+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestions for traveling back to home country as refugee

banjobanjo

May 9, 2017
Greetings,
I received my refugee status last year and I'm in the middle of PR application. Last night I got called from home saying that my mother is hospitalized. I'm her only child left and she's 76. Sadly, she doesn't know about my status in Canada. So I'm planning to go back home for short amount of time but I don't know how nor if it's possible for me to go back without endangering my refugee status. I never renew my passport and IRB still has them. I haven't applied for refugee travel document. No criminal record or any political or mafia or yakuza affiliation. Just ordinary guy who love his mom so much.

I already booked an appointment with community legal service and I'll meet them in tomorrow and hopefully, I'll find a good lawyer.

Any suggestion for me?

Thanks a lot

#2 hypothetically speaking, lets say I give up my refugee status and I go back home with my passport, the problem is my passport is expired, would I be able to go back home then?

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As a refugee, I wouldn't. It's risky and the consequences are well know. I have seen cases on CANLii where refugees have managed to overcome revocation for going home for emergencies, but its still risky and not gauranteed. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Lots of tough choices in life.

banjobanjo

May 9, 2017
Thank you for the reply. Yes. Hard choices bu

As a refugee, I wouldn't. It's risky and the consequences are well know. I have seen cases on CANLii where refugees have managed to overcome revocation for going home for emergencies, but its still risky and not gauranteed. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Lots of tough choices in life.

tingu1980

Apr 29, 2017
It's really tough situation, My personal choice would be seeing our mom first because I have seen many people here that for making our career we are staying very very far from our families , I think your mom needs you more than you need your PR or Canadian Citizenship here. It's your choice I just shared my personal opinion. God bless your mother and grant her long life with good health.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Greetings,
I received my refugee status last year and I'm in the middle of PR application. Last night I got called from home saying that my mother is hospitalized. I'm her only child left and she's 76. Sadly, she doesn't know about my status in Canada. So I'm planning to go back home for short amount of time but I don't know how nor if it's possible for me to go back without endangering my refugee status. I never renew my passport and IRB still has them. I haven't applied for refugee travel document. No criminal record or any political or mafia or yakuza affiliation. Just ordinary guy who love his mom so much.

I already booked an appointment with community legal service and I'll meet them in tomorrow and hopefully, I'll find a good lawyer.

Any suggestion for me?

Thanks a lot

#2 hypothetically speaking, lets say I give up my refugee status and I go back home with my passport, the problem is my passport is expired, would I be able to go back home then?

But if you do that, they will cancel your whole application and they figure your safe now. plus you will be excluded from ever coming to Canada for a long time when they give your passport back to.you they won't they give it to the airline airport manager and than when it comes to boarding the plane they give to head pliot and when you land they tell you to stay and the local customs plus police will come on the plane and question and in some cases have you arrested put you in jail for a few months that's what I heard and this happens depends where your from

KandyK

Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
O4-04-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
File Transfer...
05/10/2017
Med's Request
19/07/2017
Med's Done....
03/08/2017
LANDED..........
10/19/2017
I know people who were refugee and travelled back home because a close family member passed away. They had to bring back proof though.

I'm not sure if that's the case for family that is hospitalized. You need to call cic and confirm this.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
I know people who were refugee and travelled back home because a close family member passed away. They had to bring back proof though.

I'm not sure if that's the case for family that is hospitalized. You need to call cic and confirm this.

IN the post the guy friend want cancel it

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Have they applied for citizenship and successfully received it? They may find they run into issues when it comes time to apply for citizenship.

Reactions: carolbb23