+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refused

migena22

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Have you ever shown an intention to reside permanently in Canada? Or changed the purpose of visit from your previous applications, if any? It looks like the officer is convinced that you are not leaving Canada after your studies and states all possible reasons to support his/her opinion.
I had an EE application which I withdrew before applying for the Study Permit. I want to give it another try and reapply without my spouse. And also I will try to write a strong SOP.

migena22

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
I have almost same case as yours, but still haven't got the results back, I applied on Feb 3. I have bachelor in English language and applied for diploma in IT business management. I didn't include my wife in the application and provided strong explanations about why choosing a diploma, but I think I will get the same refusal results as yours. I believe excluding your spouse is better in such applications. They think you are both going to stay there after your studies. Also, you have chosen same city as your sister's residency, that would make some doubts too, choose a cold place like Calgary next time.
Best of luck! Let me know how it will go.

migena22

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
It's not about the course being good or not, it's about whether it makes sense for you according to the perspective of immigration. Most people who apply for a lower qualification than they already possess have the intention of remaining in Canada, so you're putting yourself clearly in that category.

You should apply for at least a postgraduate qualification of some kind. You have practically zero shot of an approval with this current course.

Apart from that, you've been flagged for pretty much every reason possible, it's going to take a lot of work to assuage their concerns on all these factors.

But the first step is definitely to change your course of study to a postgraduate qualification.
:( this is devastating. But yeah, deep down I think the same as you do.

migena22

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Get your GCMS notes, It will clearly explain the root cause of your visa rejection. Visa Officers cannot reject an application without proper reason. Reapply after discussing your case with an experienced immigration lawyer. Your sister can help you with this as she is already in Canada.
Yes, Im still waiting for my notes. I dont think they will help me a lot. But I just want to be a bit patient this time.

sandeepjnair

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Yes, Im still waiting for my notes. I dont think they will help me a lot. But I just want to be a bit patient this time.
Don't think so, because I am have heard about people who have got approval after 3 to 4 rejection. I am sure that a well-experienced Lawyer can help in your case. Find a reliable person and reapply. Good luck!

myfic

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
I had an EE application which I withdrew before applying for the Study Permit. I want to give it another try and reapply without my spouse. And also I will try to write a strong SOP.
There you go, that's the reason why they are not convinced that you will leave Canada. Keep in mind, nowadays all information of the applicants are kept online and it is very easy to find discrepancies between applications. If you qualify for permanent residency I would suggest you apply for it. Anyhow do as you see fit and good luck.

Reactions: YVR123

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's not just a case of them finding out you have submitted an EE profile. That in and of itself is not sufficient grounds to reject your application.

They have a criteria for assessing your application for a study permit, and according to that criteria they've listed the reasons why you haven't met the threshold for approving your application.

Electrocutedguy

Jan 17, 2021
It's not about the course being good or not, it's about whether it makes sense for you according to the perspective of immigration. Most people who apply for a lower qualification than they already possess have the intention of remaining in Canada, so you're putting yourself clearly in that category.

You should apply for at least a postgraduate qualification of some kind. You have practically zero shot of an approval with this current course.

Apart from that, you've been flagged for pretty much every reason possible, it's going to take a lot of work to assuage their concerns on all these factors.

But the first step is definitely to change your course of study to a postgraduate qualification.
I'm sorry, but hasn't he already applied for a postgraduate diploma after having a bachelor's degree currently? How does it sound stepping back from current qualification?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I'm sorry, but hasn't he already applied for a postgraduate diploma after having a bachelor's degree currently? How does it sound stepping back from current qualification?
He's applied for a 2 year college diploma not a postgraduate diploma, as mentioned by him in his first post.

And even if he applied for a postgraduate diploma, it doesn't mean that IRCC will accept that it makes sense for him to incur the costs associated with studying in Canada for that kind of qualification, without the intention of remaining in Canada.

They have the historical data and trend analysis, they know people who have an undergraduate degree and are looking to do a lower level qualification in Canada, are primarily coming to the country to try to remain and don't have their studies as their main objective.

They do this in part to funnel people who want to live permanently in Canada towards applying for permanent residency, and also to dissuade the notion there is a backdoor option to coming to Canada, as opposed to making the significant, and in their view more legitimate undertaking, of studying for a undergraduate degree or Master's degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qwerty098