+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tansition between study permit and work permit

bbtom

Feb 18, 2016
Hi Guys, I found this form is awfully helpful for anybody seeking immigration to Canada. Thanks to all the members and participants for their generous, sincere inputs. Hope somebody can advice me and share their experience to clarify my concerns.

I am an international student already into my final semester(PG) in one of the colleges in Toronto. In the meantime I have a job offer from a good employer while I have 4 months remaining to complete the course requirements. It is an immediate and permanent post and they are ready to get a work permit for me. As it is a tempting offer I am planing to drop my last semester to join them and come back later (after obtaining the PR) to complete the program requirements.

The following are my concerns.......

1. Once my employer submit my work permit application to CIC, what will be the status of my study permit?

2. Whether the study permit still valid until they issue work permit. Means whether I can continue my study under the existing study permit until CIC issue the work permit? Can I complete the course if the processing takes 3-4 months.

3. What happens if the work permit processing time exceeds study permit validity, March17. Whether it is like PGWP, once the application is accepted we can continue in Canada until we receive the WP? I am aware that I cannot work until I receive WP.

4. What is the processing time in CIC for a work permit application by an employer?

Can somebody share your experience in a similar situation

Many Thanks & Best Regards

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
bbtom said:
Hi Guys, I found this form is awfully helpful for anybody seeking immigration to Canada. Thanks to all the members and participants for their generous, sincere inputs. Hope somebody can advice me and share their experience to clarify my concerns.

I am an international student already into my final semester(PG) in one of the colleges in Toronto. In the meantime I have a job offer from a good employer while I have 4 months remaining to complete the course requirements. It is an immediate and permanent post and they are ready to get a work permit for me. As it is a tempting offer I am planing to drop my last semester to join them and come back later (after obtaining the PR) to complete the program requirements.

The following are my concerns.......

1. Once my employer submit my work permit application to CIC, what will be the status of my study permit?

2. Whether the study permit still valid until they issue work permit. Means whether I can continue my study under the existing study permit until CIC issue the work permit? Can I complete the course if the processing takes 3-4 months.

3. What happens if the work permit processing time exceeds study permit validity, March17. Whether it is like PGWP, once the application is accepted we can continue in Canada until we receive the WP? I am aware that I cannot work until I receive WP.

4. What is the processing time in CIC for a work permit application by an employer?

Can somebody share your experience in a similar situation

Many Thanks & Best Regards
1. Your potential employer can't submit work permit application for you. The employer can apply for LMIA for you. Once LMIA is approved, you can submit application for work permit (or do flag-pooling) to obtain work permit. Applying for LMIA doesn't change your status in Canada (i.e. your student permit still holds).
2. Yes.
3. If LMIA processing time exceeds your student permit validity, then you will be out of status once your study permit expires and you will need to apply for another temporary permit (i.e. visitor visa) or left home and wait for decision there. If LMIA is approved before your student permit expires and you applied for WP, then you will be on implied status which allows you to stay in Canada until decision on your WP is made.
4. LMIA processing time varies from several weeks to several months. There are additional (time consuming) steps which should be made by employer who applies for LMIA - such as advertising the job for several weeks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bbtom said:
Very many Thanks pfse......
The answers are crystal clear.
The LMIA process often takes 4-6 months to complete end to end. So even if your employer is willing to go through the process of getting the LMIA, you're not going to be working full time for them anytime soon. You are better off finishing school and applying for a PGWP.

bbtom

Feb 18, 2016
Thanks scylla, for your valuable input....

But, during the process of LMIA, I can complete the final semester (as the process takes 4-6 months) and subsequently apply for PGWP. So, during the initial stage of PGWP will be able to obtain the employers WP,
though I do not know this will of any benefit for my carrier? Forgive me if this is a silly question b'cause my
knowledge on these WP issues are extremely poor. What is the beneficial difference between PGWP and WP?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
You can not get a workpermit for a full time permanent position. You're better off waiting until you have graduated and received your post graduate work permit (if you are elligible) and then start working. If your presumptive employer is serious about wanting you, they will most likely agree to wait for you and keep you on at part time until you have graduated.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
bbtom said:
What is the beneficial difference between PGWP and WP?
PGWP is open work permit and allows you to work for any (well, almost any) employer in Canada. WP which is obtained through LMIA is a closed WP allows you to work only for employer who obtained LMIA for you. On the other hand LMIA gives you 600 point in EE if you ever decide to apply for permanent residence. This almost guaranty that your EE application will be selected.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Downside is that on a WP, should you be fired and/or leave your job, your permit is no longer valid and would have to leave the country.

bbtom

Feb 18, 2016
Thank you guys... My proposed employer has agreed to keep me on part time (20 hrs a week) until I graduate in next 4 months. PGWP will follow later.

Once again thanks for all your time and wright suggestions.

Best Regards

Stockholm

Oct 25, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
I have a kinda similar situation above. However, mine is, I still have 2 terms to complete my studies including this term which just started. I have a lmia closed wp offer as kitchen lead/ manager. as per owner it is noc 6322, which I presumed might be eligible for CEC after 1 year. I am tempted to accept the offer because , I struggled to 1 of my course- failed twice and this term would be my last attempt. If fail again, then I cant move forward, since Lack of prerequisite with other course… Please help me decide on this..Thank you all..

Stockholm

Oct 25, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Also, I’d like to know what happens to my study permit, if the employer has lmia ready..can I keep studying and finish this term while waiting for wp,
?

GMP97

Jun 25, 2019
Pakistan, Karachi
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
22-11-2019
Passport Req..
19-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23/12/2019
LANDED..........
25/12/2019
Thanks scylla, for your valuable input....

But, during the process of LMIA, I can complete the final semester (as the process takes 4-6 months) and subsequently apply for PGWP. So, during the initial stage of PGWP will be able to obtain the employers WP,
though I do not know this will of any benefit for my carrier? Forgive me if this is a silly question b'cause my
knowledge on these WP issues are extremely poor. What is the beneficial difference between PGWP and WP?
If you get LMIA and get Work Permit that way you can only work for the employer that isssued the LMIA

PGWP is based on you getting your Bachelors degree and you can work anywhere you like full time

Being already in canada WP through LMIA does not really make sense for you