07-Mar-2014
Passport Req..
09-Oct-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
29-Nov-2014
Hi,

I am trying to sponsor my spouse from Sweden. We married on 28-Jan-2014 at Ottawa City Hall.

For the application, she needs a birth certificate, but Sweden doesn't really have those. She has this document that has her personal number and her mother's name, and a few other details (I can't read Swedish), but it doesn't look like such an official document. It doesn't have her name (she wasn't named yet when the document was given to her mom), and it doesn't have any official stamps or signatures. Would this document suffice? What do we have to get from Sweden?

Thanks

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
EricandLinda said:
Hi,

I am trying to sponsor my spouse from Sweden. We married on 28-Jan-2014 at Ottawa City Hall.

For the application, she needs a birth certificate, but Sweden doesn't really have those. She has this document that has her personal number and her mother's name, and a few other details (I can't read Swedish), but it doesn't look like such an official document. It doesn't have her name (she wasn't named yet when the document was given to her mom), and it doesn't have any official stamps or signatures. Would this document suffice? What do we have to get from Sweden?

Thanks
I am Swedish, and could not get a hold of a birth certificate.

I just called Skatteverket, and got a personal identification document, and it shows my name and my parents names plus our addresses, and the birth place.

I spoke with a couple other Swedes, and they did not get a BC either, and they just had this document and they were fine.

Tell her to call skatteverket (the taxation organisation) at + 46 8 564 851 60 if she is abroad, and 0771–567 567 if she is calling from Sweden. Tell her to ask for a personal identification document IN ENGLISH, and they will send her one. I got mine from Sweden to Canada in 3-4 business days.

I'd be happy to communicate with her directly through another channel, or here, if she needs more help.

Graihn

EricandLinda

Star Member
Nov 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London - UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Apr-2014
AOR Received.
05-June-2014
File Transfer...
26-June-2014
Med's Done....
07-Mar-2014
Passport Req..
09-Oct-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
29-Nov-2014
Graihn, thank you so much for your response! It means a lot that there are people out there that can help in this long process. We really appreciate your help.

This document you got, was it notarized (for example, stamped and signed by the Swedish government)?

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
Also, I can see in a previous thread that your Swedish spouse is on a working holiday visa. Is this her first working visa in Canada and will she be younger than 30 by the end of 2015?

If so, when the working holiday visa expires, she can apply for what is called a co-op visa, and the difference between that and the working holiday is that she will be locked in with the company that hires her, unless she resigns. but she can't work elsewhere. this is called a CLOSED work permit. I have done both.

Just call the canadian embassy in Sweden and they will tell you were to find all the forms.

This is, of course, if your spouse want to work while you wait for the PR app to finish. If not, just apply for a visitors extension.

And, just so you know, applying for another work permit while waiting for the PR to come through will not affect your PR application in anyway.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
EricandLinda said:
Graihn, thank you so much for your response! It means a lot that there are people out there that can help in this long process. We really appreciate your help.

This document you got, was it notarized (for example, stamped and signed by the Swedish government)?
It was signed by some woman who works there, the one I spoke to, Karin was her name I believe, but I am sure they have more :)