+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The 430-437 club! Let's strategize here!

mcassim87

Jul 1, 2017
I guess you're already in Canada?

If yes try to take it one step at a time and sponsor your husband later if it's possible.
at least for Network Engineers, you now need to score 70 points to get an ITA ( 8 each in ielts), it used to be easier when threshold was 60 points (7 each), but they increased it in Sep 2017 so it has become alot harder now, and for Canada , you have PNP options as well which might be alot trickier to get for Aus (state sponsorship), so overall, Canadian dream is still quite feasible and close to reality.

Reactions: lightning_crashes

lightning_crashes

May 13, 2018
NOC Code......
at least for Network Engineers, you now need to score 70 points to get an ITA ( 8 each in ielts), it used to be easier when threshold was 60 points (7 each), but they increased it in Sep 2017 so it has become alot harder now, and for Canada , you have PNP options as well which might be alot trickier to get for Aus (state sponsorship), so overall, Canadian dream is still quite feasible and close to reality.
Agree.

I saw so many ppl going to Australia who tried Canada first. Landed there already. Yes ielts is higher and also now it's difficult as they reduced the invitations driving cutoff upwards.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Agree.

I saw so many ppl going to Australia who tried Canada first. Landed there already. Yes ielts is higher and also now it's difficult as they reduced the invitations driving cutoff upwards.

Even then, it's not everyone who can score 8 bands in IELTS that easily. Most of them who get through are usually those who have a pre arranged job offer or have a connection there (I'm assuming the second part).

I'd say, if there was a group for Australia PR, they'd list Canada PR as an alternative. For us, Australia is a step upwards as an option.

dodogirl

Mar 30, 2018
Hi guys, I have enrolled myself in ielts again. Anybody has some websites to suggest for listening and writing. Thank you.

HoldingOnToHisPromise

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
So, I tried reading about Australian immigration processes and qualifications tonight. It seems though that it is equally challenging as applying for Canadian PR. But the difference lie on the competition. There has been an increase of candidates on EE pool this year vs last year, hence, the cut off scores are also not falling below our score range. However, I think that IRCC will still find a way to accommodate most, if not all, of us. We'll have to wait and see then on the upcoming draws. I'm at 438, btw.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
So, I tried reading about Australian immigration processes and qualifications tonight. It seems though that it is equally challenging as applying for Canadian PR. But the difference lie on the competition. There has been an increase of candidates on EE pool this year vs last year, hence, the cut off scores are also not falling below our score range. However, I think that IRCC will still find a way to accommodate most, if not all, of us. We'll have to wait and see then on the upcoming draws. I'm at 438, btw.
The intake for Australian PR has reduced. Which means you can't compare pool size directly.

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Hope is not a strategy!

After the nice low score of 413 last year, the number of hopefuls increased along with the things that happened in the US - too many ppl are applying (yes you and me included)

The regular ROH series threads are great to hang around and dream for the score to come down. While it will be great when it happens, we who are at the edge or the boundary need to strategize differently.

This thread is for those at 430-437 or even 440 who want to take matters into their own hands and start to look at real ways to make a difference, network and share ideas instead of waiting for the score to drop

I realize that many ppl in this club will be in the pool for a year. This will give us our own space instead of the guys sitting at 440+ who are just preparing their PCCs and medicals

Strategy no
  1. Have right NOC code for OINP HCP
  2. Learn French or increase IELTS scores
  3. Try to get job offer with LMIA
  4. Try to get job offer from Canadian arm of your company. No LMIA required then to get work permit for a year as your company applies to CIC for the transfer. After the first year if they want to continue with another job offer for a year you get the 50 points. It's called intra company transfer category.
  5. PNP for other provinces?
    1. Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
    2. SINP
    3. BC EE
  6. Australia - its easier nowadays than Canada - they have own point based system and accept IELTS!
  7. Drop spouse from application and sponsor after landing (for some cases)
  8. Add spouse (marry - Canadian spouse or one with Canadian education/experience and get additional points)
  9. Distance learning which will take at least 1 year to pass (Post Grad Diploma/MBA/Masters etc.)
  10. Attending full time Masters etc. in home country for additional points.
  11. Take IELTS AC & enter Canada with a Student visa / Hit a Canadian University - which upon completion would get a PGWP and then certainly ensure PR after a time
  12. Certain nationalities - you can try to go for Working holiday in Canada (that can be the way how to qualify for some provinces)
  13. ...
  14. ...
  15. ...
... Pls add
Was thinking about one more strategy, can you or any other senior member validate whether it will work to get me required CRS points?

Spouse (secondary applicant) takes admission in one of the not-so-expensive Canadian universities and I can go on a spouse visa with Open Work Permit. I found following link on canada.ca about this, need to do more research. If I'm able to work for one year with this OWP, will this fetch me 35 points for Canadian experience? Also, will I be able to claim 50 points for job offer?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html
If I'm able to claim at least one of the two, after 1 year time I can have enough CRS points to get ITA.

Recently, they've made the Student visa easier and faster for 4 nationalities, India is one among them. :) You guys can check on the below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/student-direct-stream.html

lightning_crashes

May 13, 2018
NOC Code......
Was thinking about one more strategy, can you or any other senior member validate whether it will work to get me required CRS points?

Spouse (secondary applicant) takes admission in one of the not-so-expensive Canadian universities and I can go on a spouse visa with Open Work Permit. I found following link on canada.ca about this, need to do more research. If I'm able to work for one year with this OWP, will this fetch me 35 points for Canadian experience? Also, will I be able to claim 50 points for job offer?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html
If I'm able to claim at least one of the two, after 1 year time I can have enough CRS points to get ITA.

Recently, they've made the Student visa easier and faster for 4 nationalities, India is one among them. :) You guys can check on the below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/student-direct-stream.html
Yes in the current ROH thread a senior member has confirmed this approach works.

Reactions: adityagupta88

Ashwell

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017

I have been in the pool since October 2017 with my husband as primary applicant we had a CRS score of 438 until early June where we lost 5 points due to my husbands birthday.
Early in May we realized that express entry was not looking so hopeful and decided to go this route. I was accepted to start studying in September this year but you have to send transcripts and pay the fee before they will send you an official acceptance letter, and as the university is tardy getting back to emails this took longer than expected. It takes 11 weeks to process a study visa in my country and with only 12 weeks till the start of the course this was not a viable option as I think the stress of waiting for that would be too much for any human. Lucky I had the option to defer to the next start of the course which is January 2019. It will be the middle of summer in South Africa and we will land in Canada in the middle of winter, not ideal but it will not deter us from the Canadian dream! I am just waiting for my PCC and then will apply, now with plenty of time to get everything else in order.

From my experience, my advice to anyone looking to go this route. Start looking/applying for programs NOW. The universities in Canada take very long to respond and the process is not as straight forward as it seems. But it will be worth it in the end!

I also have one question, @vensak if you could possible give me advice. I have started my application on the CIC website and I am given the option to apply for my study visa as well as my husbands open work visa. Should I apply together or do I need to wait till I have received my study visa before applying for his work visa? Thanks in advance

Roxy04

Jul 18, 2016
yes it makes sense perfectly if you consider my case.. i am at 443 without spouse and 428 with spouse. i am planing to understand what are the obligations as a sponsor and the time-frame for it and related issue, in case the cutoff point remains high.

is there any one in here who can explain the spousal sponsorship obligations and the benefits the sponsored family can not access?
What about the kids? Can we take them along or no? In my case also, applying without spouse will increase my score significantly. My concern is only about my kid, I want to take her along with me! Please share your knowledge on this and how does it work!