+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - Is Age a Barrier, Please Help!

Endurance

Aug 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all Colleagues / Experts,

I have finished my Graduation in 1991 from India, age is 42 years and since 1991 I have not engaged in any studies. Currently working in Construction/Interior field.
I would like to know that if I wish to take up a Trade / Apprenticeship diploma in Canada is it possible given the above factors? If yes could you guide me for appropriate colleges where I will be eligible for off campus work?

Await your valuable inputs & advice.

Thanks
Endurance

momi

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
First Medical Request 16/02/2012----Further Medical Request 29/03/2012---Second Further Medical 14/05/2012---Third further medical 03/09/2012
Med's Done....
22/02/2012-----Further Medical Done on 18/04/2012----Second Further Medical Done on 05/06/2012----Third Further Medical done on 10/09/2012
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
24/02/2012
Endurance said:

I have finished my Graduation in 1991 from India, age is 42 years and since 1991 I have not engaged in any studies. Currently working in Construction/Interior field.
I would like to know that if I wish to take up a Trade / Apprenticeship diploma in Canada is it possible given the above factors? If yes could you guide me for appropriate colleges where I will be eligible for off campus work?

Thanks
Endurance
All Gov't funded college student are eligible for PGWP and OCWP , age is not the factor at all, you have to show that you are a genuine student and want to study........

H

HBK

Endurance said:

Thanks
Endurance
Age is not factor here,but at this age cracking visa for diploma/trade/apprenticeship course will not be easy....go for a university degree for a better chances and to prove bonafide student..

Endurance

Aug 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
momi said:
All Gov't funded college student are eligible for PGWP and OCWP , age is not the factor at all, you have to show that you are a genuine student and want to study........
Thanks for the prompt feedback, Can you help me with any links to Govt funded colleges in Vancouver where I stand a chance of getting student permit as well off campus work permit? What is the best mode of applying to these colleges/institutions, Online or through a educational consultant in my Country? any suggestions?

What Challenges / difficulties likely can come in my way as mentioned by HBK? How can a University degree prove useful in my case.

Await your clarification and help.

Endurance

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Endurance said:

Thanks
Endurance
I'm currently in a situation somewhat similar. I'm currently in my last term at Langara College (Diploma Program) here in Vancouver. I'm 52 and until my current enrollment had not been to school since 1981. I had absolutely no trouble with admission nor with the study permit process. I am accompanied by my wife (on long term vistors permit) who applied for and received a spousal open work permit. Both my study permit and her open work permit were issued simultaneously under the same application.

If you're only interested in the Vancouver area, and most interested in the trades, then BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) would probably be most suitable. It is a public institution with its main campus in Burnaby (immediately east of Vancouver). It has satellite campuses in North Vancouver (marine-related trades), Richmond (aviation/aeronautics), and in Vancouver itself (2 campuses). You mention that you are in the construction field so it may interest you to know that BCIT has a School of Construction with many Diploma and Degree offerings related to the construction field.

**An important note: Although BCIT is a public school, making its students elligible for off-campus work permits, there are a few important caveats. OCWP is not an automatic right. In order to qualify, students must first attend a mandatory information briefing at the school (offered periodically). Students must also have completed six months of school (1.5 terms) during the preceding 12 months, and meet GPA requirements established by the school. They also cannot be on an academic probationary status. Once all of the prerequisites have been met, students can apply for the permit (after payment of the $150 application fee), approval of which can take 3 to 6 weeks. It is also important to realize that students are only permitted to work 20 hours per week during academic sessions (they may work full time during breaks and over the summer). It is also required that students continue to meet all academic (GPA) standards after receiving the work permit, as failure to do so will result in ineligibility to continue working under the program.

It is therefore imperitive that that you have access to sufficient funds for AT LEAST the first two full terms (preferably longer) of living expenses, in addition to an amount sufficient for tuition, fees and books/supplies.

Best of luck to you.

Endurance

Aug 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NeedleArtist said:
I'm currently in a situation somewhat similar. I'm currently in my last term at Langara College (Diploma Program) here in Vancouver. I'm 52 and until my current enrollment had not been to school since 1981. I had absolutely no trouble with admission nor with the study permit process. I am accompanied by my wife (on long term vistors permit) who applied for and received a spousal open work permit. Both my study permit and her open work permit were issued simultaneously under the same application.

