+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrender Indian Passport & OCI - Toronto/Brampton

djrobinn

Nov 9, 2022
Add $6.00 for the status updates. You will get a call when your consulate starts working on your application and another call when your application is dispatched.
You think expecting it in 2-3 weeks is realistic or far too optimistic?

Last edited:

whimsical

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience, @djrobinn .

I ended up using BLS Postal Pick-up/Drop-off service. Total cost of this service is $64.00. If I was to drive to Brampton location, it would have been an hour drive each way. So worth spending this amount for both pick-up and drop-off service.

Total cost for Surrendering Indian Passport and Citizenship - $221.48

Breakdown is as follows -
  1. Application fee - $129.40 (including BLS fee, etc.)
  2. Draft from TD for application fee - $9.95 (it used to be $5-6 LOL)
  3. Postal pick-up, drop-off - $64.00
  4. Photograph and photocopies - $18.13
Application pick-up by Purolator on 07-Nov and in-process at HGI/CGI as of today (15-Nov).
Thanks for the info.

For Postal Applications what would be the exact Demand Draft that I need to take? I m a single applicant. Postal pick-up, drop-off for me shows $61.00

Which means should I take a Demand Draft in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc. for $190.40 ($129.40 + $61.00) ?

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Thanks for the info.

For Postal Applications what would be the exact Demand Draft that I need to take? I m a single applicant. Postal pick-up, drop-off for me shows $61.00

Which means should I take a Demand Draft in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc. for $190.40 ($129.40 + $61.00) ?
Hi @whimsical ,

No, just include the demand draft for Surrender application i.e., $129.40

You can pay and schedule for application pick-up/drop-off using the following link.
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/postalbls.php

No need to send BLS the payment for postal pick-up/drop-off service.

Reactions: whimsical

djrobinn

Nov 9, 2022
Does anybody know if the Surrender Application can be tracked online using the "Passport" option on the BLS website? I've tried a few times but not having any luck. Applied in-person on November 15, haven't heard anything.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience, @djrobinn .

I ended up using BLS Postal Pick-up/Drop-off service. Total cost of this service is $64.00. If I was to drive to Brampton location, it would have been an hour drive each way. So worth spending this amount for both pick-up and drop-off service.

Total cost for Surrendering Indian Passport and Citizenship - $221.48

Breakdown is as follows -
  1. Application fee - $129.40 (including BLS fee, etc.)
  2. Draft from TD for application fee - $9.95 (it used to be $5-6 LOL)
  3. Postal pick-up, drop-off - $64.00
  4. Photograph and photocopies - $18.13
Application pick-up by Purolator on 07-Nov and in-process at HGI/CGI as of today (15-Nov).
Hi, did you have to send your original Canadian passport and Citizenship certificate? Thank you!

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Hi, did you have to send your original Canadian passport and Citizenship certificate? Thank you!
No, I did not have my Canadian Passport at the time of surrender application submission. So, I just send an attestation stating that I do not have a Canadian/Foreign Passport for this application. Make sure you sign and date it.

For Citizenship Certificate, I sent a self attested photocopy of my original certificate (back and front).

Reactions: alexross

The F7

Jul 16, 2022
Yes, be fully prepared when dealing with BLS.
They checked my original Canadian Passport when I submitted my surrender application.
Do they hold Canadian passport until we get the surrender certificate or do they just check and give us back right away also can i apply for visa same time while applying for the surrender certificate? thanks.

canadalove85

Aug 4, 2017
Do they hold Canadian passport until we get the surrender certificate or do they just check and give us back right away also can i apply for visa same time while applying for the surrender certificate? thanks.
They check and give back the Canadian passport . No idea about visa application

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
You can do both at the same time. They'll verify your Canadian passport for surrender and then keep it for visa stamping if you are applying at the same time.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Please be aware the BLS asks for separate appointments for Surrender and Visa application submission

djrobinn

Nov 9, 2022
My experience of Tuesday, November 15, 2022 for Indian Passport Surrender at BLS Brampton location

Just wanted to put pen to paper before I forget about it.

Went to #60 first but the security guard told me the lineup at #40 will be shorter and quicker. Left and went to #60 at around 8:40, there must've been at least a hundred people in line in front of me. I was prepared with my parka on and coffee in hand. Line moved quicker than expected and I finally entered around 11:30, so 3ish hours and it was pretty chilly so my toes were quite cold.

Staff Gurpreet Kaur Lubana, counter #9 was quite helpful, accepted my (wife's) application and told me that the picture isn't upto spec. Told me that I could pay now get a hard copy of a new picture done beside her counter. Called my wife, asked her to take a selfie with both ears showing and send to me, fixed it up and sent it to their email for printing, 10 minutes later picture was printed. Gave Gurpreet the picture and was done with it around 12.

Hoping this would help someone. I believe today was the last day of walk-ins. Starting tomorrow, it is by appointment only. Yes, there are no appointments currently available but there will be, she said.

Fees paid were $181.10

Passport fee: 119.00
ICWF charge: 3.00
Total (A): 122.00
BLS Service Fee: 6.55
Courier Fee: 26.55 (there was no choice to pickup, courier was assumed and charged for)
Photograph: 13.27
GST Total: 6.03
Debit Card Fee: 0.70
Total (B): 53.10
Grand Total A+B: 175.10 (but I was charged $181.10, not sure why... oh well!)

I'm just glad it was done in one shot. People I was chatting in line with had to come back for one thing or another.

Wonder how long this would take. Waiting for this now and then will need to send OCI application.
An update that Purolator just delivered the passport with surrender certificate attached today, December 8, 2022. I applied in-person on November 15, 2022. Hope this information helps someone.

Reactions: abbas.pasha