+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit (NY or Los Angeles office) - study permit to Canada from US

newbie8989

May 20, 2020
For Caipsnotes, you just order it like a service with 15$. ATIP Online request will not necessarily require PR or Canada citizen. It just needs someone present in Canada. ATIP takes 5$ per request.
Thank you ,
1) there are three options 1.) GCMS notes 2) CBSA notes 3) Entire file, which one have you chosen?
2) For file number field , is it the Application no in the biometrics letter that we need to enter?

Thank you in advance.

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
Ye
I think I apply for PhD program, so it might be a priority that I received the correspondence letter.

I am not sure they intentionally hold back passport request letter. If that is the case, then it is very ridiculous. Since my courses are totally online, I am not worried much. I think I might work with the immigration consultant in my school to see if there is an option that speeds up the request letter process. Probably, I will send them a webform indicating an urgent.
Yeah that is probably the reason.

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Thank you ,
1) there are three options 1.) GCMS notes 2) CBSA notes 3) Entire file, which one have you chosen?
2) For file number field , is it the Application no in the biometrics letter that we need to enter?

Thank you in advance.
(1). I chose the GCMS notes.
(2). Application number is your application no. for study permit application(not the UCI number). You can find it when logging into your current application.

Reactions: newbie8989

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Just an update today!!! I received my GCMS File that my study permit is approved.
Congratulations on your approval!

My school actually sent me an email about the current situation with IRCC. In the email, it says that IRCC had notified my school that IRCC will aim to process all backlogged applications by September. This is consistent to the information on IRCC’s website.

We should expect some news in the coming weeks.

Reactions: phuongdong
May 20, 2020
Hi! I am currently also waiting for my study permit decision. My timeline:
Submitted online for study permit on June 7th, 2020;
Biometrics done on July 17th, 2020;
Have not received a correspondence letter yet... (I don't know why)
The status from IRCC: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

My background:
F-1 student currently stuck in the U.S.. Unable to return to my home country so I apply for an OPT
Admitted to a PhD program in Canada, waiting for my study permit..

Should I order a GCMS notes before I receive a correspondence letter or after? I am barely hanging in the U.S since I am so nervous about the study permit.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Reactions: phuongdong

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
The status from IRCC: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

My background:
F-1 student currently stuck in the U.S.. Unable to return to my home country so I apply for an OPT

Should I order a GCMS notes before I receive a correspondence letter or after? I am barely hanging in the U.S since I am so nervous about the study permit.

Hello,

You are definitely not alone here. I have the same situation but applied in March, and I still have not received correspondence letter. My application says that it is currently being reviewed. However, if you look at my previous thread, I have the theory that IRCC may have already processed your application, and they are just waiting to send you passport request letter for some reason. It does make sense for anyone if IRCC rejects an application but hold on to it only to tell the applicant later. This is a waste of time for both the applicant and the officer. I guess right now, no news is good news.

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
Hello,

You are definitely not alone here. I have the same situation but applied in March, and I still have not received correspondence letter. My application says that it is currently being reviewed. However, if you look at my previous thread, I have the theory that IRCC may have already processed your application, and they are just waiting to send you passport request letter for some reason. It does make sense for anyone if IRCC rejects an application but hold on to it only to tell the applicant later. This is a waste of time for both the applicant and the officer. I guess right now, no news is good news.
I applied for study permit in May and submitted my biometric in July. Review started but had not received correspondence letter yet. Hopefully IRCC officers can process all September intake applications ASAP. Finger crossed

May 20, 2020
Hello,

It does seem like a long way to go for all of us! Anyway good luck on your decision!

Reactions: Ln_

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY

My background:

Yeah, you should order a GCMS notes after they send a message saying "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements". The correspondence letter (after you get the biometrics) is showing your validity of fingerprint, they check your background, and it will be showing the office (mine is CCP-Ottawa in Ontario) that mainly processes your application regardless that you are applying from United States. Also, ordering GCMS note will tell you the detail of their process, final decision, and your stamp visa number as well (these will show up in the system). Some service says it will averagely take within 30 days to have GCMS note deliver to you, but in my case it took approximately 14-15 days. So all I can say it is worth money to order GCMS note during this pandemic time.

