging in or instigating the subversion by force of any government
a. engaging in an act of subversion against a democratic government, institution or process as they are understood in Canada;
c) engaging in terrorism;
d) being a danger to the security of Canada;
e) engaging in acts of violence that would or might endanger the lives or safety of persons in Canada; or
f) being a member of an organization that there are reasonable grounds to believe engages, has engaged or will engage in acts referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (b.1) or (c).

CSIS does what is known as risk management in the processing of security checks on prospective immigrants, role of CSIS focuses on those applicants who, on the basis of analysis and experience, are most likely to present a security risk. The advice provided by the CSIS assists the IRCC in determining whether prospective immigrants are inadmissible persons under the Immigration Act.

The assessment of CSIS is not binding on IRCC, and IRCC independently reviews the CSIS assessment in the final review before the application is approved. This is another reason for the delays, and more on this later.

B. When does your application go to CSIS?

Usually, the Security screening is the last step, but for some applicants, this starts early in the process. These applicants are PNP applicants. This is because a province has nominated them through their internal mechanism, thereby in a way giving them eligibility, and the role of IRCC greatly decreases, unlike FSW, CEC and other application where IRCC has to review every detail to ensure that the applicant meets the program requirement. This is another reason why PNP applications usually tend to be processed faster. More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.
Hello Legalfalcon,
You stated that you will be posting more about PNP applicant but I could not see this anywhere.
Thanks

Syed Areeb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-10-2019
@legalfalcon your efforts are appreciated. I am working in government engineering organization of Pakistan. Some people who worked in sister constituent organizations are now in Canada on PR. But they received their PR in more than 1 year like 18 months or 24 months. Should i expect same kind of delay in my case also? Or after introduction of smart systems the processing time has been reduced. ? Waiting for your reply.
I ordered my notes in May got to know s(15) is written on it. But when i ordered CBSA via my friend they just send single page which shows that eligibility pass, criminality pass and security in progress. My security start date written on it is 1st April 2020... Should i order again CBSA now through your services to get bunch of papers like gcms?
Waiting for your reply.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon your efforts are appreciated. I am working in government engineering organization of Pakistan. Some people who worked in sister constituent organizations are now in Canada on PR. But they received their PR in more than 1 year like 18 months or 24 months. Should i expect same kind of delay in my case also? Or after introduction of smart systems the processing time has been reduced. ? Waiting for your reply.
I ordered my notes in May got to know s(15) is written on it. But when i ordered CBSA via my friend they just send single page which shows that eligibility pass, criminality pass and security in progress. My security start date written on it is 1st April 2020... Should i order again CBSA now through your services to get bunch of papers like gcms?
Waiting for your reply.
Just because you work for a government organisation does not mean that your application will be placed under enhanced security and will delay the decision. Most applicants who are placed in enhanced screening are those who work for the government in sensitive areas like, military, are trained in explosives, nuclear technology, intelligence etc. However, how exactly the screening is done, is not disclosed. Only if 2-3 months have passed after your eligibility is passed, and your security is in progress, that you may be in enhanced security screening.

CBSA notes are usually the same length as GCMS. So not sure what you received. Requesting GCMS or CBSA is entirely your choice. It is not mandatory.

Syed Areeb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-10-2019
Just because you work for a government organisation does not mean that your application will be placed under enhanced security and will delay the decision. Most applicants who are placed in enhanced screening are those who work for the government in sensitive areas like, military, are trained in explosives, nuclear technology, intelligence etc. However, how exactly the screening is done, is not disclosed. Only if 2-3 months have passed after your eligibility is passed, and your security is in progress, that you may be in enhanced security screening.

