+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking Citizenship Oath? - Prohibitions Period 6 years or 5 years?

wbmaple

Aug 31, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear people,

Just before taking the Oath of Citizenship, one has to sign a form confirming one does NOT have any prohibitions from becoming a citizen.

In previous years this was form CIT 0039 (05-2015) which required the candidate to confirm there were no prohibitions in the past SIX years!

Could any of the recent Oath Takers confirm if this form has been amended to reflect the changes made by Bill C-6 i.e. has the prohibitions period been reduced to FIVE years?

Thanks

wbmaple

Aug 31, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Question 1 below: Has 6 years been replaced by 5 years?
In Questions 13 and 14 below: Has 4 years been replaced by 3 years?

This is what Previous Form CIT 0039 (05-2015) - Prohibitions Under the Citizenship Act reads:

You will not be granted citizenship and cannot take the Oath of Citizenship if any of the following prohibitions apply to you.

PROHIBITIONS UNDER THE CITIZENSHIP ACT

1. Are you now, or have you ever been in the last 6 years:
  • On probation?
  • On parole?
  • An inmate of a penitentiary, jail, reformatory, or prison?
2. Are you now serving a sentence outside Canada for an offence?

3. Are you now charged with, on trial for, or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to, an offence under the Citizenship Act or an indictable offence in Canada?

4. Are you now charged with, on trial for, or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to, an offence outside Canada?

5. Are you now, or have you ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)?

6. Are you now under investigation for, charged with, on trial for, subject to or a party to an appeal relating to or have you been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity?

7. Have you directly or indirectly misrepresented or withheld material circumstances relating to this application, or in the past 5 years, were you prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the Oath because of misrepresentation or withholding material circumstances?

8. In the past 10 years, have you had Canadian citizenship which has been taken away (revoked) for reasons of false representation, fraud, or knowingly concealing material circumstances?

9. Have you had Canadian citizenship which has been taken away (revoked) because you were convicted of terrorism, high treason, or spying offences or because you served as a member of an armed force of a country or an organized armed group and that country or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada?

10. While a permanent resident, have you been convicted in Canada of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences?

11. While a permanent resident, have you been convicted outside Canada of terrorism offences?

12. While a permanent resident, have you served as a member of an armed force of a country or an organized armed group and that country or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada?

13. In the past 4 years, have you been convicted of an indictable offence under any Act of Parliament or an offence under the Citizenship Act?

14. In the past 4 years, have you been convicted of an offence outside Canada, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence?

CIT 0039 (05-2015) E GCMS (DISPONIBLE EN FRANCAIS – CIT 0039 F)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear people,

Just before taking the Oath of Citizenship, one has to sign a form confirming one does NOT have any prohibitions from becoming a citizen.

In previous years this was form CIT 0039 (05-2015) which required the candidate to confirm there were no prohibitions in the past SIX years!

Could any of the recent Oath Takers confirm if this form has been amended to reflect the changes made by Bill C-6 i.e. has the prohibitions period been reduced to FIVE years?

Thanks
The form in use till now remain the same, aka CIT 0039 (05-2015) ⤵

Image courtesy Sa3Sa3

However, this one was required to be submitted during my Test/Interview, not during my Oath ceremony. ⬅Click the links to read my blogs.

During my oath ceremony we had to sign one form in two places. Which was different than the above. We were told that we shouldn't be having any prohibitions in the last five yrs. And we signed this form just before receiving our certificates, not before taking the oath. The two signs in the same from reflected (1)we have taken the oath and (2)we have no prohibitions against becoming a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: wbmaple

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Foremost, as always, applicants should follow the instructions they personally receive, either in communications from IRCC or in-person at the interview, test, or oath ceremony. There are variations in these depending on when the application was made. So it is what IRCC applies to the particular applicant that controls. What the applicant gets will almost certainly mirror the prohibitions item in the version of the application submitted by the applicant.

Are you now, or have you ever been [on probation or incarcerated] in the last 6 years?

The applicable time period for which probation or incarceration is relevant DEPENDS on the date the application was made. It can be FOUR, or SIX, or FIVE years.

I do not recall the specifics in the form to be signed at the interview and/or oath (depending on local office practices), BUT the applicable prohibitions and other related restrictions are the SAME as those in the application form itself. See the comparable item in the application form the particular individual submitted, and those will be the same the applicant generally MUST affirm at the interview and again at the oath (either explicitly as asked, verbally or by signature, AND otherwise disclosed even if NOT asked if any of the items applies).

Only being on probation or in jail NOW constitutes a prohibition.

Otherwise, different time periods apply for this item DEPENDING on the date the application was made. Time on probation or in jail during the relevant period for calculating physical presence does not constitute a prohibition BUT those days are excluded, that is treated as days ABSENT from CANADA. So the relevant time period for a person who applied before June 11, 2015 is FOUR years; for those who applied between June 11, 2015 and October 10, 2017, it is SIX years, and for those who applied since October 11, 2017, the relevant period is FIVE years. Date of interview or oath is NOT relevant for this. Date of application determines the applicable time period since the date of application determines which presence requirement applies.

