+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching a UK driving license in Ontario.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have a UK license but expired 3 months ago and I am not able to renew the UK license as now they require you to be residence in order to renew the license. Question is: will Ontario replace Full G license with UK license that was expired in 2019 ?
It states that the foreign licence must be valid at the time of exchange.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

How to apply
To switch your licence for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to apply in-person at a DriveTest centre or the ServiceOntario College Park location in downtown Toronto.

You need to:
  • take an eye test
  • bring originals of your accepted identity documents showing your legal name, date of birth and signature
  • bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*
  • bring any original supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience in English or French
  • pay the applicable fees
  • fill out an application form (where you will state how long you have been driving)
*Definition: a valid out-of-province licence

An out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence needs to:
  • be valid
  • display a visible expiry date
  • be written in either English or French. If it is not, you need to get it translated by a certified translator. The translation must be current – dated within six months of when you apply for an Ontario licence
NOTE : A UK photo card has an expiry date that may be different from the licence expiry date.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I have a UK license but expired 3 months ago and I am not able to renew the UK license as now they require you to be residence in order to renew the license. Question is: will Ontario replace Full G license with UK license that was expired in 2019 ?
Unlikely.

It specifically says on the Ontario overseas licence exchange page that the licence must be VALID. As your is out of date, it does not seem to qualify as 'valid'. See here:

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

To be eligible for an exchange or credit towards an Ontario licence, an out-of-province or out-of-country driver’s licence needs to be in English or French, original, and valid.

Probably worth giving it a try, see if they spot it at a Services Ontario Drive Test Centre, nothing to lose I guess!

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Unlikely.

It specifically says on the Ontario overseas licence exchange page that the licence must be VALID. As your is out of date, it does not seem to qualify as 'valid'. See here:

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

To be eligible for an exchange or credit towards an Ontario licence, an out-of-province or out-of-country driver’s licence needs to be in English or French, original, and valid.

Probably worth giving it a try, see if they spot it at a Services Ontario Drive Test Centre, nothing to lose I guess!
There have been experiences on this thread about folks being able to exchange their us licenses which had just expired, it seems like there is some discretionary power involved.

tinyspoon

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Guys, if I move to Ontario with 20 months driving experience ( pass date ) and just not drive for 4 months and then go and exchange it will that be exchangeable as a full g? Or will they say I only had 20 months driving experience as I didn’t drive for 4 months in Canada ( I really don’t want to take the test lol )

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Guys, if I move to Ontario with 20 months driving experience ( pass date ) and just not drive for 4 months and then go and exchange it will that be exchangeable as a full g? Or will they say I only had 20 months driving experience as I didn’t drive for 4 months in Canada ( I really don’t want to take the test lol )
Answered in your other post.

Rngh

Jan 21, 2020
Would you please share if you were able to exchange it?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As per reply #16 a licence needs to be valid to exchange same as you would expect a licence to be valid in order to drive in Ontario or any where else so cannot even drive on an expired UK licence. If you manage to exchange then great but everything indicates not.

cursor18

May 31, 2015
So I was able to replace my UK Driving Licence with an Ontario one straight away. Follow the following steps.
- Locate your nearest Drive Test Center in Ontario.
- Take your valid Plastic driving license, and your Passport with you, don't worry about the abstract or Counterpart or any other paper.
- Join the line at drive test center where tokens are issued,you can get information here too, The rep will take a photocopy of your UK license, Passport (Country of Origin) and return it back to you, they will issue you with Tokken.
- Wait for your turn, when you are called,take your valid Plastic license from UK (Jurisdiction license if it's different from the UK ).
- The rep will ask what you want to do with it, simply tell them you want it replaced to a Full G license, but count your number of years you have driven,it can only be replaced if you have driven 2+ years, again the rep will not ask you for any proof-like insurance or any DVLA document.
- Fill the form in, with the number of years you have held the license, the rep will do their Paperwork.
- Rep will ask you to do a vision/eye test, its a machine like VR goggles, in it, will be numbered,you have to read them aloud to the rep, the rep will ask about which side the lights are blinking, they are basically like the indicators on the car.
- That's it, Pay CAD 90 and the rep will print you a Paper license valid for 90 days until you receive your Plastic Card license,thats your full G license right there.

You earned this streight exchange if you had driven with a full license on the UK Roads, Citizen or not. Don't forget to thank the DVLA and HM Queen for that LoL.
Not sure if you are still on this forum. But which Drive test centre did you visit (wondering if Service Ontario would treat this exchange any differently?)

ukca8614

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vegreville/Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-07-2013 (upfront medical & police check)
Doc's Request.
17-07-2014 fingerprint request
AOR Received.
08-08-2013. SA/AIP 17-07-2014
Med's Request
14-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
LANDED..........
15/6/2015
Not sure if you are still on this forum. But which Drive test centre did you visit (wondering if Service Ontario would treat this exchange any differently?)
You can only switch your licence at Drive Test locations, or the Service Ontario at College Park

Reactions: cursor18

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Update - went to College Park today and got it converted to Ontario license. They gave a temp paper one until the plastic comes in mail in 10 days or so
No additional paperwork was necessary. Took away UK license + Passport + vision test = Ontario license
Hell of a long wait though - took almost 2.5 hours to get it done

Last edited:

ammad88

Apr 16, 2019
There is no other way to renew your license if you're outside of the UK, that doesn't mean that you've lost your licence on the date of its expiry.

There has to be something that can be done in order to exchange the UK driving licence even with an expired photocard license.

Teenkatigda

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Update - went to College Park today and got it converted to Ontario license. They gave a temp paper one until the plastic comes in mail in 10 days or so
No additional paperwork was necessary. Took away UK license + Passport + vision test = Ontario license
Hell of a long wait though - took almost 2.5 hours to get it done
Why do they take away the UK License?