+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refused or student visa refused

Asinerate

Sep 9, 2018
I had my application to study in Canada rejected way back in 2010 when i was applying for my study permit? or visa for the first time due to my proof of funds in China. It was then approved when I submitted all the documents and I have been doing fine in Canada right now as I am applying for PR.

I am currently filling the statutory questions section of ITA forms, and there are two questions regarding visa/permit refusal that are confusing me:

1. Has ***** you been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

2. Has ***** ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

My confusion is that I cannot remember what exactly was I applying for back then, I have asked many of my friends, they suggest it's visa because study permit is only stamped at Canadian border.

However, after reading this page
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/after-apply-next-steps.html
It states that once application for study permit is approved, then a letter of introduction and a visitor visa will be issued. Therefore, it means that actually we are applying for study permit instead of student visa, and student visa is the result of successful study permit application. Also, I wonder if the whole process was similar in 2010. If it's similar in 2010 as stated on above website, then i am certain that I was applying for a study permit back then in China.

If my assumptions are correct, I should answer
No to 1st question because I haven't been refused any visa, and
Yes to 2nd question.

Can someone with similar experience or knowledge help me please.
Thanks in advance.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I had my application to study in Canada rejected way back in 2010 when i was applying for my study permit? or visa for the first time due to my proof of funds in China. It was then approved when I submitted all the documents and I have been doing fine in Canada right now as I am applying for PR.

I am currently filling the statutory questions section of ITA forms, and there are two questions regarding visa/permit refusal that are confusing me:

1. Has ***** you been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

2. Has ***** ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

My confusion is that I cannot remember what exactly was I applying for back then, I have asked many of my friends, they suggest it's visa because study permit is only stamped at Canadian border.

However, after reading this page
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/after-apply-next-steps.html
It states that once application for study permit is approved, then a letter of introduction and a visitor visa will be issued. Therefore, it means that actually we are applying for study permit instead of student visa, and student visa is the result of successful study permit application. Also, I wonder if the whole process was similar in 2010. If it's similar in 2010 as stated on above website, then i am certain that I was applying for a study permit back then in China.

If my assumptions are correct, I should answer
No to 1st question because I haven't been refused any visa, and
Yes to 2nd question.

Can someone with similar experience or knowledge help me please.
Thanks in advance.
This is what’s written in the link:

If we approve your application
We will send you:

• a letter of introduction to confirm. This letter isn’t your study permit. You need to show it to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada.
  • an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada:
    • if you are from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about your eTA. Also, the eTA will be:
      • linked to your passport. It is important that you travel with the passport you used when you applied for your study permit.
      • valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
    • if you are from a country where you need a visitor visa, the visa will:
      • be in your passport. You must enter Canada before it expires.
      • show if you can enter Canada only once (a single-entry visa) or if you can enter Canada multiple times (a multiple-entry visa).
The letter of introduction is not your study permit.

Asinerate

Sep 9, 2018
This is what’s written in the link:

The letter of introduction is not your study permit.
Thanks for your reply, I understand that letter of introduction is not my study permit. What I am saying is that the application was to get study permit which will be issued at the Canadian border instead of student visa which is just by product of successful study permit application.

Not sure whether this makes sense or not.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for your reply, I understand that letter of introduction is not my study permit. What I am saying is that the application was to get study permit which will be issued at the Canadian border instead of student visa which is just by product of successful study permit application.

Not sure whether this makes sense or not.
Yes, that is correct. What we get is the visa which authorizes us to travell to Canada. At the port of entry, only then do we get the study permit which will be issued by the CBSA.

Hope this helps.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Which form is this exactly? There is no student visa for Canada, there is a study permit & a Temporary Residence Visa, which is clearly mentioned in the first question, so you should be answering yes, don't think a yes is a big deal for a normal study permit refusal here.