+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary import car to Canada

Zg1

Apr 22, 2019
Hi Folks,

I'm moving from US to Canada (Toronto) on a work permit. I'm shipping my stuff using a third party storage and delivery company but I'll be driving to Canada. I'd like to take my car with me.

I'd like to import my car temporarily for about a year or so. Can someone help me with temporary import process or share their experience? My car has a lien on it with a bank, does that affect import process for temporary residents?

Meinik2

Sep 14, 2019
Hi Folks,

I'm moving from US to Canada (Toronto) on a work permit. I'm shipping my stuff using a third party storage and delivery company but I'll be driving to Canada. I'd like to take my car with me.

I'd like to import my car temporarily for about a year or so. Can someone help me with temporary import process or share their experience? My car has a lien on it with a bank, does that affect import process for temporary residents?
Hi,

Were you able to do it? Did they charge you duties or taxes?

sauravchopra

Mar 30, 2021
Hey @Zg1,
Hi Folks,

I too drove to Canada. Immigration Officers said I don't need to import my car. But, I am going to be here for about 12 months.
What should be done about insurance? GEICO says, they won't cover beyond 3 months in Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indie7007

May 29, 2022
Hey @Zg1,

I too drove to Canada. Immigration Officers said I don't need to import my car. But, I am going to be here for about 12 months.
What should be done about insurance? GEICO says, they won't cover beyond 3 months in Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Saurav, where you able to find solution for this. I am in same boat, the border agent said I don't need to import car but without Form-1 I won't be able to register in Ontario.