11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Hi

I am applying for a visiting visa for my parents - hoping that they can come here this august for a couple of months. My father is a retired army officer - retired in 2011. and since then he has been running his own business. He is financially sound and and we can show strong family ties in India (my brother is still in India and so both my grand parents) and reasons to go back. We are planning to attach flight tickets along with application to try and make a stronger case.

My only concern is my dad's defense background- as he has served at the borders during his tenure. I have read articles from few years back of Visitor Visa being denied to Ex-Army Officers.

I just wonder if anyone has been recently denied visa on this basis - or even if they were granted visa how long it tool for processing.

Just looking for moral support i guess :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

toronto2222 said:
My only concern is my dad's defense background- as he has served at the borders during his tenure. I have read articles from few years back of Visitor Visa being denied to Ex-Army Officers.

I just wonder if anyone has been recently denied visa on this basis - or even if they were granted visa how long it tool for processing.
An applicant's defense background is not a reason for refusal. There are applicants who have been issued TRVs.

As your dad was posted to border areas (and he was in the army until just a few years ago), you can expect his TRV processing to take much longer than the normal processing time due to background checks.

There are a number of ex-defense applicants who have been waiting since August 2016 in this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/trv-for-retired-army-officers-from-india-t457534.0.html

Cheers

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Thank you Bryanna for the reply. I guess I just have to apply and wait and hope for the best.

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Hello

My parents got their passport request letter today! I am
Pleasantly surprised!! :)

T.Rex87

Feb 12, 2016
@ Toronto

Congrats on PPR. I wish you see your parents soon.

I have a question regarding IMM5257 - Schedule 1. How did fill this form to show your father's service in defence?
I have to fill this form for my father who's also ex-defence. I have seen his certificate of service but its filled up of lots of dates and locations. Do I really need to fill each of those locations and dates according to the certificate?

Thank You!

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
T.Rex87 said:
@ Toronto

Congrats on PPR. I wish you see your parents soon.

I have a question regarding IMM5257 - Schedule 1. How did fill this form to show your father's service in defence?
I have to fill this form for my father who's also ex-defence. I have seen his certificate of service but its filled up of lots of dates and locations. Do I really need to fill each of those locations and dates according to the certificate?

Thank You!
Hello..yes my dad filled it out with begin and end are for each of his postings. It's a lot but there should not be any gaps I think.

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Bryanna said:
That's great :) Processing has been much faster as compared to other ex-defense services applicants
Thank you! I hope there is more processing after this? What is the next step. A little confused about where to send their passports in India. Do we send it to The consulate in Delhi or to the VFS global office?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
They must not send their passports directly to NDVO.

Instead submit the passports, in person, to VFS Delhi along with the passport request letters + VFS fees + VFS consent form, etc

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Bryanna said:
They must not send their passports directly to NDVO.

Instead submit the passports, in person, to VFS Delhi along with the passport request letters + VFS fees + VFS consent form, etc
Thank you for the very quick reply! They have to go in person and cannot courier their passports?
Could they send a representative? My brother is in Bangalore he could easily go to the Bangalore VFS office

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
toronto2222 said:
Thank you for the very quick reply! They have to go in person and cannot courier their passports?
Could they send a representative? My brother is in Bangalore he could easily go to the Bangalore VFS office
They can submit their passports to the nearest VFS office.... Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad etc

Yes, your brother can submit on their behalf. He must carry letters of authorization apart from the other documents.

Their visas will be stamped by the Bangalore consulate

toronto2222

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 11th 2013
AOR Received.
30th Jan 2014
Med's Request
24th June 2014
Med's Done....
11th July 2014
Passport Req..
9th Jan 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26th Jan 2015
LANDED..........
23rd Feb 2015
Bryanna said:
They can submit their passports to the nearest VFS office.... Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad etc

Yes, your brother can submit on their behalf. He must carry letters of authorization apart from the other documents.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions so quickly! Appreciate the help. :)

pallavichauhan88

Sep 16, 2015
Hello..yes my dad filled it out with begin and end are for each of his postings. It's a lot but there should not be any gaps I think.
Hi, I am following this thread. My situation is pretty similar but for my spouse. I work in USA and my spouse is active in army back home. I have got ITA and while filling for PR I have to mention my husbands personal history and military experience. Should I enter all the locations he has been posted? Since, he is active, he is not planning to accompany me. I file my PR as single applicant but still need to provide Husband's information.
Please advice

pallavichauhan88

Sep 16, 2015

Hi, I am following this thread. My situation is pretty similar but for my spouse. I work in USA and my spouse is active in army back home. I have got ITA and while filling for PR I have to mention my husbands personal history and military experience. Should I enter all the locations he has been posted? Since, he is active, he is not planning to accompany me. I file my PR as single applicant but still need to provide Husband's information.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Should I enter all the locations he has been posted? Since, he is active, he is not planning to accompany me. I file my PR as single applicant but still need to provide Husband's information.
Yes, you would need to provide complete details, including the locations where he was posted + his work details and the tenure for each location/each posting