+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa for minor after visitor visa refusal

Sonika433

Aug 19, 2022
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I got refusal on my daughter’s visitor visa file. She is 6 years and 8 months old.
Reason:IRCC asked to apply under study permit category. My question is how long it would take to get approval after I submit her file again?

Thanks in advance

Pravee_S

Jun 27, 2022
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I got refusal on my daughter’s visitor visa file. She is 6 years and 8 months old.
Reason:IRCC asked to apply under study permit category. My question is how long it would take to get approval after I submit her file again?

Thanks in advance
Any kid of school age would need a study permit is the general notion, I recently saw a case where a minor got a mere 3 month TRV whereas the parents got thier full study/work permits approved, i guess different visa officers approach such situations differently. You could try applying for a reconsideration request stating you would apply for a study permit for the child once you land in Canada and for now to grant a TRV. It's a long shot like someone mentioned somewhere it would be a lottery if they consider but worth trying.
And as far as the processing time for a new application it would still follow the 12 week avg.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance
What is your status? It will likely take months to get a response.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am an international student on study permit. My husband’s SOWP got approved.
So apply for your child’s study permit since she will come to Canada and go to school. Processing will be at least 3+ months. When does your study permit expire?

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
I don't know why people don't read the info on the official site before finalizing their application:
Clearly says under the heading "Outside of Canada" that "Minor children who want to study in Canada must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who already have a valid study or work permit."

Also read this:

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance
Children in Canada start kindergarten when they're between 5 and 6 years old. If your daughter was younger than 5 when you applied, it is possible the Canadian Immigration would've processed her visitor visa (if everything else was ok). But, because she is older than 6, study permit is mandatory I'm afraid.

Georgita

Jul 13, 2022
I don't know why people don't read the info on the official site before finalizing their application:
Clearly says under the heading "Outside of Canada" that "Minor children who want to study in Canada must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who already have a valid study or work permit."

Also read this:
If the child is… with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permit
Study permit required - No

Documents needed : Child’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit. It’s recommended that the child gets a study permit, even when one is not required.

Footnotes
Footnote 1
The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if they have only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on their passport.

So it's not mandatory, it's a recommendation in case the parents have a valid study or work permit. I know people who arrived as students and took their minor kids with VV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Children in Canada start kindergarten when they're between 5 and 6 years old. If your daughter was younger than 5 when you applied, it is possible the Canadian Immigration would've processed her visitor visa (if everything else was ok). But, because she is older than 6, study permit is mandatory I'm afraid.
They actually start kindergarten at 4 years old in most cases. It is called Junior Kindergarten. If your child will be of age to enter junior kindergarten in the province you will be living in ( requirements vary by province) you need to apply for a study permit.

Reactions: RamSatt

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If the child is… with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permit
Study permit required - No

Documents needed : Child’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit. It’s recommended that the child gets a study permit, even when one is not required.

Footnotes
Footnote 1
The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if they have only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on their passport.

So it's not mandatory, it's a recommendation in case the parents have a valid study or work permit. I know people who arrived as students and took their minor kids with VV.
It has be one mandatory in the past year or so. We see many TRVs being denied and parents asked to reapply for a study permit. There are also many schools that will require study permit and wonKt accept the TRV. It used to be possible to just apply for a TRV to attend elementary or secondary school as the child of an international student. The requirements may not have been updated everywhere on the Internet.

Georgita

Jul 13, 2022
It has be one mandatory in the past year or so. We see many TRVs being denied and parents asked to reapply for a study permit. There are also many schools that will require study permit and wonKt accept the TRV. It used to be possible to just apply for a TRV to attend elementary or secondary school as the child of an international student. The requirements may not have been updated everywhere on the Internet.
The information I provide is from official website - Canada.ca.

Also I know people whose kids are arrived to Canada with VV and are studying in elementary and middle schools. They were traveling a month ago, and reentered to Canada again with VV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The information I provide is from official website - Canada.ca.

Also I know people whose kids are arrived to Canada with VV and are studying in elementary and middle schools. They were traveling a month ago, and reentered to Canada again with VV.
They likely received their TRV a while ago. In the past year we’ve seen the change to requiring a study permit vs TRV. You can search the forum andcyou’ll find examples of others being refused TRVs and being told to reapply for study permits for their children. There are still some VOs that likely approve TRVs but study permit is the best option if you want to avoid the chance of having to reapply. The requirement to show your study permit varies by school board. Some are more strict than others.

Georgita

Jul 13, 2022
They likely received their TRV a while ago. In the past year we’ve seen the change to requiring a study permit vs TRV. You can search the forum andcyou’ll find examples of others being refused TRVs and being told to reapply for study permits for their children. There are still some VOs that likely approve TRVs but study permit is the best option if you want to avoid the chance of having to reapply. The requirement to show your study permit varies by school board. Some are more strict than others.
They got VV for kids in 2021. In Nova Scotia, school requested to send my study permit only, so they don't require study permit for kids.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They got VV for kids in 2021. In Nova Scotia, school requested to send my study permit only, so they don't require study permit for kids.
Many school boards in Ontario are now asking for study permits for minors even if parents have work or study permits. Also if high school age then a study permit is asked for in most provinces.