+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study with work permit

joomong2001

Sep 17, 2013
I need some urgent help!!

I am currently on PGWP (expires end of this year). But, I started my graduate study this January.

I did not know that I have to apply for study permit (separately) as I get my stipend from school. So, I thought it is not needed.

And Now, My visa expires end of this year. I am planning for apply for my study permit.

Would it be fine?

I am so scared...

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Just wondering...you already have a PGWP! I think you are eligible to apply for PR! After getting your PR, your studies will almost cost 2.5 cheaper because you will be considered as a permanent resident.

joomong2001

Sep 17, 2013
I fulfilled 1 year work experience before I started my graduate study.

Also, I have guaranteed funding for my Msc. Also, department pays for the difference in tuition fee.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Good for you! but i think if your plan is to stay in Canada after graduation, you will not be able to apply for PGWP again! I think it is a one-time opportunity for international students. Unless it is possible for students who study after getting a PGWP to apply for PR.

joomong2001

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah, I also plan to pursue my PhD in canada.

Hopefully, I can get my PR by then.

I am just so scared about my current visa status.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joomong2001 said:
I need some urgent help!!

I am currently on PGWP (expires end of this year). But, I started my graduate study this January.

I did not know that I have to apply for study permit (separately) as I get my stipend from school. So, I thought it is not needed.

And Now, My visa expires end of this year. I am planning for apply for my study permit.

Would it be fine?

I am so scared...
As far as I know and believe = you are currently on PGWP and no study permit. HOw could you possibly even study or how come even college has given you admission, it's illegal, while you are on PGWP, you do not have permission to study. You must contact CIC and let them know that you did this by mistake as you weren't aware at all. Is this a full time program you are pursuing? Did college not say anything at all? Your worry at the moment shouldn't be the TRV, it should be the study permit. From January till date, you have studied with no authorization.

As far as your college funding your program, even if its fully funded, still you need study permit to study. PGWP isn't a substitute for study permit.

Now first you should talk to International Helpdesk at your college and then you must inform CIC buddy.

Though I am quite sure this is what the case is now, but let others comment too!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
sabby2612 said:
As far as I know and believe = you are currently on PGWP and no study permit. HOw could you possibly even study or how come even college has given you admission, it's illegal, while you are on PGWP, you do not have permission to study. You must contact CIC and let them know that you did this by mistake as you weren't aware at all. Is this a full time program you are pursuing? Did college not say anything at all? Your worry at the moment shouldn't be the TRV, it should be the study permit. From January till date, you have studied with no authorization.

As far as your college funding your program, even if its fully funded, still you need study permit to study. PGWP isn't a substitute for study permit.

Now first you should talk to International Helpdesk at your college and then you must inform CIC buddy.

Though I am quite sure this is what the case is now, but let others comment too!
I agree completely.....ur studying illegaly right now without study permit

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
I agree completely.....ur studying illegaly right now without study permit
That's what I was wondering how come college didn't say anything at all about it. Somewhere college is at fault too! Coz it's their job to check for Study permit from International student and of course he has committed this mistake too! I am even wondering if it can be big time problem for him now or what if they deny the status now?

Relica

Aug 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2011
Doc's Request.
30-05-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
Passport Req..
08-01-2014 Passport sent on 07-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-02-2014
LANDED..........
Soon
you can get a study permit then get a student work permit which will allow you to work and study.