+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sydney, NS. Processing Time

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Under Category 1 of a federal skilled worker I have to submit my application to Sydney, Nova Scotia first.

1) Does anyone know how long it may take to have it recommended for further assessment by them?

2) I didn't take IELTS test. I'm going to indicate that in my application. At the same time they don't want you to send any supporting documents. I have an MBA degree from the US university. Can I send my transcript, a letter of employment from the US employer, and letters of recommendation from my US professors as a proof of a language proficiency?

Can American MBA serve as a proof of a proficiency in English language? Otherwise how can you live and study in the USA if you don't know English. Does anyone have any experience doing that?

Thanks

P.S. What will happen if instead of submitting my application to Sydney, NS I'll submit my application and all the supporting documents to the visa office in my country or Buffalo, US?

black haired guy

Star Member
Dec 3, 2008
rupeshhari said:
If you submit your application to Buffalo, apparently they will return the application to you. If you check up trackitt.com, some people's got returned as they had sent it to Buffalo.
I thought people living in US for a min of 1 year have to apply to Buffalo office. When did this change? and since my application was returned back (for lack of IELTS and I-797 H1 Visa form) now where do i have to apply again?

black haired guy

Star Member
Dec 3, 2008
rupeshhari said:
Black haired guy, have you worked in the US and studied in the US? Can you also give us a timeline of your application?

SPA, it looks like blackhaired guy lives in the US (but from another country) and his/her form was returned for the lack of IELTS.
Yes and yes. Applied on Nov 6 to Buffalo, NY. Application came back Nov 26th.

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks a lot for your replies!!!

I don't want to lie in my application. But can I say "yes" for question about IELTS? And take the test later?

Another thing I can take chances and say "no" and attach my transcripts and so on to the application. I think it won't take them long to return the application.... In this case I can take the test.

No, I don't understand how it works with Sydney. They don't want supporting documents and at the same time they are able to give you points just reading the information that you provided.

I understand that if English is your secong language you should take the test. But how come the US universities give you a chance to do your MBA, and at the same time Canadian visa officers doubt your language proficiency.
No, guys there's really no way to do your MBA in the US if your don't know English. I know, many international students have an accent but at the same time they can express their thoughts very well. No, this is rediculous.

I'd love to take this test but it's kinda expensive. It costs $350 in my country to take it.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
A English Professor with Phd in English from Oxford was required by us to submit IELTS scores which were virtually perfect.Draw your own conclusion,Do you refuse to take IELTS if the consequence will be denial??/This Professor humbled himself and now teaches English at Kwantlen University or are you too proud???Pride is not worth Denial

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can absolutely estimate your points without taking IELTS and provide other documents of why you should get those points. They may ask you to take IELTS anyway. If they do, you will have to take it. If you have enough points, it's not a problem. Only if you estimate yourself full points for English and really need them, you might find it hard to do that well on the IELTS so you should take it before just in case to make sure that you can.

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks for your replies!

I think it makes sense to take the test then. I read trackitt.com. Most of them were required to take the test.

Another question:

I read another topic but just wanted to make sure it's true.

Can I indicate that I worked as an English professor at the university and put # 4121 if I had only Bachelor's degree at that time?

Thanks

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Yes, my Bachelor's degree is in Linguistics. I tought full time. I can get the letter in English. Or do I need to get it in my language and then translate it into English? Should they write English professor in the letter?

Also, do I need to go to the local police department in the US and ask them to take my figerprints? Do I need to bring anything with me to the police?

relycanada

Dec 21, 2008
You are NOT required to send IELTS when sending your application to Sydney office.It is you who have to judge in your own wisdom what you want to claim.Ielts test report form not required at this stage.Even if you have not written exam still you can claim 16 points if you are sure about it and write exam before sending to your local visa office.If you score less then you can indicate accordingly in the form (provided you do not fall below 67 points).
If Sydney office clears you then you have to send ALL documents to your visa post which you had indicated in your application.Now at this stage you provide EITHER ielts or english write up to support your claim.With IELTS result you your self can judge what you got but with write up visa officer will judge and give points.So Sydney office, do not send these documents.
rely

spa said:
Under Category 1 of a federal skilled worker I have to submit my application to Sydney, Nova Scotia first.

1) Does anyone know how long it may take to have it recommended for further assessment by them?

2) I didn't take IELTS test. I'm going to indicate that in my application. At the same time they don't want you to send any supporting documents. I have an MBA degree from the US university. Can I send my transcript, a letter of employment from the US employer, and letters of recommendation from my US professors as a proof of a language proficiency?

Can American MBA serve as a proof of a proficiency in English language? Otherwise how can you live and study in the USA if you don't know English. Does anyone have any experience doing that?

Thanks

P.S. What will happen if instead of submitting my application to Sydney, NS I'll submit my application and all the supporting documents to the visa office in my country or Buffalo, US?

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks guys

There is a form on the FBI website that I can use to have my fingerprints taken.
"The FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division will accept the downloaded paper fingerprint card only for the purposes of requesting an FBI Identification Record through Departmental Order 556-73. If you go to a law enforcement agency or private fingerprinting agency to be fingerprinted, they may prefer to use a fingerprint card on standard card stock. You may use the fingerprint card provided by the fingerprinting agency".

"Previously processed fingerprint cards will not be accepted".

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

1) Can I use the form from the FBI website or they have fingerprint cards at the police department?

2) Does FBI accept fingerprint cards that were taken 3-4 month ago?
What if I get my fingerprints taken now and then leave to my country. What if I need to send fingerprint card to FBI only in 4 month? Will they request a fresh one?

Sharonl

Oct 6, 2008
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone could give me a definite answer to my question.

I will be applying for the Canadian Permanent Residency as a Federal skilled worker under Cat. 1 and am residing for a year in the US, I am from China. I am wondering if I should send my application to Nova Scotia, Canada or to the visa office in Buffalo, NY? (Are we even allowed to send applications to Buffalo anymore?)

Also, if I sent the application to NS, will I be asked to send all supporting documents to the office in Buffalo? I am really confused with the changes implemented recently. Lastly, there are two addresses given for applications to be sent to NS, which one should I used?

Citizenship & Immigration Canada
Federal Skilled Worker
Centralized Intake Unit PO BOX 7500 Sydney, NS B1P 0A9
Canada

Or

Courier Address:
Federal Skilled Worker
Centralized Intake Unit
196 George Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 1J3
Canada

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Sharonl said:
I will be applying for the Canadian Permanent Residency as a Federal skilled worker under Cat. 1 and am residing for a year in the US, I am from China. I am wondering if I should send my application to Nova Scotia, Canada or to the visa office in Buffalo, NY? (Are we even allowed to send applications to Buffalo anymore?)
I think it's already been discussed in this topic. I have the same situation. Under category 1 you have to send your documents to Sydney, NS. If you send them to NY they will be returned.