+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from Degree to Diploma for faster PR

seeker12OO

Mar 9, 2020
Hi,
I am currently doing a BA in Communications at Memorial University in NL and wanted to change to a diploma so I can get on a faster path towards getting a PR. The reason is because I feel like I'm wasting my parents money doing a basic arts degree that will take 3-4 years and is not as good as other technical degrees and after 3-4 years it wont even guarantee a decent job. I have been here already for over a year and have completed 2 semester with the third that I am in right now.

So my question is, can I change my program to a diploma and get PGWP and then PR? Will I need a letter from my current employer? After the diploma and PGWP what do I have to do to get PR?

Thank you

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Yes you can switch to a different program.
If you move to a different school you'll need to inform IRCC
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Note the length of PGWP is related to the length of your study program so if you move from a 4 year degree program to a 1 year diploma program, you may only get a 1 year PGWP instead of a 3 year PGWP.

For PR, do your research on Express Entry, specifically the Canadian Experience Class. You'll need minimum of 1 year skilled work experience in order to apply.
Also note, a 4 year degree awards you more points than a 1 year diploma under Express Entry
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am currently doing a BA in Communications at Memorial University in NL and wanted to change to a diploma so I can get on a faster path towards getting a PR. The reason is because I feel like I'm wasting my parents money doing a basic arts degree that will take 3-4 years and is not as good as other technical degrees and after 3-4 years it wont even guarantee a decent job. I have been here already for over a year and have completed 2 semester with the third that I am in right now.

So my question is, can I change my program to a diploma and get PGWP and then PR? Will I need a letter from my current employer? After the diploma and PGWP what do I have to do to get PR?

Thank you
Have you calculated how many points you'll have if you go the diploma route? You'll want to make sure you have at least 470 points if you do this. A degree will let you more points than a diploma.

You can certainly switch to a 1 year diploma but keep in mind that you will only get a 1 year PGWP. With a 1 year PGWP, you may struggle to get one full year of skilled Canadian work experience and end up short on points.

Do the research before you switch and figure out how many points you'll have with each option.