+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa refused because of income

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
We applied for my mother-in-law's supervisa and got rejected today.

Reason:
Based on evidence on file, your host has not demonstrated meeting the minimum income required for their household.
Q1: In terms of income, Which resource should we actually refer to, this or this?
If it's the first link, it doesn't include "Total number of people you’ll be responsible for 1". If it's the second link my wife might not have met the requirements, but I sure did alone.

Q2: Do they not consider my income as the husband since they mentioned household?
Q3: Since the household is considered, can we reinclude the income of the rest of the household which is my side of the family?
Q4: Can we make an appeal about this decision?
Q4: Should we apply for a visitor visa instead?

My wife's maternity leave will end in a couple of months, and we need her to possibly take care of our daughter. I know that's not a reason to bring up to CIC but :/

Any recommendations for our next steps would be much appreciated,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We applied for my mother-in-law's supervisa and got rejected today.

Reason:

Q1: In terms of income, Which resource should we actually refer to, this or this?
If it's the first link, it doesn't include "Total number of people you’ll be responsible for 1". If it's the second link my wife might not have met the requirements, but I sure did alone.

Q2: Do they not consider my income as the husband since they mentioned household?
Q3: Since the household is considered, can we reinclude the income of the rest of the household which is my side of the family?
Q4: Can we make an appeal about this decision?
Q4: Should we apply for a visitor visa instead?

My wife's maternity leave will end in a couple of months, and we need her to possibly take care of our daughter. I know that's not a reason to bring up to CIC but :/

Any recommendations for our next steps would be much appreciated,
- Look at line 150 of your tax return. That's what's considered for income.
- They will only consider your income if you were included as a co-signer in the application. Did you co-sign the application? Or was it only your wife?
- I don't understand this question. Again, your income is only included if you co-sign the application.
- You can appeal, but I don't see the point. You didn't show enough income to meet the requirements. You need to reapply.
- You can apply for a TRV or you can reapply for the super visa, this time making sure you can show enough income to meet LICO

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Hi Scylla,

Thank you for your response, as always.

For my Q1, I was referring to this link and this.
The first link only mentioned "Total number of people you’ll be responsible for 2" and no mention of "Total number of people you’ll be responsible for 1", which is our case.

Look at line 150 of your tax return. That's what's considered for income.
For 2020, I have 35k+ and my wife has 24k+
For 2019, I have 36k+ and my wife has 8k+
P.S. We only submitted T4s for 2020 as per their communication:
T4/NOA: A copy of the Canadian Revenue Agency T4 form or a completed Notice of Assessment.
o Please provide the latest copy of the hosts' T4 or NOA.

They will only consider your income if you were included as a co-signer in the application. Did you co-sign the application? Or was it only your wife?
To my understanding, we did co-sign. Invitation letter I signed, we attached my IDs, my T4s, and my NOAs.
I don't think there's any part of the forms where I can co-sign (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Followup question:
By having an existing application, would that by any chance help speed up the process if we reapply given the processing time are now over 300+ days?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How many people are you responsible for? This includes you, your spouse, any children and your parents. There is no expedited process. You reapply.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
How many people are you responsible for? This includes you, your spouse, any children and your parents. There is no expedited process. You reapply.
Hey, Me my wife, and a daughter are here in Canada. We are sponsoring my wife's mom. So does that mean we are responsible for 2 people?

My parents are here (same household) both are Citizens and working. 2 Siblings, both are working as well.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, Me my wife, and a daughter are here in Canada. We are sponsoring my wife's mom. So does that mean we are responsible for 2 people?

My parents are here (same household) both are Citizens and working. 2 Siblings, both are working as well.
So for your wife’s mom, you are responsible for 4 people because you include everyone in your household.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
So for your wife’s mom, you are responsible for 4 people because you include everyone in your household.
I see. By 4 people you mean me, my wife, daughter *and her mom right?

In that case, we may have been hit by our 2019 income. So it would make more sense to reapply for TRV then since only our 2020 income met LICO?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, 4 people. If you don’t have the income then apply for a TRV. You can’t expedite the process so you are looking at several months.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Yes, 4 people. If you don’t have the income then apply for a TRV. You can’t expedite the process so you are looking at several months.
Thank you for your inputs. Looking at our income, how long should we indicate that she will be staying which would sound reasonable given the Covid situation, etc.

I invited my girlfriend for TRV back in 2008 (now my wife) for just 2 weeks or so in our invitation letter then extended. But 2 weeks doesn't sound reasonable in my mother-in-law's case since there are days to spend for quarantine etc.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your inputs. Looking at our income, how long should we indicate that she will be staying which would sound reasonable given the Covid situation, etc.

I invited my girlfriend for TRV back in 2008 (now my wife) for just 2 weeks or so in our invitation letter then extended. But 2 weeks doesn't sound reasonable in my mother-in-law's case since there are days to spend for quarantine etc.
4 weeks. Enough time to quarantine and then visit. If you are going the TRV path, then your mother-in-law has to show that she can afford to visit. So she needs to show her bank acccounts, job, ties to country.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Uh oh, she's a widowed housewife. Can't we just mention in our letter confirming that we will provide the fare expenses, accommodations, and other expenses in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Uh oh, she's a widowed housewife. Can't we just mention in our letter confirming that we will provide the fare expenses, accommodations, and other expenses in Canada?
You can but it weakens her application because then she can’t afford any of her visit. For the visa, she has to provide her bank statements to show that she can afford a trip and show strong ties to her country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that if she is approved she will need to do her 3 day quarantine and the other 11 days he will need to either stay in a separate basement suite away from the whole family or airbnb/hotel. Pregnant women and infant are considered high risk for covid and she also can't quarantine in a home with a large number of extended family.

Once you file your 2020 taxes and they are processed you likely have a better chance at a supervisa vs TRV.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
You can but it weakens her application because then she can’t afford any of her visit. For the visa, she has to provide her bank statements to show that she can afford a trip and show strong ties to her country.
Thank you. We'll take those into considerations.

Would add that if she is approved she will need to do her 3 day quarantine and the other 11 days he will need to either stay in a separate basement suite away from the whole family or airbnb/hotel. Pregnant women and infant are considered high risk for covid and she also can't quarantine in a home with a large number of extended family.

Once you file your 2020 taxes and they are processed you likely have a better chance at a supervisa vs TRV.
We did file the 2020 taxes already.

The request for T4/NOA came on February 3
We've submitted the T4s on Feb 3. but mistakenly submitted the 2019 ones as we don't have the 2020 by that time. We also submitted these T4s together with the application package.
We filed our tax return on Feb 26
We uploaded our 2020 T4 on March 18

It looks like our 2019 income wasn't enough if 2-3 years of income is really being considered, as we only have 44kish in 2019.
Will GCMS notes make us better understand more what happened in the case?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. We'll take those into considerations.

We did file the 2020 taxes already.

The request for T4/NOA came on February 3
We've submitted the T4s on Feb 3. but mistakenly submitted the 2019 ones as we don't have the 2020 by that time. We also submitted these T4s together with the application package.
We filed our tax return on Feb 26
We uploaded our 2020 T4 on March 18

It looks like our 2019 income wasn't enough if 2-3 years of income is really being considered, as we only have 44kish in 2019.
Does a GCMS make us understand more what happened in the case?
The income of 3 years is for parental sponsorship. You are not sponsoring. You are supporting a supervisa. If you have enough income, then go for the supervisa again for 4 people. As mentioned, the application starts over.