+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa holder - 100k medical insurance require when re-entry ?

kpha

May 29, 2017
I've been Googling for an answer to this, but so far no luck.

My mother already has a super visa. We got it 3 years ago. She plans to visit Canada in 1 week and stay for 2 months.

When she enters Canada next week with her current supervisa, does she need to carry a 100k-Canadian-Medical-Insurance policy?

Thank you.

Last edited:

kpha

May 29, 2017
Thank you Bryanna. Do you by chance have an official link that state "Each entry" ?

Does it require to be purchased from a Canadian Insurance company ? I checked and other companies (Such as AIG Global) from other countries sell much higher coverages with lower cost.

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
Thank you for sharing.
During the RE-entries, should the traveler buy his/her insurance (minimum) for a year? Because, I read in the forum that the immigration officer decides how long the traveler could stay in Canada, irrespective of the intention of the traveler.
My in-law is planning to fly re-enter next month, and I am not sure if I should buy the 100k-Canadian-Medical-Insurance for just 6 months or a year.
Please advise.

sribrosrs

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
The policy is purchased for a year but if the person leaves Canada in a few months, you can get a refund for the remainder of the one year term. Proof of exit is needed.

Reactions: canuck78

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
The policy is purchased for a year but if the person leaves Canada in a few months, you can get a refund for the remainder of the one year term. Proof of exit is needed.
Thank you.

Yes; I am going to purchase the 1 year insurance for 100K from a Canadian insurance provider. However, for re-entering super visa holders, is there any specific timeframe granted for their stay (i.e., 1 year or 1 y and 6 mo or 2 years)? Would they question the traveler to determine how long the stay to grant at the port of entry? I read in multiple instances that the immigration officer is the one who determines and is solely depends on who is going to be stamping the entry permit at port. Any thoughts?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you.

Yes; I am going to purchase the 1 year insurance for 100K from a Canadian insurance provider. However, for re-entering super visa holders, is there any specific timeframe granted for their stay (i.e., 1 year or 1 y and 6 mo or 2 years)? Would they question the traveler to determine how long the stay to grant at the port of entry? I read in multiple instances that the immigration officer is the one who determines and is solely depends on who is going to be stamping the entry permit at port. Any thoughts?
For a supervisa you should be granted 2 years. If someone has spent a long period of time in Canada and has only left Canada for a short period of time they could be granted less than 2 years. Supervisa remains a visitor visa so if a parent has spent years in Canada and only returned home to their home country for a short trip there can be concerns that the parent has moved to Canada which is not possible on a supervisa.

Reactions: uma1982suthan

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
For a supervisa you should be granted 2 years. If someone has spent a long period of time in Canada and has only left Canada for a short period of time they could be granted less than 2 years. Supervisa remains a visitor visa so if a parent has spent years in Canada and only returned home to their home country for a short trip there can be concerns that the parent has moved to Canada which is not possible on a supervisa.
She entered Canada on Dec 2018 with her supervise for the first time (with the intention to stay at least a year); but, since her mother passed away, she flew back in 4 months (March 2019). Now she is going to fly in Nov 2021. Would she be granted 2 years/ it still be dependent on the officer who will be at the border?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She entered Canada on Dec 2018 with her supervise for the first time (with the intention to stay at least a year); but, since her mother passed away, she flew back in 4 months (March 2019). Now she is going to fly in Nov 2021. Would she be granted 2 years/ it still be dependent on the officer who will be at the border?
Yes she should be granted 2 years

Reactions: uma1982suthan