+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Renewal With Family SOWP Extension

thewilfreds

Jan 15, 2019
Hi, please I need help.

I arrived Canada in January 2017 for my master program and my wife and little baby joined me September 2018 on Open Work Permit. I am currently on an Internship with the Government and hope to complete my study by April 2019 (this year), however, my Study Permit and my wife/baby's permits are expiring March 31st, 2019 (few weeks before my graduation). I have been enrolled full time since I came, even right now.

One of my worries is that my wife has not been able to get a job, because our baby is small (currently 11 months of age). We are hoping to put baby to daycare so my wife can start working in a couple of months to come. But we are not sure if this will be a problem for our renewal (especially hers and the baby)?

Another question is, can I apply for our renewal together in a single application or do I need to apply for mine and later apply for theirs? Our visas is also expiring same date, can we apply for both altogether or separately? As for funding, my internship is paid and I currently have a cash of $34,500 in my Canadian account while my wife has about $6,800 in hers. Please advise me.

Thank you.

Vessela

Jan 17, 2019
Hi, please I need help.

I arrived Canada in January 2017 for my master program and my wife and little baby joined me September 2018 on Open Work Permit. I am currently on an Internship with the Government and hope to complete my study by April 2019 (this year), however, my Study Permit and my wife/baby's permits are expiring March 31st, 2019 (few weeks before my graduation). I have been enrolled full time since I came, even right now.

One of my worries is that my wife has not been able to get a job, because our baby is small (currently 11 months of age). We are hoping to put baby to daycare so my wife can start working in a couple of months to come. But we are not sure if this will be a problem for our renewal (especially hers and the baby)?

Another question is, can I apply for our renewal together in a single application or do I need to apply for mine and later apply for theirs? Our visas is also expiring same date, can we apply for both altogether or separately? As for funding, my internship is paid and I currently have a cash of $34,500 in my Canadian account while my wife has about $6,800 in hers. Please advise me.

Thank you.
Hi,
I think it's better to consult the official site:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html
It is important that you apply for an extention at least 30 days before you permits expire, also if you apply on paper, the processing time is much longer and you can stay legally in Canada during that processing time.
I believe that you can, as long as you have a full time job already, apply for a Post-graduation work permit (PGWP), and in that case your wife will get an Open Work permit, but also should apply for it. If you do not have a job when you apply, your wife will get only a visitor visa.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation.html
I wish you good luck!

rkarora20

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Hi thewilfreds. i need your help. My study permit is going to expire on 30 nov 2019 and my husband's OWP is also going to expire at same time. how should i extend my study permit as i am going to study for one more year and he will apply for SOWP . Can i go for Flagpolling after getting my study permit or should i apply for both at the same time? and how?