If you're only interested in the Vancouver area, and most interested in the trades, then BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) would probably be most suitable. It is a public institution with its main campus in Burnaby (immediately east of Vancouver). It has satellite campuses in North Vancouver (marine-related trades), Richmond (aviation/aeronautics), and in Vancouver itself (2 campuses). You mention that you are in the construction field so it may interest you to know that BCIT has a School of Construction with many Diploma and Degree offerings related to the construction field.

**An important note: Although BCIT is a public school, making its students elligible for off-campus work permits, there are a few important caveats. OCWP is not an automatic right. In order to qualify, students must first attend a mandatory information briefing at the school (offered periodically). Students must also have completed six months of school (1.5 terms) during the preceding 12 months, and meet GPA requirements established by the school. They also cannot be on an academic probationary status. Once all of the prerequisites have been met, students can apply for the permit (after payment of the $150 application fee), approval of which can take 3 to 6 weeks. It is also important to realize that students are only permitted to work 20 hours per week during academic sessions (they may work full time during breaks and over the summer). It is also required that students continue to meet all academic (GPA) standards after receiving the work permit, as failure to do so will result in ineligibility to continue working under the program.

It is therefore imperitive that that you have access to sufficient funds for AT LEAST the first two full terms (preferably longer) of living expenses, in addition to an amount sufficient for tuition, fees and books/supplies.

Best of luck to you.
Dear NeedleArtist ,

Thanks for the encouraging and positive words, in fact this can be an inspiration for many who have to defy and overcome the age factor and view their situation from a totally different perspective. The information provided is very helpful, though I am in the initial stages of preparation with the IELTS test. Even I had BCIT as the institute of choice for my study options.

Want to know many things from you, hope I am not bothering you with my questions! Can you let me know if you were in Canada for the admission process or outside? and whether you applied Online for the admission process, and how long they take for the letter of Acceptance? Please share with me the details of the process. Did you encounter any glitches by the Immigration authorities for issuing study permit in view of the age factor? You may send a PM to me for the details.

I wish you & your family a successful life ahead in Canada and for your future PR plans too.

Thanks in advance
Endurance

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Endurance said:
Dear NeedleArtist ,

Thanks for the encouraging and positive words, in fact this can be an inspiration for many who have to defy and overcome the age factor and view their situation from a totally different perspective. The information provided is very helpful, though I am in the initial stages of preparation with the IELTS test. Even I had BCIT as the institute of choice for my study options.

Want to know many things from you, hope I am not bothering you with my questions! Can you let me know if you were in Canada for the admission process or outside? and whether you applied Online for the admission process, and how long they take for the letter of Acceptance? Please share with me the details of the process. Did you encounter any glitches by the Immigration authorities for issuing study permit in view of the age factor? You may send a PM to me for the details.

I wish you & your family a successful life ahead in Canada and for your future PR plans too.

Thanks in advance
Endurance
I hope you don't mind but I generally prefer to post rather than PM, so that others might possibly benefit as well.

Throughout my process I enjoyed a number of advantages that you probably won't have. I am from the U.S. and in preparation for our application my wife and I moved to Lynden, Washington (just 5 km south of the border and only 30 km from Vancouver) about one year before we began the Study Permit application process. We also applied for and received Nexus cards (available only to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada) to facilitate fast frequent trips over the border. I am retired (after 27+ years of military service) and therefore we were able to move close to our ultimate destination without worrying about jobs. Using Lynden, WA as a "home base", I spent several months researching and visiting every school in the Vancouver area. We also were able to make more than 40 cross-border trips in total exploring possible locations to live and simply becoming as acquainted and comfortable as possible with the area. We also subscribed to the Vancouver Sun newspaper and were able to receive all major Vancouver TV stations. As a result of these efforts, were were able to become quite knowledgeable and prevent any potentially poor decisions.

