+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit to LA

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
I'll be having the same situation as yours soon. I'm currently in Canada holding a Visitors visa and I'm sending my Student permit application to VAC-LA when I receive my Letter of Acceptance from the school I applied for. I'm aware that we can not convert our Visitors (Tourist) visa within Canada and a friend here in Canada told me to send my application from outside Canada that's why I'm planning to send my application to VAC-LA instead. This is my first time to do this and I dont have a lawyer to assist me. Is this process really working?

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
Another important question, what did you answer in the question #9 in the application form "Country where applying"? Did you put Canada? (Because youre staying in canada right now), USA (bec you sent your application to US), or your country of residence? I'm hoping for your reply as you've applied earlier than me.

Rocker117

Aug 28, 2014
I dont remember it was question 9 or not but I hv put country of residence as canada sincd I m in canada now

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
That clears my anxiety. I hope this thread will be seen by other people with the same situation so we could all get along. I've been reading this forum all day today and I think your application is just fine as I read couple of times, application by mail in LA can really take 60 days or more. I'm hoping for your success tho.

Anyway I have another question. Did you include a SOP (Statement of Purpose/Letter of Explanation) in your application? I believe it is not included in the list of required documents but a lot of people who applied included one in their applications specially if you have a "study gap" problem. I have a two year study gap since I finished my Bachelor's degree last 2012 and I'm afraid I might be needing to include a SOP in my application.

kacy12

Oct 17, 2014
I am currently in Canada as well, and I just mailed my application to LA this noon. Hope I can get a positive response soon.