+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Super Delay) Work Permit Extension (inland) Timelines Here...

harvai2224

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/post-graduate-work-permit-processing-time-pgwp.481328/page-634

One of the member got Post graduate work permit approved today. he applied on 28th May 2020.Not sure what is happening with our applications
Could be that he belongs to frontline profession. When I called IRCC, the agent specifically asked if my job comes under frontline, if so then those applications will be prioritzed

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I have a couple of questions, very important to me because of my dire situation, and, I would like your input and advice on it.

My PGWP expiring on Jan 30 and I am currently back home with my spouse and we are expecting a due week of the end of January.
My CEC application is in progress [ likely won't be finalized until we add our baby, as we will opt out for X-rays]

Now:

1] When you say Work permit extension, Do you guys mean BOWP? If not. Does the PGWP holder have an option to apply some other kind of work extension being outside of Canada? as BOWP requires you to be In Canada.
If not:
2] Then I have to travel to Canada (which I wanted to avoid until our baby birth) and apply for BOWP. As we can apply only at 4 months or less validity [ so I can apply October 1st, 2020 or after], is there any way I can get my BOWP by mid-Jan 2020 So I can travel and be with my spouse at that moment?
will the MLA letter help to expedite it?

Goal!

--I must be with my wife on the due date.
--I am doing all this so I don't spend any time outside Canada without any valid status ( until my CEC application is approved, which will happen after we add our newborn in application). So during that time of transition from PGWP expiry and PR approval, I should have BOWP so I have the option to return back.

I know its a bit complicated situation, let me know if you have any question, and I will much appreciate any feedback or advice, Thank you: )

harvai2224

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I have a couple of questions, very important to me because of my dire situation, and, I would like your input and advice on it.

My PGWP expiring on Jan 30 and I am currently back home with my spouse and we are expecting a due week of the end of January.
My CEC application is in progress [ likely won't be finalized until we add our baby, as we will opt out for X-rays]

Now:

1] When you say Work permit extension, Do you guys mean BOWP? If not. Does the PGWP holder have an option to apply some other kind of work extension being outside of Canada? as BOWP requires you to be In Canada.
If not:
2] Then I have to travel to Canada (which I wanted to avoid until our baby birth) and apply for BOWP. As we can apply only at 4 months or less validity [ so I can apply October 1st, 2020 or after], is there any way I can get my BOWP by mid-Jan 2020 So I can travel and be with my spouse at that moment?
will the MLA letter help to expedite it?

Goal!

--I must be with my wife on the due date.
--I am doing all this so I don't spend any time outside Canada without any valid status ( until my CEC application is approved, which will happen after we add our newborn in application). So during that time of transition from PGWP expiry and PR approval, I should have BOWP so I have the option to return back.

I know its a bit complicated situation, let me know if you have any question, and I will much appreciate any feedback or advice, Thank you: )
Unless they start working at regular pace, I don't see BOWP(which is the extension for PGWP) being processed in under 4 months. Including myself there are couple others in this group who have applied in March and are still waiting for it.

Side Note:
1. You have to initiate TRV process once you receive the BOWP. That's another 3-4 months.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
Unless they start working at regular pace, I don't see BOWP(which is the extension for PGWP) being processed in under 4 months. Including myself there are couple others in this group who have applied in March and are still waiting for it.

Side Note:
1. You have to initiate TRV process once you receive the BOWP. That's another 3-4 months.
Wait what... would not at the approval of BOWP they will send a passport request where I will send them passport and it shud be returned in a week -3 weeks ?

Thank you so much for you reply!!

harvai2224

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Wait what... would not at the approval of BOWP they will send a passport request where I will send them passport and it shud be returned in a week -3 weeks ?

Thank you so much for you reply!!
It depends. If we are applying from Canada, it's a two stage process. If applying from India, it's a combined process. The processing times is ~ 6 months in India.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
It depends. If we are applying from Canada, it's a two stage process. If applying from India, it's a combined process. The processing times is ~ 6 months in India.
BUt wait, We cant apply from outside Canada for BOWP. We must be in Canada to apply for BOWp?

Also BOWP is the only option that PGWP holder can apply for? or is there any other kind of work permit extensions as well?