+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

super visa or visitor for a parent?

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Hi,
I'd like to apply for a Visa for my Dad.
He has two jobs back home, so his visits won't last longer than 1-2 months in the start. In several years, he will retire. I'd like him to use the benefit of Super Visa at that time and stay for a year during his visit.
I wouldn't like him to have to go through Visa application process twice in less than 10 years. Is it okay to ask for Super Visa at this point in time?
I explained the above in my invitation letter.

Also, how do I handle the insurance part? It looks like he needs to show an insurance policy valid for 1 year at the moment of applying, but we still don't know 1) his visit dates and 2) we expect the 1st visit will last for about 2 months.

I am a permanent resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
He has two jobs back home, so his visits won't last longer than 1-2 months in the start. In several years, he will retire. I'd like him to use the benefit of Super Visa at that time and stay for a year during his visit.
I wouldn't like him to have to go through Visa application process twice in less than 10 years. Is it okay to ask for Super Visa at this point in time?

Also, how do I handle the insurance part? It looks like he needs to show an insurance policy valid for 1 year at the moment of applying, but we still don't know 1) his visit dates and 2) we expect the 1st visit will last for about 2 months.

IRCC determines whether you get to apply for a supervisa or a TRV. If you indicate he will be staying less than 6 months IRCC often selects TRV. You may want to specify that he would like to be considered for a supervisa because he will be retiring in x years and will plan on visiting over 6 months at a time then. You can apply for supervisa insurance for a year and companies usually refund the amount of months that go unused. You should read the fine print of the policies.

Reactions: SheenaVanPunk

singhdeepinder

Jun 7, 2018
Hi,

What did you do in this case? I am also in the same boat

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
If your dad has strong ties to his home country and has good savings/liquid funds, he might get visitor visa. But Super Visa is always safer if you meet LICO requirements and have good funds to support his stay here....Also if you decide to go with Super Visa application make sure you do not put in time frame as 5 months or 7 months as the VO might give Visitor visa based on that. Put in stay for minimum 1 year and then he can return earlier if he wants to.