+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surname and given name

Liyana

Apr 27, 2018
Hi
While submitting the express entry application I entered my given name as Liyana and surname as Nawkar. However my passport shows my given name as Liyana Nawkar and there's no surname. I received the ITA in the last draw held on April 25th. And now when I'm trying to change the name according to the CIC guidelines which suggest that I enter the first name as X and the last name as Liyana Nawkar. Has anyone had a similar issue. It would be great if u could please suggest what steps you took to rectify this. Thanks.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
In my case, in my passport page my entire name is in the given name section and the surname is blank.

In my EE profile, I've entered my entire name(including middle name) in the "Last Name" and left the "First Name" blank because usually last name is mandatory.

Liyana

Apr 27, 2018
In my case, in my passport page my entire name is in the given name section and the surname is blank.

In my EE profile, I've entered my entire name(including middle name) in the "Last Name" and left the "First Name" blank because usually last name is mandatory.
Thanks for your response but that's where the problem is ...instead of writing my full name in the first name or last name section I split it and wrote it in the first and last name sections so now I don't know how to rectify that.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for your response but that's where the problem is ...instead of writing my full name in the first name or last name section I split it and wrote it in the first and last name sections so now I don't know how to rectify that.
There doesn't seem to be a way of updating the first name and last name after submitting the profile, it's not highlighted. Maybe you can explain this
discrepancy in the LOE?

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi
While submitting the express entry application I entered my given name as Liyana and surname as Nawkar. However my passport shows my given name as Liyana Nawkar and there's no surname. I received the ITA in the last draw held on April 25th. And now when I'm trying to change the name according to the CIC guidelines which suggest that I enter the first name as X and the last name as Liyana Nawkar. Has anyone had a similar issue. It would be great if u could please suggest what steps you took to rectify this. Thanks.
There will be a section Letter Of Explanation where you can explain this.

Please do some homework at your end.
Try to get some affidavit which says you are the same person as mentioned in the passport. Maybe you can try getting one Name change affidavit with first and Last name. Because I am sure you will face issue for your other documents where you will have first (given name) and last name like degree certificate, bank statement etc... Keep thosw documents in mind too.

stn0213

Jul 28, 2018
Hi
Can you please share the link of the CIC guidelines that you mentioned above?