+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Survival Jobs in Calgary

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
hi guys,, i wish to know that what are the available jobs that can be found after landing in canada as survival jobs..... how is easy is it to find it and what are the usual wages for the same.

Plz Update

shah_calgary

Mar 18, 2012
First you have to be legal to work in Canada.

Then all you do is walk into any Super Store, Zeller, or walk around any Mall.... you will find Ton of Job posting.

Another place is Calgary Airport.

Another place to go for is ...
servicecanada <<<<< google this

Finding Job in Alberta is no problem, But remember it is expensive living in Calgary.

Also Please !!!!
Make sure you spend a few hours on your Resume..... please make sure its clear, understandable and to the point.

RnS

Feb 9, 2012
hi,
me and my husband will be landing in Calgary on Monday. we are both physiotherapists, but will be looking for survival jobs till we get our licences
we'll keep watching this space.
best of luck to all.

cissino

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Dubai - U.A.E
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
11/03/2011
Med's Done....
19/04/2011
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
.23/03/2012.............
Interesting topic

dmajadas

Apr 2, 2012
RnS said:
hi,
me and my husband will be landing in Calgary on Monday. we are both physiotherapists, but will be looking for survival jobs till we get our licences
we'll keep watching this space.
best of luck to all.

dmajadas

Apr 2, 2012
Newbie..you and your partner are from which country? Me and my wife are both physiotherapist as well. I just want to ask something about the process you've had with your application. Thanks!

dmajadas

Apr 2, 2012
RnS..you and your partner are from which country? Me and my wife are both physiotherapist as well. I just want to ask something about the process you've had with your application. Thanks!

thor

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2012
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
a call centre job is an easy survival job, it also helps new immigrants develop their communication skills

Jan 12, 2013
when we say survival job,thus it mean this is suffecient enough to live a simple life? or a couple needs both to get a survival job to survive with dignity?

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Again I want to distinguish two groups of survival jobs: one in big Canadian-(American) businesses (Canadian Tire, Zeller, Walmart, Zehrs, Sobey's, Low's, Home Depot, Staples, etc) and the other in small mom-and-pop ethnic shops, stores, restaurants, etc. If you think it's easy to get a job in the former, you'll soon realize you're wrong. I hardly see any recent immigrants who don't speak proper English or speak with a heavy accent get a job in the former, of course unless it is cleaning restrooms & floors. These are survival jobs per se but if you work full time, you get medical insurance and other benefits. If you're colored and your English is poor, your only chance is probably in the latter (or cleaning jobs in the former or in McDonald's, KFC, etc). The working conditions and pay generally tend to be worse in these mom-and-pop shops if I'm not mistaken. In a city where I live, I hardly see any colored immigrants work in the big businesses (supermarkets and superstores). There are some, but they are kids who were raised in Canada. Of all the big businesses I think Walmart is least discriminatory against minorities and immigrants. Remember there are lots of unemployed Canadian kids who can't get the kind of survival jobs in the former. For some strange reason some people here in this forum like to say there are plenty of survival jobs in Canada. Wrong! They are probably talking about the worst kind of survival jobs in mom-and-pop shops.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
pinoy na bitoy said:
when we say survival job,thus it mean this is suffecient enough to live a simple life? or a couple needs both to get a survival job to survive with dignity?
I live in Calgary with my Canadian husband. I'm waiting my PR as his wife and can't work. My husband earns average wage (literally, his is right on average for the numbers published last year almost to the penny).

We struggle.

Part is because of some silly choices cough we cough made. ::) Yes, we can pay our rent (basement suite, 700 square feet), we have food to eat (always buy on sales), but we literally have no extra money to go on any trips, go out for dinner occasionally, or even go see a movie together. Our outtings are the dollar store and grocery. We don't spend money on clothes, shoes, or anything fancy. I even buy my lotion at the discount store. My husband's birthday is coming up and I don't have two pennies to rub together to get him a gift.

I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little) but compared to all my Canadian friends, we're poor :( It will get better when I get my PR visa :)

Btw, I offer to help write, edit, and review resumes for anyone coming to Calgary. PM me and I will get back to you. Sometimes it takes me a little while because I also do university. (I'm not too good at cover letters, but I will always review them for grammar and spelling.) My mother and grandmother were English teachers. I have very good grammar and writing skills :)

mahmer

Mar 11, 2013
hi everyone i am pakistani and new to this forum .. i dont knw how to PM to someone... My wife is PR in Canada .. i have applied my case ... i am network Engineer once got interview call from calgary but i could do well in that interview as per interviewer i will be in canada with in 2 months .... i need some1 to review my CV and cover letter so that i can get more interview calls as my Case under process and also Received CSQ letter... My wife is pregnant i need to be there in canada before my processing time..... can any body help me...

with lot of thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mahmer said:
hi everyone i am pakistani and new to this forum .. i dont knw how to PM to someone...
New members aren't allowed to use the PM feature.

Deedeedar

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Med's Request
28-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
LANDED..........
30-04-2014
Hopefully I will get an Open Work Permit this month or so.

But seems CIC website is still working on applications that they received on 8Oct'12 still :(

Mine was send on 6Dec'12...4 days to go (pray pray and pray)