+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit is not a visa?

AhmedAlagha

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hello everyone,

I got my study permit in December and Im planning to travel soon.
It caught my attention the following statement on canada.ca :
"Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit. "
What does that mean? Do I need to obtain another document? I have it already stamped in my Passport.
Also, I hear people talking about entering Canada "after the visa is active", how can I know if my visa is active or not.

Thank you in advance.
Regards

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No. It says, “If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.” so you can travel. When does your permit and TRV expire.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

"Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit. "
What does that mean? Do I need to obtain another document? I have it already stamped in my Passport.
Also, I hear people talking about entering Canada "after the visa is active", how can I know if my visa is active or not.

Thank you in advance.
Regards
If the visa stamped on your passport is valid then you can go in and out of Canada. Study permit is the permission to study while in Canada.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Regards
if you approved study permit then tey issued you TRV

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Regards
What you have stamped in your passport is not your study permit, that's your TRV (visa) that will allow you enter Canada. At entry, the officer will issue you your Study Permit.