+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sufficient Proof of Cohabitation??

abernathyabe

Apr 28, 2019
Alberta
Hi!
We recently received a letter stating we need to provide further proof of cohabitation.
We had already provided a joint lease when we first applied for PR in February 2019 so we included everything else we could which are joint bank statements from February until July 2019, airplane tickets and boarding passes of trips we took together and the lease we signed with the hotel we stayed in while on vacation together.
My husband doesn't have a Canadian drivers license and isn't on my car insurance because he was on implied status after his visitor visa expired and therefore wasn't able to provide ID to apply for these things.

My question is, will this be enough evidence of cohabitation?
Thanks in advance for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
We recently received a letter stating we need to provide further proof of cohabitation.
We had already provided a joint lease when we first applied for PR in February 2019 so we included everything else we could which are joint bank statements from February until July 2019, airplane tickets and boarding passes of trips we took together and the lease we signed with the hotel we stayed in while on vacation together.
My husband doesn't have a Canadian drivers license and isn't on my car insurance because he was on implied status after his visitor visa expired and therefore wasn't able to provide ID to apply for these things.

My question is, will this be enough evidence of cohabitation?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Only the joint bank account statement is proof of cohabitation - however the fact they don't cover a full year is problematic. You would have wanted to be able to provide joint bank statements covering the entire year you are claiming cohabitation.

The other items you included prove you are in a relationship but are not evidence of cohabitation.

Is there anything else you can provide? Joint utility bills going back a full year? Mail going back a full year to the same address? Employment records?

abernathyabe

Apr 28, 2019
Alberta
Only the joint bank account statement is proof of cohabitation - however the fact they don't cover a full year is problematic. You would have wanted to be able to provide joint bank statements covering the entire year you are claiming cohabitation.

The other items you included prove you are in a relationship but are not evidence of cohabitation.

Is there anything else you can provide? Joint utility bills going back a full year? Mail going back a full year to the same address? Employment records?
We have only been married and living together since January 2019. So there is no need to provide for a full year. He just got his work visa so he hasn’t been able to work this whole time and therefore doesn’t have any employment records or anything like that.
The letter also asked to provide proof of cohabitation while travelling outside of Canada as well so that’s why I provided the travel documents/accommodations.
We don’t have any utility bills because we have been renting my parent’s basement suite and they don’t charge us for utilities. In order to get a phone number, I had to register it under my name and SIN because he didn’t have one at the time so his phone number and bill are under my name.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have only been married and living together since January 2019. So there is no need to provide for a full year. He just got his work visa so he hasn’t been able to work this whole time and therefore doesn’t have any employment records or anything like that.
The letter also asked to provide proof of cohabitation while travelling outside of Canada as well so that’s why I provided the travel documents/accommodations.
We don’t have any utility bills because we have been renting my parent’s basement suite and they don’t charge us for utilities. In order to get a phone number, I had to register it under my name and SIN because he didn’t have one at the time so his phone number and bill are under my name.
My bad - based on your original post, I thought you were trying to prove common law.

I assume you have filed an inland application in that case and this is why cohabitation proof is being requested.

I would get an affidavit from your parents confirming you are living there together and submit that as well.