+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes in Canada for the first time...

lahzy

Nov 12, 2009
Hi,

I have landed to Canada December 28th, 2010. During 2011, I stayed in Canada 5 months on and off. I haven't earned any income from Canada while I stayed over there. Now I reside outside Canada. I haven't filed taxes in Canada before. I am planning on moving to Canada by mid 2013.

Regarding Taxes:
1- Can I file the taxes online?
2- What are my options?
2.1 Should I wait till I move there first, and then file for the time I spent there in 2011?
2.2 Should I download some forms, fill them up and send them by mail from where I am?

Let me know what you think.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a tax resident of Canada (meaning you maintain things like bank accounts, your spouse/kids live here, you have library card and the list goes on...) then you are required to file taxes with your worldwide income. If you have no income then you don't have to file taxes unless you want to apply for benefits. You can't file your taxes online if it's your first time.

¬m2l

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
me2land said:
If you are a tax resident of Canada (meaning you maintain things like bank accounts, your spouse/kids live here, you have library card and the list goes on...) then you are required to file taxes with your worldwide income. If you have no income then you don't have to file taxes unless you want to apply for benefits. You can't file your taxes online if it's your first time.

¬m2l
How does tax work on foreign income like - income in india which get taxed there , do we need to pay tax on that again in Canada .

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you need to file taxes for 2011 unless you have significant residential ties (maintain things like a home in Canada, your spouse live there, etc). You don't have to do anything until you move in Canada.

Oct 24, 2011
Dear Steaky,

A am PR, I was retaining my checking account in canada from 2009 and transferred my foreign income till date, I lived there less than 6 month, but paid for all my medical bills as non resident since I left canada without residing 6 month, I do not have any more links and income with Canada. Only checking account without any interest, do you think they will push me to pay taxes when I will arrive for past years from 2009 as a selfemployed immigrant.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you lived in Canada for less than 6 months, never had any income and do not have real estate or a 2nd home in Canada and you never filed taxes, you have not become a tax resident yet so they will not expect you to file for a period that happens before you settle in Canada. Once you become a tax resident and start filing taxes in Canada, you will need to inform CRA if that changes.

If you had worked in Canada briefly and filed taxes once or twice and then leave, they can not know that you left unless you tell them so they will still expect you to file. If that is the case, let them know you have moved away. Ask them to consider you a non-resident for tax purposes and that should be it.

Oct 24, 2011
Dear Leon and Steaky,

Thanks for your input, I never filed any Income Tax return, from 2009 I lived only 146 days without work, without purchasing any property, just rental. What I am afraid that they can say that I was retaining my bank account, no credit card nothing. Do you think that bank account can create additional problem for me?

Thanks again.

drama1971

May 27, 2012
Dear Leon,

I also have a question about my tax issue in Canada. I became a PR in 2007. Just stayed 2 months and leaved the country. About 2 months ago I entered Canada before my PR card expired without facing any problem on the border. Having not build ties here in Canada for last 5 years, I did not file the income tax.

Now I am planning to stay here to meet my residency obligation before applying PR renewal, so what should I do next year to file income tax for CRA. Is it a problem not filing tax income between 2007-2011? Or is it possible to file the tax income in 2013 for 2012 (after 5 years becoming PR)?

It is really confusing for me that I got advise from an immigration adviser saying that I should file tax income as zero as a PR holder!.

I would be really appriciate for any advise.

Best

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to file for any years you were not living in Canada but in 2013, you can file for 2012.

saw

Feb 27, 2011
Dear Leon
Thanks to support/Advice
I landed as PR for 1 month on 2012 and then moved outside canada till now, I only transferred some money to my bank account in Canada
Should i do any kind of tax report ? Or i should wait till i move to Canada ?
Thanks
BR/SAW

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saw said:
Dear Leon
Thanks to support/Advice
I landed as PR for 1 month on 2012 and then moved outside canada till now, I only transferred some money to my bank account in Canada
Should i do any kind of tax report ? Or i should wait till i move to Canada ?
Thanks
BR/SAW
Wait until you move.