+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying while Inland Application

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Hello guys,
I have a question..?

I am applying through Inland , I sent a work permit application but 'cos the strike we have not heard anything back and don't know when we will.
I know we cannot study until resident or if a studying permit has been issued, but I was wondering can I take an online course.
and if not idea does anybody know where could I find for sure if I can or cannot, not the call Centre because I have tried and it doesn't work..

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

No, you don't need a study permit for online courses. However, if the course is longer than 6 months and there is an in-Canada component (ie. sitting an exam in an actual classroom), you would need a study permit. CIC's exact words on it are:

A study permit is a written authorization to engage in studies in Canada and CIC's understanding of a student is a person authorized to engage in studies in Canada [R1]. Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. A foreign national in Canada should not be penalized for studying under distance-learning arrangements. For example, if they are prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance-learning courses. Some distance-learning courses of study include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or writing final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. (See section 5.5, above, for course or program of study.) The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

No, you don't need a study permit for online courses. However, if the course is longer than 6 months and there is an in-Canada component (ie. sitting an exam in an actual classroom), you would need a study permit. CIC's exact words on it are:

A study permit is a written authorization to engage in studies in Canada and CIC's understanding of a student is a person authorized to engage in studies in Canada [R1]. Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. A foreign national in Canada should not be penalized for studying under distance-learning arrangements. For example, if they are prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance-learning courses. Some distance-learning courses of study include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or writing final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. (See section 5.5, above, for course or program of study.) The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only.
Thanks that was extremely helpful.

Could you tell me where did you get this info..???
thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12-eng.pdf

Section 5.9 - Distance Learning