+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from student permit to work permit

chabelita0102

Sep 30, 2018
Hi, I am an international student studying in a private college and I am already halfway completing my studies (still have 1 more year). Since i am studying in a private college my husband isnt eligible for an open work permit. If he gets admission to a public college (coz i dont want to study anymore i did lots back home) can i drop my program and apply for an open work permit as a dependent of my husband?
Your insights will be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am an international student studying in a private college and I am already halfway completing my studies (still have 1 more year). Since i am studying in a private college my husband isnt eligible for an open work permit. If he gets admission to a public college (coz i dont want to study anymore i did lots back home) can i drop my program and apply for an open work permit as a dependent of my husband?
Your insights will be greatly appreciated.
Yes - you can do that. I would very strongly recommend that you wait until the open work permit has been approved before you drop out of school. Don't drop out of school and then apply. Get the open work permit first.

Reactions: chabelita0102

chabelita0102

Sep 30, 2018
Yes - you can do that. I would very strongly recommend that you wait until the open work permit has been approved before you drop out of school. Don't drop out of school and then apply. Get the open work permit first.
Hi scylla, thanks for the info. Just a follow up question, am i not answerable to the immigration in the future that I did not finish my course and dropped it? Suppose i can get canadian class experience and apply for PR in the future, is dropping my program not a problem? Thanks...

aaaca

Apr 17, 2019
Good day! i just would like to ask something. i am an international student here in Vancouver and my student permit will expire on october 2019 and then my work permit will expire earlier which is this coming july 2019. now when is the best possible time i can apply for another work permit. thank you so much and have a good day!