+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching to International Student and validity of health card

Dec 12, 2019
Urgent Please!!!
I was on work permit, very recently submitted PR application, and both my work permit and health card was valid for almost 2 yrs.
Also, I got my study permit for international student approved couple of days back. My question is
1) while my PR application is on processing when I am on study permit for international student, can I use health card now?
Thanks in advance..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Urgent Please!!!
I was on work permit, very recently submitted PR application, and both my work permit and health card was valid for almost 2 yrs.
Also, I got my study permit for international student approved couple of days back. My question is
1) while my PR application is on processing when I am on study permit for international student, can I use health card now?
Thanks in advance..
Are you still working, is your work permit still valid and is your health card still valid?

Reactions: winterpeg_2019
Dec 12, 2019
Actually my work permit and health card are valid until 2022. Meanwhile I applied for study permit as an intentional student and hoping to get it approved within next two weeks. My question is what will be my status after two weeks?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Actually my work permit and health card are valid until 2022. Meanwhile I applied for study permit as an intentional student and hoping to get it approved within next two weeks. My question is what will be my status after two weeks?
Since you cant hold both the study permit and a work permit you will be a student after receiving a study permit and your work permit will no longer be valid. International students in canada cant have provincial healthcare anymore so you will be covered under the university insurance. I was insured with the blue cross at my university so could still go see the doctor but had to pay for insurance with my tuition

Reactions: winterpeg_2019
Dec 12, 2019
Since you cant hold both the study permit and a work permit you will be a student after receiving a study permit and your work permit will no longer be valid. International students in canada cant have provincial healthcare anymore so you will be covered under the university insurance. I was insured with the blue cross at my university so could still go see the doctor but had to pay for insurance with my tuition
Thank you so much for clarifying. peace.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
International students can be covered by provincial health. It depends on the province.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you do have to start your studies before coverage starts whether it is through provincial plan or international student plan.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given the covid situation you need to make sure you have health coverage that does cover covid 19 care and testing.