After multiple visits to the campus, speaking with staff, students and faculty, and assessing public transit options, I decided on Langara College as my school of choice. I submitted the application in person. As a prerequisite for beginning classes I was required to sit for the Langara English Assessment Exam. Due to my proximity I was able to write the exam before actually beginning school rather than in my first term, which allowed me to enroll in required courses I would have otherwise been forced to wait for. Approval of the application took about one week.

With the acceptance letter in hand, my wife and I simply drove to the border, paid the fees and left 20 minutes later with my Study Permit and with a Spousal Open Work Permit for her. As U.S. citizens, no medicals were required. I receive a generous pension from my military service and simply showed a current bank statement as proof of funds. At tbe same time we were able to find suitable housing, a family doctor and dentist, exchange our Washington state driving licences for B.C. driving licenses, obtain rental and auto insurance, and apply for B.C. medical plan. As a student you are required to have medical coverage during the three-month waiting period till medical plan coverage takes effect. It can be purchased privately upon your arrival from various companies.

About one month before the beginning of classes, we completed the actual move from Lynden to Vancouver using a local moving company. If you apply early enough, permits are issued to allow arrival several weeks before the beginning of classes. Throughout the entire process the issue of age never came up. As a matter of fact, it actually opened up options not available to younger students. Langara College offers more flexible enrolment options and documentation requirements for "mature students", as do most other schools.

I realise that many /most of the procedures we followed will be impossible for you, but I will attempt to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have to the best of my ability.

Best of luck to you and your family in your endeavour.

Endurance

Aug 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NeedleArtist said:
I hope you don't mind but I generally prefer to post rather than PM, so that others might possibly benefit as well.

Throughout my process I enjoyed a number of advantages that you probably won't have. I am from the U.S. and in preparation for our application my wife and I moved to Lynden, Washington (just 5 km south of the border and only 30 km from Vancouver) about one year before we began the Study Permit application process. We also applied for and received Nexus cards (available only to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada) to facilitate fast frequent trips over the border. I am retired (after 27+ years of military service) and therefore we were able to move close to our ultimate destination without worrying about jobs. Using Lynden, WA as a "home base", I spent several months researching and visiting every school in the Vancouver area. We also were able to make more than 40 cross-border trips in total exploring possible locations to live and simply becoming as acquainted and comfortable as possible with the area. We also subscribed to the Vancouver Sun newspaper and were able to receive all major Vancouver TV stations. As a result of these efforts, were were able to become quite knowledgeable and prevent any potentially poor decisions.

After multiple visits to the campus, speaking with staff, students and faculty, and assessing public transit options, I decided on Langara College as my school of choice. I submitted the application in person. As a prerequisite for beginning classes I was required to sit for the Langara English Assessment Exam. Due to my proximity I was able to write the exam before actually beginning school rather than in my first term, which allowed me to enroll in required courses I would have otherwise been forced to wait for. Approval of the application took about one week.

With the acceptance letter in hand, my wife and I simply drove to the border, paid the fees and left 20 minutes later with my Study Permit and with a Spousal Open Work Permit for her. As U.S. citizens, no medicals were required. I receive a generous pension from my military service and simply showed a current bank statement as proof of funds. At tbe same time we were able to find suitable housing, a family doctor and dentist, exchange our Washington state driving licences for B.C. driving licenses, obtain rental and auto insurance, and apply for B.C. medical plan. As a student you are required to have medical coverage during the three-month waiting period till medical plan coverage takes effect. It can be purchased privately upon your arrival from various companies.

About one month before the beginning of classes, we completed the actual move from Lynden to Vancouver using a local moving company. If you apply early enough, permits are issued to allow arrival several weeks before the beginning of classes. Throughout the entire process the issue of age never came up. As a matter of fact, it actually opened up options not available to younger students. Langara College offers more flexible enrolment options and documentation requirements for "mature students", as do most other schools.

I realise that many /most of the procedures we followed will be impossible for you, but I will attempt to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have to the best of my ability.

Best of luck to you and your family in your endeavour.
Many Thanks for the feedback. Your circumstances are indeed different and more favorable than many of us. However thoughtful and concerned members like you on this forum can make things a lot easier and uncomplicated for many like me.

Here in India there is a general hype that being of age and having a substantial study gap usually calls for rejection of Study permit by Canadian immigration authorities, which has not been true in your case and hopefully should hold true for others as well.

