+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit UAE

john291223

Feb 25, 2024
Hello, i am a 17 year old high school student who lives and studies in the UAE but is a Citizen of the Philippines and I will be graduating and applying to Canadian universities next year. I have been doing some research regarding Study Permits and have read on how people are refused if they apply from a country that they are not a citizen of. I have never been to the Philippines but I am a citizen of the Philippines, am I able to prove home ties through the Philippines even if I have never been there, do I have to prove home ties from the UAE, or can I do both?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, i am a 17 year old high school student who lives and studies in the UAE but is a Citizen of the Philippines and I will be graduating and applying to Canadian universities next year. I have been doing some research regarding Study Permits and have read on how people are refused if they apply from a country that they are not a citizen of. I have never been to the Philippines but I am a citizen of the Philippines, am I able to prove home ties through the Philippines even if I have never been there, do I have to prove home ties from the UAE, or can I do both?
What is your status in the UAE and when does it expire? If it expires during your studies it will be an issue because you cannot show that you can return to UAE. Ties to return are spouse/children, properties, business, investments, job opportunities to justify costs.

john291223

Feb 25, 2024
I am on a residence visa, i'm not sure when it expires, i'll have to ask my parents. If it does what do i do? Extend the Visa? Can i display strong home ties to the philippines since i have family and have property there even though i've never stepped foot in the philippines? Can i display home ties to the UAE if my visa is still good for my duration of studies? Can i display ties to both country of residence and citizenship to ensure? Sorry i'm new to this visa stuff and was just worried because people say the rejection rate is high in the UAE and fear rejection. I'm intending to pursue a 4 year Computer Science Bachelor's Degree and have no history or ties of family in Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on a residence visa, i'm not sure when it expires, i'll have to ask my parents. If it does what do i do? Extend the Visa? Can i display strong home ties to the philippines since i have family and have property there even though i've never stepped foot in the philippines? Can i display home ties to the UAE if my visa is still good for my duration of studies? Can i display ties to both country of residence and citizenship to ensure? Sorry i'm new to this visa stuff and was just worried because people say the rejection rate is high in the UAE and fear rejection. I'm intending to pursue a 4 year Computer Science Bachelor's Degree and have no history or ties of family in Canada.
Family is spouse/child so you don’t have family ties. So property is in your name. You need to show job opportunities for either country. if your visa expires during your studies then IRCC will be concerned you will not leave Canada. You need to outline why you need to study in Canada and why you cannot take the program elsewhere.

john291223

Feb 25, 2024
Okay thanks, my father is sponsoring me, and the property is under my parents name. I am a high school student so i don't really know much about this as I am still in Grade 11. My parents will be financially supporting me throughout my studies and i intend on going to Canada by myself to pursue my degree and go back to my home country once I achieve that. A degree from Canada will give me an edge when i apply for jobs in the Philippines, and the exact degree i'm looking at is (Digital Health) which is not offered in either the UAE or Philippines. Since I am a Citizen of Philippines, have cousins, aunts, grandparents, and property there but never visited or lived in the philippines am i not able to use that as ties to home?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay thanks, my father is sponsoring me, and the property is under my parents name. I am a high school student so i don't really know much about this as I am still in Grade 11. My parents will be financially supporting me throughout my studies and i intend on going to Canada by myself to pursue my degree and go back to my home country once I achieve that. A degree from Canada will give me an edge when i apply for jobs in the Philippines, and the exact degree i'm looking at is (Digital Health) which is not offered in either the UAE or Philippines. Since I am a Citizen of Philippines, have cousins, aunts, grandparents, and property there but never visited or lived in the philippines am i not able to use that as ties to home?
You have no ties as property is not yours and family is extended. You need to focus on the job opportunities you will have with a Canadian education vs. going to university in Philippines or another country. Also Canada is capping the number of students so you will also need provincial approval before applying for a study permit.