+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Foreign Worker Program - Moratorium 04-26-2014

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mdeleon said:
OMG! I thought as long as you have letter of approval from cic, and visa, IO will give you work permit. http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/q_a.shtml

Are there any other reason why those 4 Filipinos were not able to obtain work permit? I am asking this because I am also a newcomer and will fly on may 30. My port of entry will be in Calgary. I am from Phil.
How about printing off that ESDC page and letting the officer know the rules. Ask to speak with one of their superiors or somebody else if they try to turn you away. Border officers who try to put on the toughest image are usually the ones who know the least about how to do their jobs (usually, they're new border agents). I know a guy who works for the border services agency and that's what he told me. Sometimes, some border officers aren't fully aware of the rules (especially new ones) and it's up to you to inform them. Print a copy of the official Service Canada page and carry it with you just in case this happens.

However, if your job is outside BC, then try to avoid the Vancouver port of entry at all costs right now. Choose a different flight path to your final destination via the US and/or another Canadian airport. You have official documentation to work in Canada, so they'll let you transit one of their airports if you have the right visa.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stopDA said:
How about printing off that ESDC page and letting the officer know the rules. Ask to speak with one of their superiors or somebody else if they try to turn you away. Border officers who try to put on the toughest image are usually the ones who know the least about how to do their jobs (usually, they're new border agents). I know a guy who works for the border services agency and that's what he told me. Sometimes, some border officers aren't fully aware of the rules (especially new ones) and it's up to you to inform them. Print a copy of the official Service Canada page and carry it with you just in case this happens.

However, if your job is outside BC, then try to avoid the Vancouver port of entry at all costs right now. Choose a different flight path to your final destination via the US and/or another Canadian airport. You have official documentation to work in Canada, so they'll let you transit one of their airports if you have the right visa.
Actually, proceed with caution if you're transiting the US. They're so much tougher and draconian with their laws nowadays. One little misunderstanding with the US CBP can result in you getting a 5-year ban via their expedited removal order. I've been reading a few news articles about Canadians who got such bans for really minor stuff. If they're acting this way with Canadians, imagine what they'll do to everyone else.

Avalily

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cpc ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2014
Nomination.....
17-02-2014
AOR Received.
28-04-2014
Med's Request
28-04-2014
Med's Done....
21-05-2014
stopDA said:

reading these make me worry, i am schedule to go back to canada this may 18 and i am holding a work permit expiring this november. My entry will be Vancouver..i am. really worried..will it help if i print my nomination status and my application file number for permanent residency? Why will they hold a person overnight with valid documents? they should be informed with the rules and exemptions...their job is tough and they should be knowledgeable with their judgment...

mdeleon

Mar 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stopDA said:

Thank you StopDa for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. Actually my port of entry is Calgary airport. :)

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Avalily said:
reading these make me worry, i am schedule to go back to canada this may 18 and i am holding a work permit expiring this november. My entry will be Vancouver..i am. really worried..will it help if i print my nomination status and my application file number for permanent residency? Why will they hold a person overnight with valid documents? they should be informed with the rules and exemptions...their job is tough and they should be knowledgeable with their judgment...
The more documents you have, the better. If anyone gives you trouble, simply request to speak to one of their superiors or someone else and explain it to them. By the way, is your job in food service?

Avalily

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cpc ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2014
Nomination.....
17-02-2014
AOR Received.
28-04-2014
Med's Request
28-04-2014
Med's Done....
21-05-2014
stopDA said:
The more documents you have, the better. If anyone gives you trouble, simply request to speak to one of their superiors or someone else and explain it to them. By the way, is your job in food service?
yes im on the food service industry...thats what im planning to do because im gettiing paranoid...already talked to service canada and told me that i should not have a problem because it's for those people who doesnt have a work permit yet and thats what the cio have been told too.

mdeleon

Mar 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Avalily said:
yes im on the food service industry...thats what im planning to do because im gettiing paranoid...already talked to service canada and told me that i should not have a problem because it's for those people who doesnt have a work permit yet and thats what the cio have been told too.
hi I think one of the forum members here has the same situation as you. She's also holding a work permit that will expire on July. Her port of entry was in Vancouver. But she made through the immigration and allowed her to enter Canada. I hope this would lessen your worries. :D

PS: May I ask what's the contact number of the cic? Are you in the Phil?

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mdeleon said:
hi I think one of the forum members here has the same situation as you. She's also holding a work permit that will expire on July. Her port of entry was in Vancouver. But she made through the immigration and allowed her to enter Canada. I hope this would lessen your worries. :D

PS: May I ask what's the contact number of the cic? Are you in the Phil?
Well then there should be no worry.

Man415

Jul 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
Med's Request
10-02-14
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Passport Req..
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
Guys I didn't mean to "scare" workers coming in either a new worker or taking a vacation.I have a friend coming in also in few weeks and I have told him the story.I just wanted to share that this is really happening.Not all are being sent back in the point of entry.I did what StopDA have mentioned to my friend to show them the facts about the new moratorium that if you have an existing work permit you are allowed to enter and continue working until it expires.For new workers you should be allowed because the moratorium came in effect even before they came.
Just be prepared.