As of now I am concentrating on my IELTS preparation and will opt for admission early next year. I shall definitely come back and approach you / other members for any assistance required in the process.

Thanks once again.

Amit Sarna

Sep 9, 2012
Hi -
Due to long gaps in studies....we can not apply under spp visa category
Like in my case i have completed graduation in 2005n since them I am working ....
.thanks

tiger007

Champion Member
Endurance said:
Many Thanks for the feedback. Your circumstances are indeed different and more favorable than many of us. However thoughtful and concerned members like you on this forum can make things a lot easier and uncomplicated for many like me.

Here in India there is a general hype that being of age and having a substantial study gap usually calls for rejection of Study permit by Canadian immigration authorities, which has not been true in your case and hopefully should hold true for others as well.

As of now I am concentrating on my IELTS preparation and will opt for admission early next year. I shall definitely come back and approach you / other members for any assistance required in the process.

Thanks once again.
Hi,

Age and gap is not a factor if one has a good profile, proper course selection, strong finances, which will clearly indicate that the applicant is a bona fide student... then one will have no problem in getting a study visa. It's not just hype, but widely believed, seen by many applicants, consultants that if one has below 50% in last degree/diploma and have substantial gap..then one should NOT apply under SPP category. General category is more reccomended with people who have longer gaps after their last previous study.

Also, keep in mind..that getting a study permit in their 50's for an American will be much easier compared to that of an Indian, due to obvious factors of nationality, background and motive. Usually form places like India, students who are above 30..mostly go for Professional Master degrees and/or Phd's....

Regards

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

Endurance

Aug 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Age and gap is not a factor if one has a good profile, proper course selection, strong finances, which will clearly indicate that the applicant is a bona fide student... then one will have no problem in getting a study visa. It's not just hype, but widely believed, seen by many applicants, consultants that if one has below 50% in last degree/diploma and have substantial gap..then one should NOT apply under SPP category. General category is more reccomended with people who have longer gaps after their last previous study.

Also, keep in mind..that getting a study permit in their 50's for an American will be much easier compared to that of an Indian, due to obvious factors of nationality, background and motive. Usually form places like India, students who are above 30..mostly go for Professional Master degrees and/or Phd's....

Regards

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.
Hi,
Yes, to an extent this is true about the age factor favoring the Western countries applicants which I overlooked. Can you give me the link for General category requirements as I couldn't find the same on the CIC website, since I am still at the preparation level.

What do you personally( if you are able to analyze) feel about my chances in getting through courses like Trade / Apprentice and Construction programs as compared with Masters / Phd suggested by you? Since these streams are in demand in Canada and the absorption into Employment is much quicker.

Thanks.

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Endurance said:
Hi,
Yes, to an extent this is true about the age factor favoring the Western countries applicants which I overlooked. Can you give me the link for General category requirements as I couldn't find the same on the CIC website, since I am still at the preparation level.

What do you personally( if you are able to analyze) feel about my chances in getting through courses like Trade / Apprentice and Construction programs as compared with Masters / Phd suggested by you? Since these streams are in demand in Canada and the absorption into Employment is much quicker.

Thanks.

Expect refusal for trades/diploma courses, best way is either Master or PhD.

tiger007

Champion Member
Endurance said:
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi,
The checklist for general/SPP/University Canadian study permits is on VFS website - http://www.vfs-canada.co.in
Here is the General study visa checklist/requirements:
http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/pdf/study_permit_17-05-2012.pdf

avd91

Sep 9, 2012
Hi,
I've completed my B.E in Electronics and telecommunication this year securing 65% average.
10th- 93%
12th- 88%
No backlogs.
I am applying for the Database Application Developer course in Seneca college for the Jan '13 intake.
Other option provided to me being Lambton college (Although it's a 2 year course the reviews for the college are very bad) The course they are providing is a Graduate certificate course in IT and web design.
* I want opinions of people who have gone to either colleges and/or the corresponding courses.
* I want to know whether the change in streams from EXTC to IT will pose a threat to get a visa.
* Are Job opportunities available for these courses?
Kindly help. Thanks