+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing for new comer

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Canadian citizen and husband here. I sponsored my wife to bring her to Canada and for her PR last year. She landed in October 2019.

Does she need to file her first tax declaration soon, for her 2019 months living in Canada? She didn’t work.

Thanks.

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Yes. Even if she didn't work, she should file her taxes and declare that she has not worked and didn't make a single dime. She might then be eligible to get some benefits from the government, for example, Child Benefits, Climate action incentive, etc.

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
If recall many many years ago when I came to Canada, someone was telling me about either not filing or not paying taxes for 3 years or something like that. Can’t remember. But for sure when I’ll go to do mine with an accountant I’ll tell him about my wife.

As far as benefits, what do you mean? She doesn’t have kids.

immonger

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
If recall many many years ago when I came to Canada, someone was telling me about either not filing or not paying taxes for 3 years or something like that. Can’t remember.
I am not aware of any such exemptions. I would recommend she files returns regardless of her employment status. Everyone should do it. and if you don't have kids, you can look into various other incentives that an unemployed but educated person could benefit from.

Reactions: PeacefulMan

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
I am not aware of any such exemptions. I would recommend she files returns regardless of her employment status. Everyone should do it. and if you don't have kids, you can look into various other incentives that an unemployed but educated person could benefit from.
do you mind sharing some links or indicate where to go and read and find out more about such incentives please?