+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Foreign Worker with Accompanying Minor Child

victorysmile2001

May 9, 2018
Hello, I have an LMIA for a cook position and will be applying for a work permit soon once all the required documents are complete. I am a single mother to a 10 year old boy and would like to bring him with me to Canada. I will be applying for a study permit for him at the same time of my work permit application. My question is, do I have to provide a letter of acceptance from the school? As per Canada immigration website, minors coming to Canada with parents who have a valid study or work permit don’t need to provide a letter of acceptance from a school when applying for a study permit. However in my case, my work permit application would still be in process together with his study permit application. Will the letter of acceptance exemption citation would still apply in my case? Thank you.

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
Hello, I have an LMIA for a cook position and will be applying for a work permit soon once all the required documents are complete. I am a single mother to a 10 year old boy and would like to bring him with me to Canada. I will be applying for a study permit for him at the same time of my work permit application. My question is, do I have to provide a letter of acceptance from the school? As per Canada immigration website, minors coming to Canada with parents who have a valid study or work permit don’t need to provide a letter of acceptance from a school when applying for a study permit. However in my case, my work permit application would still be in process together with his study permit application. Will the letter of acceptance exemption citation would still apply in my case? Thank you.
I had same situation and applied with my wife and 3 kids, not required acceptance letter from school.

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
If you’re in Canada and working
How does this work.
Please advise
Yes, I am in Canada now I came here three months ago and my kids are going to school without fee and we are enjoying. If is any particular question please let me know I will happily answer you.

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
So did you apply before coming
I need to apply for dependent kids, its for my dad
I have siblings under 16. Dad has got work permit recently on noc c job
I am a PR.
Please advise how to apply for their students permit
Thank you

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
I am a PR.
Thank you
We came all together, my wife and 3 kids. I got job and applied with my family I got closed work permit, my wife got open work permit and my kids got study permits, my NOC is B so I am not sure if your dad can apply for your siblings if he has NOC c. I am in BC, where are you?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a PR.
Thank you
Your siblings are not eligible for study permits. Your dad needs a NOC A, B or 0 job. Your siblings can try for a TRV and when they come to Canada see if they can register at a school based on a NOC C job. However, it may be declined so you need a plan if they cannot attend school. Your being PR is not relevant.

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
Your siblings are not eligible for study permits. Your dad needs a NOC A, B or 0 job. Your siblings can try for a TRV and when they come to Canada see if they can register at a school based on a NOC C job. However, it may be declined so you need a plan if they cannot attend school. Your being PR is not relevant.
Hello,
I spoke to school they are ok to provide me admission as regular Canadian students. But I am not sure if IRCC will approve our application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I spoke to school they are ok to provide me admission as regular Canadian students. But I am not sure if IRCC will approve our application.
They are not Canadian students, though. To be eligible to study in Canada without paying international fees, your father needs a NOC, A, B or 0 job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
It is unlikely that they will get approved for TRVs given their strong ties to Canada. They will need to prove that they are only visiting Canada. Even if they get TRVs they could be denied entry at the border or be given limited stay if there is any concern that they aren’t visiting and that they plan on living in Canada and attending school. If they are able to get TRVs and able to enter Canada what will they do after the first 6 months? When it becomes clear that they are living in Canada and attending school any visitor extension has a high chance of being refused so they would need to return home. If they arrive on TRVs and live in Canada and attend school without study permits it will be extremely hard for the to get approved for subsequent visas and permits because they didn’t follow the rules of their TRVs. Your father needs to try and find a job in NOC 0, A or B and get a WP for that job if he wants his children to be able to live in Canada and attend school.

Last edited:

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
It is unlikely that they will get approved for TRVs given their strong ties to Canada. They will need to prove that they are only visiting Canada. Even if they get TRVs they could be denied entry at the border or be given limited stay if there is any concern that they aren’t visiting and that they plan on living in Canada and attending school. If they are able to get TRVs and able to enter Canada what will they do after the first 6 months? When it becomes clear that they are living in Canada and attending school any visitor extension has a high chance of being refused so they would need to return home. If they arrive on TRVs and live in Canada and attend school without study permits it will be extremely hard for the to get approved for subsequent visas and permits because they didn’t follow the rules of their TRVs. Your father needs to try and find a job in NOC 0, A or B and get a WP for that job if he wants his children to be able to live in Canada and attend school.
Thank you for the information.
We already got his work permit for NOC 8431. I think it is unlikely they will be here.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the information.
We already got his work permit for NOC 8431. I think it is unlikely they will be here.
So the children are not eligible to study in Canada. You can try for TRVs and enter as visitors. Or they apply as international students and pay international fees.

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
So the children are not eligible to study in Canada. You can try for TRVs and enter as visitors. Or they apply as international students and pay international fees.
Yes, home ties is the concern and it wont be approved.
Will wait for now. Thank you

mshamin

Dec 4, 2022
We came all together, my wife and 3 kids. I got job and applied with my family I got closed work permit, my wife got open work permit and my kids got study permits, my NOC is B so I am not sure if your dad can apply for your siblings if he has NOC c. I am in BC, where are you?
How long it took for you get it approved for your kids? and which portal you applied through? GC Key or New IRCC portal?