CBSA notes are usually the same length as GCMS. So not sure what you received. Requesting GCMS or CBSA is entirely your choice. It is not mandatory.
@legalfalcon I am an Electronics Engineer with my masters in Project management. I have never worked in sensitive areas like pure military, nor i am trained in explosives, nuclear technology, intelligence etc. My organization is civilian government engineering organization. But i guess they have put me in enhanced security. When do you think i should order my CBSA notes? I will use your services now, previously my friend ordered for me. My security started on 1st April 2020. My AOR is 20th Oct. And i got ADRs on 11 March 2020. 1) Schedule-A ... (2) CV (3) Grad Kit (4) Travel History Form.
My info sharing is complete in GCMS. I have never traveled abroad in my life. Please guide when i should order CBSA and your speculations about my case please?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon I am an Electronics Engineer with my masters in Project management. I have never worked in sensitive areas like pure military, nor i am trained in explosives, nuclear technology, intelligence etc. My organization is civilian government engineering organization. But i guess they have put me in enhanced security. When do you think i should order my CBSA notes? I will use your services now, previously my friend ordered for me. My security started on 1st April 2020. My AOR is 20th Oct. And i got ADRs on 11 March 2020. 1) Schedule-A ... (2) CV (3) Grad Kit (4) Travel History Form.
My info sharing is complete in GCMS. I have never traveled abroad in my life. Please guide when i should order CBSA and your speculations about my case please?
As per your GCMS, when did your eligibility pass. The CBSA notes only tell you when the security started. Not much details are available except the dates. If your eligibility is passed, I would suggest that you wait for a few weeks before considering requesting CBSA notes.

itzrb

Jan 25, 2020
@legalfalcon Seeking your advise on next step that I can do , I am ICT LMIA exempt applicant. At the moment 48 weeks since medical upfront, 45 weeks since application was submitted and 44 weeks since Biometric, VO Abu Dhabi and it shows processing time between 39 to 42 weeks. Last 2 updates, NOV 2019 = Background check
Feb 2020 = Background check.
Need ur advise.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon Seeking your advise on next step that I can do , I am ICT LMIA exempt applicant. At the moment 48 weeks since medical upfront, 45 weeks since application was submitted and 44 weeks since Biometric, VO Abu Dhabi and it shows processing time between 39 to 42 weeks. Last 2 updates, NOV 2019 = Background check
Feb 2020 = Background check.
Need ur advise.
If your application for PR or WP?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Work permit, Intra company transfer, LMIA exempted. NOC 6221
Which VO did you apply to. If it is outside Canada, then many VOs are closed or are not dealing with TRVs.

However, you can try sending a webform and ask.

itzrb

Jan 25, 2020
Which VO did you apply to. If it is outside Canada, then many VOs are closed or are not dealing with TRVs.

However, you can try sending a webform and ask.
Company lawyer from canada had applied in Aug 2019, the last webform reply came from Abu Dhabi visa office back in Nov 2019 and feb 2020 that application is in background check. What can I do now? A.D is working now.

Syed Areeb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-10-2019
As per your GCMS, when did your eligibility pass. The CBSA notes only tell you when the security started. Not much details are available except the dates. If your eligibility is passed, I would suggest that you wait for a few weeks before considering requesting CBSA notes.
My eligibility was passed in 1st week of march on 11 March I got ADR.. and on 1st April my security started.. so when i should order CBSA now???

itzrb

Jan 25, 2020
@legalfalcon
Need ur advise, My company lawyer in canada filed my ICT application and also open work permit for my wife and visitor visa for my 5yr old kids, is it the right approach? I see most of the applicants file sowp while they r alrdy in canada on WP. Could this be the reason for delay over 10 months now ? We are all outside canada.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
Need ur advise, My company lawyer in canada filed my ICT application and also open work permit for my wife and visitor visa for my 5yr old kids, is it the right approach? I see most of the applicants file sowp while they r alrdy in canada on WP. Could this be the reason for delay over 10 months now ? We are all outside canada.
You can file for a OWP for your spouse even from outside Canada. If you apply for a OPW from within Canada, then your spouse would have to get a tourist visa, then get a visitor's record and then a WP.

What the lawyer is doing is the right approach which will save time and money.