+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Insurance

banesai7

Sep 15, 2013
I am a super visa holder and have visited Canada last year on super visa. I purchased 1 year's Canadian insurance. I intend to visit Canada again this year in summer vacation. My question is:
1. Do I need to purchase one year's Canadian insurance once again?
2. Will it be OK if I purchase travel and health insurance for the days I intend to stay in Canada? or
3. Can I travel without any travel and health insurance? Will the immigration department in Canada object to travelling without insurance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since having medical insurance is a condition of the super visa, the immigration officer may verify that you do in fact have insurance when you enter Canada. And if you don't - this could create challenges on entry (i.e. you could be denied entry for failing to meet the conditions of the visa). So make sure you have insurance and carry the proof with you.

Doitforlove

Jan 27, 2014
I'd like to inquire about this insurance since you have experience with it.

I'm preparing to give birth in another couple of months and would love to have my mother in law visit for a few months. Things are still up in the air but I want to be prepared should we move fwd.

My husband just got his benefits at work so I wonder if he could simply add his mom, being that she will live with us (if that's even possible) OR must we purchase a insurance for all completely separately? What is typically the cost for this type of insurance? And what if we do purchase it but she doesn't get approved?

I'm a bit confused about this requirement.

Thanks so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Doitforlove said:
My husband just got his benefits at work so I wonder if he could simply add his mom, being that she will live with us (if that's even possible) OR must we purchase a insurance for all completely separately? What is typically the cost for this type of insurance? And what if we do purchase it but she doesn't get approved?
I don't know what the cost of insurance may be for your mother in law. You should contact an insurer for a quote.

Extremely unlikely your mother in law can be added to your husband's workplace benefits for the following reasons: (1) Parents are almost never classified as dependents for this purpose; (2) coverage by workplace benefits depends on having provincial health care coverage first which your mother in law doesn't have and isn't eligible for as a visitor; (3) your mother in law is not living with you, she is just visiting (she is not allowed to "live" in Canada as a visitor).

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doitforlove said:
I'd like to inquire about this insurance since you have experience with it.

I'm preparing to give birth in another couple of months and would love to have my mother in law visit for a few months. Things are still up in the air but I want to be prepared should we move fwd.

I'm a bit confused about this requirement.

Thanks so much!
Unfortunately, you cannot add your mom-in-law to your husband's insurance, because the extended health benefits are only for the holder's of the provincial health coverage and also you can only add immediate family members on these plans (spouse and children.)
You need to get her a Super Visa insurance, which is also called "Visitors to Canada" insurance. The cost depends on her age and if she has any pre-existing conditions.
Our company works with all the Canadian insurance companies, so if you need any information we will be happy to help. You can visit our website or give us a call at 1-877-211-4301.

Last edited:

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Hi Bansai,

If you are travelling on the super visa and entering Canada, you will be required to have a one year 'visitors to Canada' insurance policy for a minimum of $100,000 from a Canadian company. They may or may not check for the proof of insurance, but it is quite likely that they will check, and it would be risky to show up without the required insurance.

If you are already in Canada on the super visa, and the first year of insurance is running out, you may buy insurance for the remaining time that you will be staying in Canada (ie. 2, or 3, or 10 or 12 months, etc). You do not need to renew insurance with the same company, and in some cases you either won't be able to (if you had a large claim) or you won't want to (if that company has now changed their prices/coverage). To see an up to date (Feb 2014) list of available rates you can visit:
https://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/super-visa-insurance-bestquote-rates

BestQuote offers all the policies that other online services do, and a few more. They're also quite helpful in helping you choose a good policy if this is the first time to purchase one, or if you need help combing through the details.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
In my experience if the person already has Super Visa and planning on visiting again, you don't need to have a proof of 1 year insurance (You only need it when you first apply). So basically you can just apply for coverage for the duration of your stay. The coverage amount can differ as well, and it can be less than $100,000 even though it is not recommended.

For more information and live chat assistance refer to:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/supervisamedicalinsurance/>Super Visa Insurance Options</a>

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Hello.
I do not know what to do about buying medical insurance !!
I am applying for super visa and i have to buy insurance for my parents and attache the proof to document before submitting.
The insurance effective date should be the same as the date of entry.In my invitation lettre I chose March10,2019 as a date of entry but we never know when Cic give the visa! I do not know how long does it take to have my parents here after getting the visa!!!
Unfortunately the insurance companies told me effective date will be the date that I purchase the insurance.

It means i have to pay for the insurance while my parents they are not here!!

What should I do to have insurance without wasting money?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hello.
I do not know what to do about buying medical insurance !!
I am applying for super visa and i have to buy insurance for my parents and attache the proof to document before submitting.
The insurance effective date should be the same as the date of entry.In my invitation lettre I chose March10,2019 as a date of entry but we never know when Cic give the visa! I do not know how long does it take to have my parents here after getting the visa!!!
Unfortunately the insurance companies told me effective date will be the date that I purchase the insurance.

It means i have to pay for the insurance while my parents they are not here!!

What should I do to have insurance without wasting money?

I was able to change the effective date with my provider after the fact.
I picked the start date to be 6 weeks after I applied for a super visa, but then I got it changed for when their actual flight was landing.