+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting a spouse - changes to the rules?

pxp

Jan 12, 2017
Hello. I'm a Canadian and I married a US Citizen 5 years ago. When we married we were sorting out how to sponsor him in, but came across trouble with the support requirements. He has no children and we have no other dependents. I don't make enough money to be able to be the sole provider for the both of us. We thought that due to my financial limitations, we weren't going to get approved.

Looking over the process tonight, I see that you only need to provide banking or tax information if there is a child involved.

Did we make a mistake, and not need to provide banking or tax information back then or have the rules changed in the last few years? If we are in the same financial situation, do we stand a chance of being approved?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
pxp said:
Hello. I'm a Canadian and I married a US Citizen 5 years ago. When we married we were sorting out how to sponsor him in, but came across trouble with the support requirements. He has no children and we have no other dependents. I don't make enough money to be able to be the sole provider for the both of us. We thought that due to my financial limitations, we weren't going to get approved.

Looking over the process tonight, I see that you only need to provide banking or tax information if there is a child involved.

Did we make a mistake, and not need to provide banking or tax information back then or have the rules changed in the last few years? If we are in the same financial situation, do we stand a chance of being approved?
There is no minimum financial requirement to sponsor a spouse or common-law partner OR a dependant child.
There are some things that bar you from sponsorship but they are clearly documented in the application guides, such as being on welfare or an undischarged bankrupt. You may have waited needlessly.

Caroliner1978

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For at least the last 3 years (the time my husband and I have been looking at this process), if there are no dependent children involved who have dependent children of their own, there is no minimum income requirement for the sponsor. You do need to provide tax information, but all they are really looking for on the sponsor's most recent tax assessment is that you are not on Welfare or Employment Insurance. There are people who sponsor with no income at all--if they are living with parents and going to school or something like that, and their parents are willing to support them--they simply explain this, and how they expect to support themselves and the applicant. Hell, if you won the lottery or got a big inheritance, I suppose that could even be a plausible explanation for how you would support the two of you on little or no income. Even with the sponsor having a low or no income, they surely must take into account that the applicant will likely be working once he has his PR and has landed after an outland application (or with an inland application for an applicant who also applies for an Open Work Permit, once he gets that within 4 months).

But really, all they are they are trying to ensure, is that if the applicant comes here and doesn't work, the government won't be having to pay for him. If that does happen (ie... your husband goes on Welfare or EI within the first 2 years that he's here, YOU have to pay all of it back).

Listen--I work at bloody Tim Horton's, and I'm sponsoring my husband. I'm not worried about them thinking I don't make enough money to support us both. Out of the last 2.5 years, my husband has been here with me (not working) for all but 6 months of it, and I haven't been on Welfare or EI... Money is tight, but we manage. And once he gets his OWP, we will have 2 household incomes and everything will be A-OK. That being said, when we sent in the application to extend his visitor status, I was paranoid they would think I didn't make enough to let him stay here with me for longer, so I sent copies of a year's worth of paystubs and made an incredibly detailed household budget and sent that along too, pretty much saying "See? He's been here already for 6 months a couple of times, and this is how we do it--it's worked before." The immigration officer probably looked at it and thought I was a nutcase lol, but I didn't want to take any chances and have to be separated again--it may have been overkill, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Anyway, I have this feeling you have the Canadian process rules mixed up with the American ones. Because we looked into both options, and in the States, there is a minimum income for the sponsor--I think it's about $22,000 a year right now, if the sponsor has no dependents and is only sponsoring one person. Plus in the States, I believe the applicant is not allowed to work for the first year or two of them being in the US--so that sort of explains why the sponsor would need a minimum income to support 2 people.

To summarize my ramblings: There is no minimum income requirement for the sponsor, if there are no dependents involved who have dependents of their own.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
EI is not considered as a block to sponsorship, nor does it need to be repaid during the period of sponsorship undertaking.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
pxp said:

You only need to show an income, or explain how you will avoid social assistance. There is no low-income assessment on spousal or family class applications, unless it is Parent/Grandparent or invludes dependants of dependants.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Caroliner1978 said:
Okay... I thought it was and did... But hey--Even better! ;D
The IRCC web site defines as such.
Social assistance
Social assistance means any benefit, whether money, goods or services, provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance. It includes assistance for food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care.
EI is outside this definition.