+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax/Payroll Information

sl2ubc

Nov 26, 2013
I'm planning on submitting a CEC application before the end of the year as a graduate of a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution that has completed the 3-yr open work permit term and has renewed their work permit via an approved LMO under a recognized NOC. By mid-december of this year, I will have fulfilled 12 months of work experience under that NOC.

What I would like to know is, with respect to proof of work experience and, specifically, the requirement of "copies of your T4 tax information slips and your Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency for the period(s) of work experience you identify in your application (CIC Preferred)
OR
A sufficient combination of other supporting documentation, which could include copies of a record or letter of employment from the employer in Canada, work contracts and pay stubs for the period(s) of work experience you identify in your application", will my application drastically suffer in its chances of approval if I opt for the second option?

In addition, I would not that 2012's return would only highlight 3 months of potentially eligible work experience.

It's my own fault that I have not been diligent with filing taxes, and as such, I may not get my returns back in time to submit for 2013. As such, any feedback on how best to handle this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million!

gudluckcanada

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
App. Filed.......
11-12-2017
AOR Received.
02-01-2018
Hi

I think your reference letter and your recent pay stub should be proof enough for your last 1 year. I dont think your 2013 tax filing would be that important. If you have your tax filing for 2012 (that is submitted in 2013) should be fine.

I hope I got your question right

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
I submitted my 2012 T4 and NOA ( showing experience from August 2012 - December 2012 ),
and my latest 2013 ( august by that time, to show my year-to-date earnings ) along with the reference letter from my employer dated September 2013
as proof of employment/experience.

The documents I submitted should be proof enough for my experience gained in 2012 and 2013.

sl2ubc

Nov 26, 2013
It's my 2012 which I haven't filed yet that is the problem, including several preceding years. Yes, it's rather embarrassing on my part. I could file for just 2012 now but it will not have a carry forward amount from the previous year and I was wondering if there would be any concern about that/red flags.

That's what I'm referring to. So either I submit letters of employment and all pay stubs, or I file my 2012 return and submit this with my stubs in addition to the letter of employment. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sl2ubc said:
It's my 2012 which I haven't filed yet that is the problem, including several preceding years. Yes, it's rather embarrassing on my part. I could file for just 2012 now but it will not have a carry forward amount from the previous year and I was wondering if there would be any concern about that/red flags.

That's what I'm referring to. So either I submit letters of employment and all pay stubs, or I file my 2012 return and submit this with my stubs in addition to the letter of employment. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks again!
In that case you maybe should look into:

> http://www.walletpop.ca/blog/2011/02/22/tax-return-do-you-have-to-file/

and

> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/ntrst/menu-eng.html

Having said all that, as per updated document checklist, a combination of contract, paystubs and record of employment
would be sufficient tooo.

sl2ubc

Nov 26, 2013
Would there be any point in submitting the returns when I have received them? (Let's assume they arrive by the 2nd week of January but I managed to submit my application by Mid-Dec 2013)

gudluckcanada

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
App. Filed.......
11-12-2017
AOR Received.
02-01-2018
I think you should submit your tax returns now and it should be processed soon as this is not a peak time. Also if for some reason you need it sometime soon then you dont need to wait for it again.

Go ahead with filing your tax returns.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sl2ubc said:
Would there be any point in submitting the returns when I have received them? (Let's assume they arrive by the 2nd week of January but I managed to submit my application by Mid-Dec 2013)
Yes, Canada is very serious about its residents paying taxes, and it would be a red flag if you just ignored that requirement. But if you file your 2012 return late, it would be OK to submit your CEC application in December, and then assuming they find your application sufficiently complete to put into processing, when you get your AOR/file number, you could add your NOA (not your return, just the NOA) as soon as you get it.