+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxation on foreign property sold

montesir

Apr 3, 2016
Hi all.. I have a question regarding taxation in Canada on capital gain from sale on foreign property and its FX implications.

Question: I migrate to Canada in 2013 and the value of foreign property e.g. is $120,000 (based fair value on the date I land). I disclose this in my tax return for 2014. In 2015 I sell the property for $140,000. The gain in terms of capital appreciation is only $5,000 but the foreign exchange rate impact is $15,000. I do not remit any money to Canada so do not really benefit from the exchange gain. Do I have to pay capital gain tax for the entire $20,000 or for just $5,000?

thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

montesir said:
Hi all.. I have a question regarding taxation in Canada on capital gain from sale on foreign property and its FX implications.

Question: I migrate to Canada in 2013 and the value of foreign property e.g. is $120,000 (based fair value on the date I land). I disclose this in my tax return for 2014. In 2015 I sell the property for $140,000. The gain in terms of capital appreciation is only $5,000 but the foreign exchange rate impact is $15,000. I do not remit any money to Canada so do not really benefit from the exchange gain. Do I have to pay capital gain tax for the entire $20,000 or for just $5,000?

thanks.
1. It looks like you will have to pay the capital gains on the $20K, but check with an accountant.

From CRA Capital Gains

When calculating the capital gain or loss on the sale of capital property that was made in a foreign currency:

convert the proceeds of disposition to Canadian dollars using the exchange rate in effect at the time of the sale;
convert the adjusted cost base of the property to Canadian dollars using the exchange rate in effect at the time the property was acquired; and

convert the outlays and expenses to Canadian dollars using the exchange rate in effect at the time they were incurred.

naticom

Jul 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2016
Doc's Request.
27-07-2016 RCMP
AOR Received.
AOR1 26-04-2016 AOR2 14-06-2016
File Transfer...
06-06-2016
Hi,

I have similar question but I remember if the foreign propety is for self-use only, not for business or for making money, the tax is exempted.

I sold my condo and want to wire my money to Canada. However, I did not go back so my mom will take of this thing. Will CRA check my account if they see my mom wiring the money (about 150K) into my account? What should I prepare to prove that those are my money? Is the sell agreement good enough?

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
naticom said:
Hi,

I have similar question but I remember if the foreign propety is for self-use only, not for business or for making money, the tax is exempted.
Thanks
You are confusing the primary residence capital gain exemption with your situation. You can not be exempt from capital gains taxes on foreign properties, only those in Canada that you reside in. Further, with the changes to this exemption last week, you can expect extra scrutiny from the CRA so I would advise against event trying to evade taxes on the sale transaction.

MCHamilton

Jan 25, 2017
Looking for a Tax Accountant in Canada that can help with submitting (or prepare) a 2016 return that includes a property sold in Mexico (to understand Cap Gains and any other implications). Greatest source of confusion is the belief that I paid Cap Gains to the Mx Notary when closing the deal and the tri-lateral agreement applies that payment to my Cdn taxes.

andy6835

Jul 30, 2014
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MCHamilton said:
Looking for a Tax Accountant in Canada that can help with submitting (or prepare) a 2016 return that includes a property sold in Mexico (to understand Cap Gains and any other implications). Greatest source of confusion is the belief that I paid Cap Gains to the Mx Notary when closing the deal and the tri-lateral agreement applies that payment to my Cdn taxes.
You can contact on 647-408-5535. Jalpesh Patel. He is professional, licensed & has a great service in Canada. He expertises in the similar cases. Good Luck.!