+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit & Part Time

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hi there
I am confused regarding part-time/ full-time work that international students are legally allowed to take, especially between two programs and the true validity of a study permit and it's associated work permit.

I read this thread at https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/post-graduation-work-permit-refused-due-to-unauthorized-work.519345/ and it made me think about all these.

My current plan
1-year course PG Graduate Certificate course at Fanshawe, London - Sept 2018 to 1 May 2019
[another]1-year course PG Graduate Certificate course at any DLI institution - Sept 2019 to April/May 2020

My consultant told me the study permit will be issued and valid from Sept 2018 to June 2019- 2 more months study permit valid after the program ends.

Is it okay to work part-time/full-time during this time- till the study permit expires(like till June 2019) or we have to stop working as soon as the program ends(which is 1 May 2019).

I heard the vacation is a great time to make some money however it is not worth if doing a part-time work if that can later cause troubles while applying for PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there
I am confused regarding part-time/ full-time work that international students are legally allowed to take, especially between two programs and the true validity of a study permit and it's associated work permit.

I read this thread at https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/post-graduation-work-permit-refused-due-to-unauthorized-work.519345/ and it made me think about all these.

My current plan
1-year course PG Graduate Certificate course at Fanshawe, London - Sept 2018 to 1 May 2019
[another]1-year course PG Graduate Certificate course at any DLI institution - Sept 2019 to April/May 2020

My consultant told me the study permit will be issued and valid from Sept 2018 to June 2019- 2 more months study permit valid after the program ends.

Is it okay to work part-time/full-time during this time- till the study permit expires(like till June 2019) or we have to stop working as soon as the program ends(which is 1 May 2019).

I heard the vacation is a great time to make some money however it is not worth if doing a part-time work if that can later cause troubles while applying for PGWP.
You will not be able to work at all between the time your first program finishes in May 2019 and the time your second program starts in September 2019. If you work between programs, you can expect your PGWP to be refused. You will have to stop working as soon as your first program ends. No - it's certainly not OK to continue working until June. You must stop immediately.

Reactions: rogertoland

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi there

My current plan

You are only allowed to work full time from May/19 to Sept/19 only if you are attending the same program in the same school and the break is scheduled by the school. But if you are going to be attending different programs and school, then you cannot work at all until you officially start school in Sept/19.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
You will not be able to work at all between the time your first program finishes in May 2019 and the time your second program starts in September 2019. If you work between programs, you can expect your PGWP to be refused. You will have to stop working as soon as your first program ends. No - it's certainly not OK to continue working until June. You must stop immediately.
So after my 1st program ends on April/May 2019, till my classes start for the 2nd program on Sept 2019, on what status I will be staying in Canada if I don't plan to return to my home country?
I believe my first study permit will be there till 2019 June last to cover my stay till then. However, since my next program only starts in Sept 2019, the months in between (July, August), till I get a renewed study permit valid from 2019 Sept- What will be my status during this time? Should I apply for a visitor visa or any other bridging options are there?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There has actually been a change of rules that another poster said was sent out in March. You now can work full-time between the 2 consecutive process if you have been accepted to the 2nd program, there is less than 150 days between the end of one program and the beginning of the other program. I am not sure how they define the end of the 1st program. Last day of exams or day when you receive your results? You also need to have applied to extend you study permit as well.

Reactions: rogertoland