However, it warrants noting that current applications (since October 11, 2017) deal with this differently than previously; that is, the approach for applications made after October 11, 2017 deals with probation and jail time differently than previous applications. It is the online presence calculator that asks about any probation or jail time during the eligibility period, during the FIVE years period prior to applying, so that those days will NOT be counted toward meeting the presence requirement. In the prohibitions item in the application form itself, regarding probation or incarceration, the prohibitions section specifically asks about being on probation or incarcerated NOW, without reference to any previous period of time.

In contrast, the section of the form in the application prior to October 11, 2017 addressed the probation or jail question in the prohibitions sections, covering "now" as well as going back SIX years (see 10-2016 version of the application for example), similar to how this item is phrased in your query and in the copy-image of the CIT 0039 version posted by @qorax.

13. In the past 4 years, have you been convicted of an indictable offence under any Act of Parliament or an offence under the Citizenship Act?
14. In the past 4 years, have you been convicted of an offence outside Canada, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence?

NO. The applicable period of prohibition for convictions has remained the same since May 2015 (first reflected in the June 2015 application along with the changes that took effect June 11, 2015). Four years. (For some reason many seem to think these prohibitions are connected to the presence requirement, and so the four year time period should have been reduced to three, but the statutory provisions prescribing these prohibitions have NO connection to the presence requirement, and again, these provisions remain the same.)

Note, if there are any applicants who applied prior to late May 2015 still in process, I do not recall the transitional provisions governing how the prohibition for convictions will apply to such applications; and thus without revisiting both the Harper era Bill C-24 and the more recent Bill C-6, I am not sure whether the prohibition remained a THREE year period for those applicants or the increased time period apply to them. And I am not sure number 14 applies at all (prior to May 2015 there was NO prohibition for foreign convictions).

But for all those who applied since May 2015, for sure, both these (Canadian and foreign convictions) constitute a prohibition for FOUR years (nothing about this was changed by Bill C-6).

Item 14 also illustrates a situation in which a "yes" answer might NOT constitute a prohibition. Remember, if IRCC asks, the question must be answered and answered truthfully. There are various situations in which a person might be convicted of an "offence" in a foreign country BUT that conviction would not meet the criteria of an offence which prohibits the grant of citizenship. For example, in some countries a person may be convicted of theft for failing to pay a debt, but the guilty acts would NOT constitute a crime in Canada, so such a conviction is not a prohibition . . . but that is for IRCC to assess, so the conviction needs to be disclosed and IRCC will determine its effect.

Reactions: wbmaple

molin

May 2, 2013
Dear people,

Thanks
Hi. Is the prohibition form provided before the ceremony and should be signed infront of the immigration officers? I received my email for oath invite but the attachments does not include this form but it reads:

Please print, fill out and bring the following:

1. Notice to Appear
2. Media Release Form
3. Prohibitions Form

Not sure where to get the prohibitions form. Please help!

VT3691

Feb 4, 2020
I have a similar question, but specifically I had a DIU misdemeanor in the US in 2011 (no damages, just caught due to waving) and was on probation in 2012. Since in the citizenship application (CIT 0002(10-2017)) the only requirement was to have no convictions during FOUR years before the application, I submitted my application in the end of 2017 and I TOLD the officer during the interview about my conviction and probation. Furthermore, I submitted the US police certificate and the court documents to the immigration officer after his request. I also checked the entire Citizenship Act and the only requirement was the four year period after the conviction of indictable offence, nothing about five or more years.
Now I just got my citizenship application approved and must go to the ceremony soon, but formally I should indicate in the PROHIBITIONS UNDER THE CITIZENSHIP ACT form that I was on probation within 5 years from my application, which should exclude me from taking the oath. That all seems very controversial. Doesn't CIT 0039 (10-2017) E form contradict the Citizenship Act? What should I say in the Prohibitions form? Thank you

Last edited:

Cancitizenapp2022

Star Member
Jan 2, 2022
I have a similar question, but specifically I had a DIU misdemeanor in the US in 2011 (no damages, just caught due to waving) and was on probation in 2012. Since in the citizenship application (CIT 0002(10-2017)) the only requirement was to have no convictions during FOUR years before the application, I submitted my application in the end of 2017 and I TOLD the officer during the interview about my conviction and probation. Furthermore, I submitted the US police certificate and the court documents to the immigration officer after his request. I also checked the entire Citizenship Act and the only requirement was the four year period after the conviction of indictable offence, nothing about five or more years.
Now I just got my citizenship application approved and must go to the ceremony soon, but formally I should indicate in the PROHIBITIONS UNDER THE CITIZENSHIP ACT form that I was on probation within 5 years from my application, which should exclude me from taking the oath. That all seems very controversial. Doesn't CIT 0039 (10-2017) E form contradict the Citizenship Act? What should I say in the Prohibitions form? Thank you
Hey similar situation, how did you answer on the form. I have oth soon.
Thanks for you help in advance