+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Submission Thoughts

wacom

May 3, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am a 3D Artist from the Philippines. Recently I've applied to a Canadian university for further studies. I was accepted into Capilano University in Vancouver and am now done submitting my documents for my study permit application. I am now just waiting for the embassy to get back to me.

I just wanted to hear some of your guy's thoughts on how you think my case will be received, and maybe some insight on my chances of being approved a study permit.

I was hoping my travel history would be the strongest point on my application that would show that I have no history of hiding or overstaying abroad, since I have already been to canada and a few others and chose to come home.

Here are some details:

- I am 24
- graduate of a Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Arts degree in the Manila. ( learned basics of the different medias, photography, video, web, 3d, animation, etc )
- applied to Digital Visual Effects Diploma in Capilano University, BC ( to put focus on learning Visual Effects, something that wasnt taught in my previous school to full extent.

- I have 2 years continuous work experience as 3d artist. but have been freelancing since March 31, 2018. So thats a year of freelance ( I forgot to mention on my letter that I've been freelancing since my previous job but I did list it on the application form as freelancing and self employed. I didnt get to attach my current resume due to the file size limits )

- sent a 2 page letter of explanation
- explained my background, explained why I chose the program I applied to, explained my previous schooling and work experience, explained how the program is related to my work and how it could further take me down a path of visual effects, explained my family ties, explained my parents support, explained my accommodation plans, explained that I intend to come home after I study, and explained that I fully understood my duties as a student.
- attached to this, my birth cert, police clearance, IELTS Academic ( 7.0 overall, none below 6.5 ), transcripts from my previous high school and college, a letter of employment from my previous work stating my full 2 years of work has ended.

- sent proof of financial support from parents
- the program I was accepted into is a 2 year program. $33,500 per year. $67,000 total
- my parents volunteered to pay for my entire stay ( we sent a letter from them confirming their support )
- sent their IDs along-side this as well
- we were able to show an initial amount of $71,300 of available funds through bank statements ( since the CIC website recommended showing 1st year tuition + $10,000 = $43,500 ) we chose to show more
- sent an official fee schedule that I made to show all the potential costs and the full cost of schooling in detail.
- paid a $5000 deposit to the school with receipt

- I have a friend who knew someone who was willing to host me. I wrote down the address and the name of my host on my letter.

- passport
- with 4 existing visas
- canadian visa ( 3 years, multiple entry ), visited 2017
- australian visa ( single entry TRV ), visited 2017
- us visa (10 year, multiple entry ), visited 2014
- new zealand visa ( expired ), visited 2012

- forms I submitted:
- acceptance letter
- application for study permit outside of canada
- family information form
- schedule 1 form for temporary residence
- my upfront medical exam form ( I admitted to smoking marijuana in the past, I have a separate post/thread on this )

I applied online and answered everything truthfully.
Some documents were a challenge to compress, but I got around to attaching as much information about me as I could.

I know this post is a mouthful, but I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this as it could help me prepare for what might come :)

Cheers

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This looks like a good application to me. Your travel history is strong. One of the key questions will be how well your SOP was written, but you seem like someone who would be able to write a good SOP.

I wish you good luck and hope for a positive response!

Reactions: wacom

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Likely depends if they fill that you are actually building on your existing skills because you were already able to work in 3D artists. Also there is the issue of where the 2nd year tuition will come from. I agree strong application.

wacom

May 3, 2019
This looks like a good application to me. Your travel history is strong. One of the key questions will be how well your SOP was written, but you seem like someone who would be able to write a good SOP.

I wish you good luck and hope for a positive response!
Thanks, I'm glad you think so :)

I handled my application myself, with no experienced travel lawyers to help me write my letter. I sure hope its good enough.

Last edited:

wacom

May 3, 2019
Likely depends if they fill that you are actually building on your existing skills because you were already able to work in 3D artists. Also there is the issue of where the 2nd year tuition will come from. I agree strong application.
Well, technically the funds weve shown can already cover the full tuition for 2 years, living costs aside. The rest could still be earned. But I do get your point.

I did mention the occupations of both my parents, and both are considered well-paying jobs here in the philippines by reputation. So I hope that shows how much the earning capacity is.