+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work & looking for permanent positions

gbraide

Mar 26, 2007
May be obvious, but I would like to confirm this with someone.

Basically I'm looking to move over on a skilled worker visa, but before I do I would like to see how I like the life over there. I was curious as to the possibility of this. The benefits are obviously I get to see if I fit in to the Canadian lifestyle (it's hard not to see Canada as a holiday destination with short term visits and not working), I get to apply for jobs and attend interviews easily while I'm there.

I understand there is a chance to do this with a temporary working visa, however, what I'm not sure of is if I can be in Canada looking for work on one of these visas. I fear I can't as from what I've read, I have to secure a temporary job before I go over there looking for permanent work. However, what I would like to know is if the work I need to qualify for a temporary visa has to be of a certain standard or if it could be anything for example a position advertised in a local paper or employment agency (I understand the paperwork etc would be enough to put off the majority of employers). If it is a free for all in terms of employment, how long does it take to process this type of visa, how long does it last and finally the cost of this

Just for info, I'm from the UK and I have scored enough to qualify for the skilled worker. I'll just find it a little hard to pull everything together from the UK without the need to employ an immigration agent to act on my behalf, which I have ventured down, but it seemed an awful lot of money just to find me a job

Thanks

Gary

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You can look for a job while in Canada, but you can't actually apply for the work permit until you return home to the U.K. Also, as a non-resident, you couldn't just go through a local canadian paper and choose any job. Your prospective employer would need to apply for and receive a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) on the job you would fill - saying basically that skilled workers for that job are sufficiently scarce to allow a foreign worker to be hired.

I suggest you apply to immigrate under the skilled worker class. If it's not all you hoped for, you could always move back to the U.K.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
You can look for a job while in Canada, but you can't actually apply for the work permit until you return home to the U.K. Also, as a non-resident, you couldn't just go through a local canadian paper and choose any job. Your prospective employer would need to apply for and receive a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) on the job you would fill - saying basically that skilled workers for that job are sufficiently scarce to allow a foreign worker to be hired.

I suggest you apply to immigrate under the skilled worker class. If it's not all you hoped for, you could always move back to the U.K.
If the OP is a student or under 35 she/he should look into a BUNAC work visa. It is a one year open work permit. cannot be extended.
see: http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

PMM

kal

Aug 11, 2007
Hi Friends,

My Initial intention is to get the Canadian Immigration but due to the long processing time I am looking for some alternatives like Temporary Work Visa in Canada and once I start working there I can apply for PR.

Can somebody please advice me, how can I do this.
how to find the Sponsor employers and what is the procedure involved and the process time for that

Personal Details:
I am Indian Citizen and living in UK
I have 6+ yrs of IT Software Development (experience in India, Kenya and UK)
I did my Master of Science in UK.

will it be easy to find an employer who can sponsor me??
and where can I find the employer

Please advice.

Thanks

Kal

ahovnanian

Feb 28, 2012
hello gary,
are you still in canada and looking for work?
let me know when you have a chance.
have a great day,
ani