May 20, 2020
Yeah, you should order a GCMS notes after they send a message saying "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements". The correspondence letter (after you get the biometrics) is showing your validity of fingerprint, they check your background, and it will be showing the office (mine is CCP-Ottawa in Ontario) that mainly processes your application regardless that you are applying from United States. Also, ordering GCMS note will tell you the detail of their process, final decision, and your stamp visa number as well (these will show up in the system). Some service says it will averagely take within 30 days to have GCMS note deliver to you, but in my case it took approximately 14-15 days. So all I can say it is worth money to order GCMS note during this pandemic time.
Hi! Thanks for your insight! Which website do you use to order your GCMS notes?

Thanks!

annakakda

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Anyone of you who applied online and lives in the US has any idea about the followings, regarding web form?

My husband is planning to update his legal status in the US via web form for his study permit (the grace period of his F1 is going to expire and he has filed for change of status in mid June). He has two questions:

1, Under the question "Is your application being processed by an office OUTSIDE Canada," there is a note "IMPORTANT: If you’re currently being impacted by COVID-19, answer No to this question." What does this note mean? He actually submitted his application online since end March and does not know which office process his application. IRCC has not started any review so far, even though he has given his biometrics on July 23. So, should he answer YES or NO? (We live in LA)
2, Does the web form allow attachment? We cannot find an option for it. So, all we can do is just to explain the situation?

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Hi! Thanks for your insight! Which website do you use to order your GCMS notes?

Thanks!
I use this website to order GCMS note: https://caipsnotes.com. It said within 30 days, but in reality it only took me approximately 14 days. If you want to see what GCMS note looks like, I can let you my screen cap just inbox me.

Anyone of you who applied online and lives in the US has any idea about the followings, regarding web form?

My husband is planning to update his legal status in the US via web form for his study permit (the grace period of his F1 is going to expire and he has filed for change of status in mid June). He has two questions:

1, Under the question "Is your application being processed by an office OUTSIDE Canada," there is a note "IMPORTANT: If you’re currently being impacted by COVID-19, answer No to this question." What does this note mean? He actually submitted his application online since end March and does not know which office process his application. IRCC has not started any review so far, even though he has given his biometrics on July 23. So, should he answer YES or NO? (We live in LA)
2, Does the web form allow attachment? We cannot find an option for it. So, all we can do is just to explain the situation?
I think you might need to wait a little bit. Consider this case: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/study-permit-rejected.696227/. Despite of holding F1-OPT (file case pending), this person was still rejected for study permit regardless of attaching valid status document along with the application. I think you may wait until there is a start of reviewing the eligibility in your application. For your questions, if you answer NO, the inquiry will go to CPC Office in Canada for response. Given you are living in LA, the best option is to say NO to that. The webform will allow attachments. I remember it allows up to 2MB document in pdf, jpg... format for attachments.

Reactions: annakakda

annakakda

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
I use this website to order GCMS note: https://caipsnotes.com. It said within 30 days, but in reality it only took me approximately 14 days. If you want to see what GCMS note looks like, I can let you my screen cap just inbox me.

I think you might need to wait a little bit. Consider this case: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/study-permit-rejected.696227/. Despite of holding F1-OPT (file case pending), this person was still rejected for study permit regardless of attaching valid status document along with the application. I think you may wait until there is a start of reviewing the eligibility in your application. For your questions, if you answer NO, the inquiry will go to CPC Office in Canada for response. Given you are living in LA, the best option is to say NO to that. The webform will allow attachments. I remember it allows up to 2MB document in pdf, jpg... format for attachments.
Thank you for your response. I read that case, too. And my husband and I are thinking about what way takes a greater risk. We are afraid that if we do not give information in advance, they will reject us right away when they start reviewing our application. What do you think?